1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you ever regret over a doll you bought?

Sep 24, 2017

1. Yeah have done so :( Was an impulse buy and didn't do enough research!

2. Yes!! I found with my Supiadoll Juah that there are too many angles I dislike with her and she doesn’t fit my character at all. Wish I had waited.

3. Usually I feel it literally seconds after I've pressed the "buy now" button, but not really after that. I feel like once the doll is in my hands I'm instantly in customization mode and any disappointment I feel is sort of written off as antsiness about not being done yet.

I think it's a lot easier to not be disappointed if you go in with no real expectations...

4. never, I'm lucky:cheer

5. I wasn't thrilled with one of my girls when I got her. Rather than resell her, I changed her wig and heavily modified her into something I liked.

Buying dolls I regret was however a recurring dream for a while. :sweat

6. With a head, yes. It was my fault though; I knew full well the head I really wanted, I was just putting it off. Fortunately it sold pretty quickly and I was able to buy the right one.

7. Not exactly regret, but I have been disappointed by the timing of things before. I ordered a Dollfie Dream Luka thinking "oh well, I couldn't get Rin or Len but I can get her" and then very shortly afterward Volks rereleased Rin and Len. I was perfectly happy with Luka but I wished the timing had allowed me to get all three.

8. Yup, I've purchased a "rebound" doll after selling my MSD, thinking maybe I'd prefer a tiny. She's cute but we've never really bonded.

9. I regret the number of dolls I bought in 2011 (one every month). Funnily enough though, I still own almost all of those dolls and with one exception I've only sold ones that were older or newer buys, which means that strictly speaking I don't actually regret purchasing those 12 dolls in and of themselves.

10. I recently bought a Kikipop (OT) after wanting one for years and i disliked her the first time I saw her in person. It was heart breaking!

11. Yeah I had it once and I still couldn't sell her because nobody wants her. She is a 1/6 scale Legrand doll Lidia and I saw her and noticed I don't like mature tinies. Seems most of the collectors had this situation.

12. Haven't had this happen so much with full dolls, but I've definitely had a few body/head purchases I did regret.

I was eyeing the 66cm Classydoll boy body for a character while they still were releasing it, thinking it would fit one particular character. A short time after I placed the order, however, I took notice of the Dollshe discount sale for the old 18M bodies and did a mental facepalm. They were priced around the same as the Classydoll body, and had been exactly what I wanted. I ended up feeling more regret upon receiving the body, as it didn't at all fit what I was looking for, looked very odd in person, and also came with the worry of possibly fragile knee resin that I wasn't aware of until after I made the purchase (I'd heard they were notorious for having cracking problems at the knees).

Another body regret was the Doll Legend 70cm body, which turned out to be much larger and muscular in person than I thought (and didn't work at all for any of the characters I had planned). I eventually sold both of them off.

As for heads...Resinsoul Lian. The whole process of getting the head and a matching body was a fiasco (mess up with the body type, and then settling for an available color (the original was going to be custom matched) that turned out to be too light), and by the time I had the whole doll ready, I found trying to get the head matched to the body to be too much of a hassle to work with, and that Lian no longer fit the character I originally planned. So both head and body were sold off.

To some extent...I could also say my first bjd was a bit of a regretful purchase. I did love her at first, did photo shoots with her for a time, and had chosen her out of a list of possibilities I found. But...I think my heart has always been set on SDs (she was an MSD). It's been a while since then, but I recall having an interest in getting an SD around the time I got my first girl. She eventually spent several years hibernating away in her box, and at the beginning of this past summer got re-homed to a family friend who really wanted her own bjd.

13. No, not yet, pray to god.

14. I don't really regret buying. I regret NOT buying, but never buying.

I do try not to buy on impulse, though. I really try and think before buying, and make sure I'm committed to buying...

15. This is a major concern of mine. It makes me very cautious about what dolls I buy. I do feel I have one thing going for me. I don’t shell characters and I don’t care if my dolls match. So if I got a doll that was different from what I expected if nothing else I’d still be excited about getting a doll. I think the biggest regret I’m liable to have is “why did I spend money on this doll when I could have waited for THIS doll?!”

But I could find out I’m wrong in the future. I hope not but I could be!

16. It has happened a few times. I think they are beautiful but I just don't feel bonded. I don't like to force it. I know instantly when I don't like the doll. It sucks but hopefully the next one will be the one. I have one doll so far that I would never let go. I have one that my husband loves so she isn't going anywhere. Just put my grail on layaway and I hope I am not disappointed.

17. Yes I have. My Loong soul Morgan as I bought him on an impulse. I didn’t fall in love with the doll and is selling it now

18. I have, sadly, a couple of times.
      For starters, I settled for a certain sculpt for my first doll that fitted in my very limited budget, being afraid I wouldn't like the resin or the joints system or whatever. I also ordered her without face-up or clothing because of the same stupid reason and it took me months to get her properly characterised. I couldn't bond with her in the end and decided to sell, maybe even leave the hobby but then I found a head that instantly captured my attention and she is with me since then.
      And in the past two years I have made a couple of impulse purchases trying to get me more involved with my dolls but they're not working like I thought they would so... probably they'll all end up for sale but I'm still trying.

19. For a small amount of time I absolutely hated my Luts Honey Delf. Things happened and now I am content with her existence.

20. There have been a few that I just looked at and immediately said "Nope" to once I had them in-hand and unboxed... My Migi Yujin and Gomi Igon heads, an AS Gabriel, my Volks Hasekura, a Soom Sphaler and an Arkose, an OnlyDoll YiFeng, that gun-metal grey disaster of a MiroDoll guy... It's just one of the hazards of picking a new member of the crew based on nothing but photographs. Depth *matters*, and sometimes finally being able to see a sculpt up close and in person really does make all the difference between loving it or not.

I don't regret those dolls, exactly. Each was a learning experience, and helped me to refine my own "This is What Works"-guidelines for the crew, and there's value in that. But selling dolls is a pain, so the fact that there have been relatively few misfires in the course of my collecting is also a good thing.

#40 Brightfires, Nov 11, 2018
      Last edited: Nov 11, 2018