1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you consider taking pictures of your doll fun?

Feb 21, 2018

1. I enjoy taking photos of my doll, I only use my phone camera though. I don't like using my fancy camera, it makes it less fun and spontaneous. It's capturing my favorite moments of when she looked particularly cute or I got her outfit just right.

2. I actually really enjoy taking photos of my crew! :dance

I recently started using a better camera and I can't go back to my phone camera anymore :o I think what's really fun for me is seeing what I can achieve through styling, posing and photography. I'm currently taking part in a photo challenge on instagram and I love how it's challenging me to come up with different ideas to fit each theme. It's kicking my creative brain in the butt, but I really enjoy it :D

3. i really enjoying taking pictures of my girls but some more than others due to poseability reasons ^^’

4. yes, great fun for me. I always like photography as a hobby though my skills is not so good. Taking pictures for my boys just adds points to my hobby and also allows me to bond with them closer.

5. I like to take photos, but I am not a pro, and haven't got any cameras. Only my mobile. I think it's more fun, if you have a doll diorama, and props.

6. I use my phone camera, like several people here.

But, most of mine are just kind of candid shots, when my doll accompanies me on my bed or sits at my side. Recently, I have tried a few 'different' shots. So, pictures that might not immediately strike you as being of a doll [their legs and feet, to show off shoes, in a pose and angle that looks more like a selfie] and backlit photos. I mostly do portraits, as I'm a portrait artist. I love faces. And, I'm starting to play with lighting effects. All I have at present are a ring-light that clips on to my phone [and has three settings + strobe effect], my bedside lamps, and a colour-changing LED lamp that doesn't get utilised much as it's a little bulky for the current set-up at my door. I have a piece of black mountboard I use as a backdrop, which can be flipped to the white side. Et voila; mini photo studio!

I don't have the wherewithal for dioramas currently. But, I have some ideas that I need to look into and experiment with. I'm not sure how I'd get them to work just yet, but I've got a bit of time coming up to work on things.

Seeing how the lockdown is going to last a while longer, yet. Might as well pass the time somehow. :sweat

7. I love taking picture of my doll but I take a lot of time for the installations ! But I love most writing poems to illusrtate the pictures I took

8. I (mostly) enjoy the outcome of my doll photo-shoots, but the actual process isn't really fun for me like it was back in my early days in the hobby. I think the problem is I have a vision in my head of how I want the photo(s) to look but then I come face-to-face with the reality of my lack of skill and ability :lol:

9. yes i love taking pics of my dolls. I take more pics of my dolls than anything else. And i think i may be the only person who has got my volks sd mimi (name Abby) on stage at a heavy metal concert. and taken pics. have even gotten a back stage pass a few time so i can get pic of abby sit on the drum set so you see her and the name of the band. i am trying to get better at photo's and doll pics are a great way to doing it. also like to do a lot of out in nature pics.

10. If I had to resign from doing one thing around my dolls it'd be doing faceups followed by photographing. I love sewing and just playing, like redressing and moving the joints, trying on wigs etc., so much more.

Especially now that we're not allowed to go out, indoor photography gets really boring.

11. Not really. I like to work with my hands and to have a physical object to show when it's done. Photography, unless you'll be making prints, exist in the digital world only. So, it takes up a lot of time and energy, but at the end you have nothing to show for it. It's the same reason I dislike working on my computer (like managing my website etc).

The few times I did make prints (work related), I instantly enjoyed photography much more, because I was able to hold the end result in my hand.

12. Taking pictures is what I love doing the most with my dolls!! I take a lot of time trying to get the correct lighting and whatnot.

I'm a photographer by trade, but someone stole my camera recently, so I'm stuck with my phone until I get a new one. ^^; I'm planning on buying a new DSLR soon though!! :>

13. I adore doing photoshoots of my dolls! It's one of my favorite things to do with my dolls. I'll drag my fiancé out on full day trips just to get a nice scenic place for photoshoots. For our last photoshoot we drove about two hours out before stopping for some pics, then kept driving two more to get to another good photoshoot spot. I have a Canon Eos DSLR with the basic lens, but I've been wanting to invest in a nicer lens for more close-up photos.

The only thing that can make photoshoots a little less fun for me is when strangers try to talk to me lol. If they're nice and not too intrusive and don't hang around very long then I don't mind it so much, but I still like to bring my fiancé around as a buffer for anyone who feels the need to be rude or creepy (which hasn't been a huge issue so far, thankfully). :sweat

14. Oh yes! It’s the main part of the hobby for me, besides collecting clothes for them. Having a jointed Doll is so much more satisfying than other types of dolls because I can come up with more interesting poses than I was able to with my American Girl dolls. I’m still not as innovative and adventurous as I want to be with my doll photography but I’m getting there.

15. I think the only fun part for me is posting the picture. Or is it a relief? My back hurts when taking a photo, there is almost always a stray hair I missed and have to edit out and eyes that looked fine are suddenly crooked once it’s finally posted. Yet, I still do it. They’re just too cute not to share.

16. Not really. I much prefer writing stories for them.

17. Mm... not really, and I feel better about it now that I have been able to read that other fellow hobbyists feel the same.
      For years I have felt I love my dolls but I feel I'm not able to catch all their beauty when I take pictures of them (or I find out that there is hair where it shouldn't be -_-'), so most of the photos I take of them end up being discarded without mercy.
      My phone camera isn't very helpful as it is not a very good one, but I usually manage to fix a couple of them a bit with software before posting them so I don't feel like all my efforts have been for nothing.

18. I love taking photos of my dolls. It's a fun and calming experience for me. They're like little models and I can practice my photography skills. It also helps me make a connection between the character I want for them. I took my two Luts girls outside today for a nice photo session and for once it was nice to get some fresh air. Also sure my skin needed the vitamin D from the sun!! I'm more pale than one of Anne Rice's vampires!!! :sorry

19. I live taking pictures of my dolls. Especially when I don’t take it too seriously . I even have a vintage Polaroid camera that I like using . I really enjoy posing and dressing my dolls and then editing the photos I take . :kitty2

20. I love talking pictures of my dolls but I only have my phone now. I don’t have space to make big dioramas or anything eather.
      I’m kinda sorry for my dolls I can’t take good pictures...
      I’m skilled at photoshop, but don’t edit my doll photos after a long day working with the software ...I just feel tired and want to get away from the pc.