1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you ever change your doll's names?

Aug 30, 2017

1. I guess I've technically renamed one of my dolls? I say that only because he still has the same name, but I dropped his last name completely. So instead of being "Riley McGregor" he's just "Riley" now. His backstory and character changed but the name Riley just suits him so well, I couldn't bring myself to change it.

Other than that, my dolls are based on preexisting OCs so their names are already built in when I buy them. Unless I reshell them I don't typically rename them.

2. I was going to name one of my dolls Bichun, but then I realized that that name was mostly just tied to that one IH sculpt, and that what little else I could find did not match the character. So I tried looking up Korean names, but none stuck quite as well. Then I remembered a manhwa I used to read and named him after the main character Jee-han (with the spelling variation Ji-han). Now it feels odd to think of him as Bichun.

#62 iamkathybrown, Aug 31, 2018
      Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
    3. Well since I have one doll, I sometimes I changer her name depending what she’s wearing. But she will always have her original regardless. I guess when it comes to photographing it tells a different story with a different name.

4. Since I usually think of a style/character after I receive the doll, I still have a tendency to call my dolls by the names given by the company in my head. Maybe that's why quite often the new names don't stick so much because I think of them as rather names of the current styles and characters on the doll instead of the name of the doll itself. I am not bothered by this too much now anymore as I treat it rather like evolution in what interests me and what characters I want to have, but I remember being frustrated by it at the beginning. Maybe once I decide to make profiles on DOA for my collection the names might stick...

5. All my dolls have multiple names owing to the circumstances of their story. It's mainly a "birth name" versus "name attained via adoption" kind of thing. Nonetheless, I have a doll whose character literally has no name of her own and only goes by "Mother" or "Grandmother" depending on who's addressing her. I guess I'll give her a decent name eventually, but for now I find it difficult to think of any other name to address her than a plain old "Okaasan".

6. I never did with Normally I won’t named :aeyepop:

7. I have a very hard time naming my dolls haha... my MSD girl has gone through two names because I forgot what the original name was. Clearly it didn’t suit her! She’s Delphi now. My pukifee remains unnamed and it’s sort of a running joke with my best friend. I will name her soon hopefully orz

8. I had some trouble to name my doll...there was a lot of options but then a cousin of mine looked at him and said "he's gonna be Bill".
      Since I didn't find a proper name to him, we kept calling him Bill, and it ended up being Bill until now :sweat
      Bill is cool, but I think it doesn't fit my doll at all :d

9. no,i think a lot before i name any of my dolls because i want them to have a set identity and not just a toy that can be called anything

10. Yes. Sometimes a name doesn't work out the way I want, a doll/character get reshelled, etc. It doesn't bother me and has never confused anyone.

11. Yes. One doesn't even have a name yet, and my girl Sorcha went through about five name changes until settling on hers. Elfie picked that one, even though she's an elf and it's kind of redundant. I'm still trying to convince her otherwise... I'm about to rename another character, as well as reshell him if I can sell his head. He already has no body =/

12. I actually renamed my first male doll a few days ago! He originally had a name that was fitting for him before I finally discovered a character that suited another doll. This doll also happened to sit around for a year without a face-up or clear image. That new character happened to have the same first name... And I didn't want two. The newer guy claimed the name since he is a character that already exists and it wouldn't make sense to change it.

13. i'm really bad at naming things, so i put a lot of work into naming my dolls ^^' it would be sooo hard to rename them after all that .... plus, i feel like their names are sort of part of their identity.
      actually, one of my dolls i bought used and had fully intended to rename, but after meeting his old owner to pick him up and hearing her introduce him fondly as Logan, i couldn't think of him by any other name, and i'll probably never change it.

14. I don't have my first doll, yet but am already writing down lists of names for her before she shows up. I am going to try to figure one out that will stick. Nad if it doesn't then I might change it. I feel like some of these other guys do about figuring it out BEFORE it sticks.

BUT, at the end of the day, the doll is yours. If you don't feel the name is right then change it. :) if you aren't happy with him it might turn into a situation of not bonding with him anymore. Good luck!

15. Cyn has had 3 names now :XD: When I first got her she was Caroline, then I changed it to Fen, now she's Cyn. I didn't really have a character hammered out for her when I first got her and each name change has come with a redesign. Imo if it doesn't feel right, change it! But I also seem to have the opposite workflow from a lot of people- I start a design with a vague aesthetic concept and as I'm working on it the character starts forming, and the name seems to come last.

16. I have a few times, especially if it is a doll that I've restyled quite a bit. The personality comes out more and sometimes that doesn't match the original name I had picked out!

17. I actually have 2 dolls that I'm remaking as totally new characters because I want to have the characters they are now as different dolls! My Abio Angel, and My little Fair Ren are going to be turned into a Mother/Son pair. I'm pretty excited for it! actually thinking that I might try and do the face-ups myself too.

OwO

I haven't decided what the names are going to be yet. I probably won't till after their faces are done.

Really though, with the changeable nature of these dolls, I don't think it's strange at all to give them new names or concepts. It's probably one of my favorite things about them. They can be anything you want them to be... and if what you want changes, then so can they.

18. I changed my girl’s name after repainting. It didn’t suit her any more :roll:

19. Technically, no? Though I've had a few situations with non-bjd collections where I started thinking of a doll differently, sold it, and then acquired a different version of the same doll that I renamed.

20. Only if the whole doll is changing. I have one head and body combo that used to be the Riddler, but I redid the whole doll and now he's an OC named Griffin. I don't just change their names for the hell of it or because I suddenly don't like the name or am tired of it ....they have to be completely different.