1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you ever get scared to order a doll?

Jul 13, 2021

1. Every time I think of buying one. And I usually don’t end up buying them because I get to anxious:|

2. That's exactly how I felt purchasing my first doll, as I hadn't spent that much money on one item in half a decade. Even though I saved up over a few years for the doll, when the moment came to place the order, I was shaking and quivering! :sweat

I ended up forgetting all my worries after a week of placing the order, but it unfortunately all came rushing back when the package arrived on my doorstep. I guess seeing the fruits of my purchase made it feel all the more real. I ended up leaving the package there for a few hours before I could even bring myself to open it.

Now that I've actually got the doll and had time to get used to owning it, I don't feel anxietious about it anymore, thankfully.

To be honest, I'm not sure where these kinds of worries come from, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was some mixture of spending anxiety, worries about regrets, and just plain old self doubt -- which may be worsened by the fact that I have a horrible habit of impulse-buying things and then promptly forgetting they even exist.

I don't really know if I'll have the same experience when I purchase a second doll (or a third, a fourth, and so on...), but I sure hope I don't!

3. For me it works both ways. I worry whether I'll regret buying a doll, but I also worry very much about regretting NOT buying a doll. I spent a lot of time and money chasing after dolls I regretted not buying when they were available.

I have in the past given myself a while to think about buying or ordering a doll, only to have the doll be discontinued (or sold, if it was a second-hand purchase). I've also gone through a period of buying too many dolls in too short a time.

I think it's retail therapy. Some women buy shoes they will never wear, I buy dolls. I'm basically the Immelda Marcos of the BJD hobby. LOL!!!

4. I get nervous at dropping more than $50 on literally anything haha so a doll definitely makes me nervous

Even my first doll (non BJD) which was literally only $12 - yes, $12, not a typo - made me think I was wasting money on something 'silly' - but, a year later, I love the little cutey and enjoy making clothes for her still!

My more expensive dolls (I have 2 that are over $400, 1 that's almost $200 and a handful that were $20-30 each) all get love and make me extremely happy, so now I don't get as nervous buying dolls :)

The feeling is still there of course - but, I research and look up the doll I want for months before finally biting the bullet, and the money is set aside the whole time specifically in a 'fun money' fund that doesn't effect bills or savings or important things, so I feel better getting the things I want.

5. I just started collecting around June. I get that sensation where my heart beats really fast and loud and nervous at the same time when pressing that buy button. But I don’t think it’s because of being scared. It’s more of an excitement kind of feeling.

6. Definitely. Although majority of them I don't regret. I'll usually wait a bit on it to see if I still want them though or a good opportunity. If I can find them in the second-hand market even better.

7. This is a hard no for me. I tend to be very impulsive with money. It’s a bad trait of mine. I’m trying to get better with it, but it’s difficult. I honestly wish I felt the fear some of you experience, because I think it would help me take the time to think through my purchases more, and spend my money wisely.

8. I do all the time, anytime I spend $ on myself but I remind myself I give to others all the time. I take care of my elderly parents and I donate to charities so it’s ok to have something just for me. :)

9. I knew I wanted to order an artist doll. I've been watching the artist's creation since last year. But my situation has changed a lot in the last year - back when the doll started, there was no way I could justify ordering the doll! I'd lost my job due to the ongoing everything, I wasn't sure if or when it would come back, and it didn't pay super well anyway...

now, for better or worse, I have a more stressful but much better paying job. I can absolutely afford the doll but! I waited a few days because they're going to be my most expensive doll ever and I never expected to be able to afford them!

Finally jumped and joined the preorder a few hours ago because, heck, if I'm going to be doing this stressful job, I am also going to enjoy the fruits of my labor. Although I will be annoyed if the artist comes out with a mature tiny version of this sculpt in the future for a little cheaper, because I almost prefer that size doll.... Ah well!

10. This should be normal, after all, this is a lot of money. Moreover, the real object is often not seen before buying, and it will inevitably feel that there is a sense of unreality.

11. I had almost 0 trepidation about buying dolls when I started in the hobby. Of course, I also was 17 and had absolute 0 impulse control, and almost all my doll-buying happened while in an acute mood state. Now, I feel a little more hesitation, which is good, because I've had to sell a lot of dolls that I ordered too impulsively. As a plus, if you ever find the doll you ordered just doesn't work for you, selling isn't that bad, and that's how I rationalize some of my doll spending when I'm iffy on a sculpt and want to see it in person, for instance.

12. This exactly!:) Though I think the fear of missing out on a doll that is the perfect shell of one of my characters is even more compelling and has been the driving force behind amassing a fairly substantial collection (far more than I ever dreamed I’d have going into this hobby all those years ago!)

13. I get nervous, yes. It is a lot of cash going through the wires and transforming into a beautiful resin baby for you. But worse yet, does it get lost in transit, does it get *GASP* damaged in transit?! Did i write my adress right?!
      I think i was the most scared when i bought my first doll, the second worst time was when i bought my Trinity doll. But by then i knew just how lovely the company is and less worried about the process in general, but still. Those things are PRICEY.

14. I think its perfectly normal for us frugal folk to think twice before confirming an order haha. Especially since doll collecting is not a need, in fact you could classify it as a luxury. That being said having hobbies and doing things you enjoy is important to having a healthy, fulfilling life. So once I do confirm an order I try not to think about it, the money is gone to me, as if it never existed. Then I just sit and wait patiently (not so patiently) for my doll :)

15. I don't feel nervous or anxious about purchasing dolls because I buy to keep so I am always certain of what I want and why I love them. I can understand it though, they are big purchases for most people. I consider them art like any other and display them as such.

16. Crazy wait times will stop me in my tracks. Call me a “back in my day” old curmudgeon but if a company regularly takes six months or even more to send out a blank doll, I’ll buy it second hand or not at all. Both because of the wait itself and not wanting to reward bad business practices by just accepting them.

17. This is my thing too...I don't order dolls unless I'm 100% sure that all responsibilities are covered first, so the money part doesn't scare me...but after my last couple experiences with wait times, I actually would use the word "scared" to describe my feelings towards ordering another one. I'm currently at 2 years, 2 months on my (first and LAST!) Dollshe order, and yesterday marked one year of waiting for my Impldoll order...and no idea when I'll see either one. It's added such unnecessary stress and unpleasantness into what is supposed to be an enjoyable hobby, and I really don't want to subject myself to this kind of bullcrap again.

18. Holy crap I’m so sorry you’re going through that :(

19. I'm another member of the "Never ordering new form Dollshe again" party. I ordered through BJDivas (Thank goodness), and I've been in contact with them and that's reassuring, but its now been 2 years and 11 months. :roll: I knew I was in for a long wait, but this is ridiculous. I have ordered and received multiple dolls during that time, so it hasn't put me off ordering dolls in general, just anything else from this company.

On a separate thought, I've learned buying is far easier than selling. It's a pain to re-sell a doll that's doesn't work for me, but I don't want to regret not ordering either. I don't allow myself to even consider buying dolls that are only available through Taobao, since dealing with that seems way too stressful. Just ordering a Granado head that wasn't sold on their regular website, and only offered to past customers made me a little nervous. I'm happy I did though.

20. Not as often as when I first entered the hobby. My relationship with money has greatly improved, and I have felt more confident in every purchase in my life. I know emergencies do come up and I have savings for such things, but I do not have unlimited amounts of funds so when I do purchase anything that I do not "Need" for basic survival ( food...) I have a little apprehension and so I go and examine myself and ask if I am correct to have it and should I be making that purchase? And once I revaluate what I am going to buy, I do it or I do not. I intend to live with as little regret as possible.