1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you consider taking pictures of your doll fun?

Feb 21, 2018

1. I'm not really into photography. I love looking at others doll photos, but I don't take much of them myself. I prefer the character/story aspect of the hobby the most.

2. Photography is an intimidating and mysterious artform to me! My doll photographs have been disappointing so far, as I'm a total novice and don't have a good grasp yet on photography fundamentals. I definitely have a lot to learn! YouTube has been a fun way to learn some basics, and I'm feeling motivated to improve my skills.

3. I always try my best to have a good time whenever I take photos of my dolls. Whether it’s planning poses or props, a great deal of care goes into my vision of that day. I can’t really say that I’m an amazing photographer and I don’t even have a real camera at the moment, but it’s a lot of fun to still take photos whenever I can! :)

4. Photography was part of my job. I used lots of SLR cameras and took heaps of pictures -- for shows, for displays, and for the extended family and friends. We retired, then a few years back we were on a long trip and I lost my camera. I found it very liberating to just be enjoying what I saw instead of trying to format and get the light right, etc. So NO I do not enjoy taking pictures of my dolls or of anything.
      My sincere thanks to any one who does, cause I still enjoy looking and am glad to be an appreciative audience.

5. I am a photographer and have realized that the reason I enjoy my dolls is purely the ability to pose them for photography (and I like their fairy look). I thoroughly enjoy posing them as if they are realistic creatures/natural poses even though I don't really have a story for them. It's a way I can get creative without having to ask someone to hold this or do that. I also LOVE macro photography and because my ladies are small, they fit in with the details beautifully :D So I just roll with the season and time of day and edit at home like my other work lol

I love seeing photos of dolls in nature so the more the merrier!

[​IMG]Life in the grass by Ohmyhi, on Flickr

#145 ohmyhi, Aug 10, 2020
      Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
    6. If you don't have the skills (like me), photography can be such a pain. And the desire to buy a new doll overpowers the desire to buy a normal camera.
      So for me the dolls themselves bring pleasure, and the photos are not very important.

7. I don't find photography enjoyable in the slightest. I don't have the patience, the knowledge, the skill, or the desire to learn, and every time I try to force myself to practice, I'm always irritated by how awful my results are. I know you can't improve without practicing, but if I don't get anything fun out of it, I'd rather use my spare times doing things I actually find fulfilling.

That being said, I WISH I liked photography! I absolutely love all those gorgeous doll photoshoots, the skill and time and work put into them is amazing, and I'd love to be able to convey the same beauty and emotions with my own dolls. It truly is an art form, and maybe someday something will click in my brain that'll make me want to figure it all out, but for now, I leave it to the real photographers.

8. Instagram has made it less stressful to take casual photos of my dolls. Even with my crappy cell phone camera. I don't feel nearly as bad as I once did when photos with the DSLR didn't work out the way I wanted them to. I know so little in the way of taking good pictures. These days since there is always so so much going on beside the dolls, the crappy cell phone pictures are ok.

9. I easily feel tried when I take photos of doll. :abambi: I guess I'm just a lazy man:sweat