1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you ever have trouble vizualising wigs you see online on your doll?

Jul 31, 2010

1. Yes, this is definitely an issue sometimes! It can be especially challenging if I see a wig style that I like but it is pictured on a different size doll. Some wig manufacturers wigs can look quite different from one size to another even if the style is the same. As others have answered, I usually try to find pics of the wig on dolls in the size I want and that helps a lot. Other times, I just go ahead and buy it and hope it works out. I have been disappointed a few times but I've also been pleasantly surprised-there have been times when a wig doesn't look good on the doll I bought it for but it will look perfect on another doll in my collection.

2. It actually happens to me all the time..but I still get the wig if I really like it..

3. I had this problem when I was ordering a wig for Tovi when I was ordering him and before I knew who he was. I was looking on the Luts site cuz I was new and a friend of mine was new to BJDs and she said Luts had nice wigs (in the future, if I'm only ordering a wig, I know to shop local cuz the shipping was as much as the wig). So I saw the silver wig and I immediately knew what his name would be (ended up being a pre-existing character of mine even though it wasn't planned that way in the beginning) but had a hard time picturing the wig on him, if that makes sense. Luts MSDs are children and AOD MSDs are more mature so I had a hard time deciding how good it would look on a Chi when I could only see it on a Bory. I was afraid that Luts heads looked bigger and the wig would therefore probably be too big. I also worried that it would look like a mullet cuz of the way the back is layered. But there was just something about that wig that I knew it had to be Tovarious so I got it and just worried til my doll actually came in but everything was fine and I worried over nothing. But yeah, I have a hard time picturing wigs on a doll til I can see it on that doll. Same thing with ordering clothes and even when I'm thinking of dying or cutting my own hair. Can't picture it til it's done.

4. I have a hard time visualizing this sort of thing, too, so I just wing it! XD I think about whether I like the wig enough to take the chance, and if I do I try it out. Thankfully I like having different types of wigs to try out and my dolls aren't supposed to be specific characters, so there's lots of room for interpretation.

5. All the time. The onetime I didn't have this issue was with a leeke wig... but when I got it - the part in the bangs was going over the opposite side from the photos. I'm not sure it's fixable either. : \ Wigs are a serious pain in the butt!

6. It's not often that I don't have trouble visualizing a wig on my dolls (or anything for that matter). For just my one SD boy, I've probably ordered about 7 different wigs. :doh

7. Yep certainly having this problem at the moment! i'd try and draw it out but I totally can't draw at the moment. ahhh! which is a real pain in the ass. Im resorting to using photoshop at the moment and trying to get wigs to match that way but its hard for certain types. next best thing is to just buy it, and hope it re-sells! xD

8. I think that's my biggest obstical when it comes to wig shopping.
      It doesn't necessarily have to be on my doll, or even my doll's specific mold for me to know if I'll like it, but I find if it's not on a Minifee I may be put off the wig (or the clothes) just by my lack of an attraction to the doll that's modelling it. So far I only like Fairyland dolls, so that makes shopping a bit difficult.
      Wigs are the worst, because it's very hard to look at just the wig without taking in the doll's face. I'm not good enough at photoshop to be able to make a judgement call based on editing the wig onto a photo of my doll, either.

I just find out what wigs people are using on the dolls when I see one I like and then try to bear that in mind as I shop that company's inventory.

9. I frequently have this problem. Fortunately because I draw and write so much, my imagination is fairly good, so with some focus, I can imagine it. If worst comes to worst, I try to find a doll of mine's sculpt with a similar wig, and just imagine it in a different color if needed.

10. I think my problem is that pictures of wigs aren't always representative of what you get when you recieve it and the look ends up being entirely wrong.

11. I have a problem with the one on the screen not looking like the one I get - it can be very dissapointing

12. I'm really good at visualizing how the wig will look, so that's the easy part. Actually having the wig fit is my downfall! I measure, make sure the wig is the correct size, and still fail. It's because all of my dolls are hard to fit, sigh.

13. Sometimes the wig from official photo just isn't like, when it arrived. I try my best to bought only a wig per doll but end up with 2 wigs which just can't suit any of them, although the promo photos look exactly like what I plan for my doll's characters and 1 free wig which I got from Doll Heart and have no plan to use. I guess I should just sell them again or use as temporary wig during cleaning my doll's wig.

14. Every time... and it's so frustrating... especially when you're trying to pick a wig for a new doll -m-;;;;

15. I really have this problem, but I just try to imagine the wig on a doll, or find pictures of a similar wig on a similar doll that really helps ;)

16. Oh, I always feel this way about wigs. Wigs are kind of a risk taking purchase, at least, for me. :P
      I guess, when I really think about it, I can somewhat imagine the wig on them but I don't think very effectively. Haha. x3

17. Oh yes, I do all the time! I always seem to miscalculate bangs and end up with wigs that have too long bangs >< But they almost always look shorter on the dolls they are modeled on. Maybe it's just that mine have strangely proprtioned features? o.O

18. I have a ton of wigs and eyes for my kids and I have been in this hobby less than a year, so I can relate. I think what troubles me the most is when you see a wig on the company site and it looks wonderful and thick and vibrant, then once it gets here it's not the same color and/or it's super thin and not at all what the original photo looked like.

19. Visualizing the wig on the doll is pretty easy for me, but visualizing what the wig will ACTUALLY look like isn't that easy, especially if the seller has bad pictures.