1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you ever regret over a doll you bought?

Sep 24, 2017

1. I received my first bjd a couple of months ago and I do regret getting her. I just didn't give it a lot of thought at the time and it was an impulse buy :(

2. I've been surprised how one of my dolls I bought had such a defined character for before and when he arrived it didn't fit him, nor did his intended name, it took several weeks and him just sitting there and I found his name and gradually he's started to come together. I never once regretted him though, he just hadn't ended up being what I'd expected but somehow it works even better now.

Another I was quite worried I wouldn't love, the more owner pics and company pics I saw the more I thought I might not like him. In real life I adore him, so you just never know!

I do have one head I sort of regret because I don't love him anymore, I think he looks morose, weirdly I loved him when he arrived, he had a name and everything but before I could buy him a body I bought another full doll who stole his identity :lol: and now I don't like him much at all. Even weirder though the doll who stole his identity I disliked when I opened the box, he had the nicest, sweetest face and we did not click :lol: but I wiped his face and once he was redone I loved him instantly.

3. I wound up with a ResinSoul but I didn't get him because I really wanted him... my hubby said I could get a doll, but gave me a budget that I couldn't go over. So I kinda got a doll just...cause I could get one. Even with a faceup and a stolen head that freaked me out... in the end I just couldn't bond with him, at all...

4. I cannot say that I ever regretted a bjd-specific purchase that lasted. When I bought my MaskCat head, she came with a smudge on her nose and it made me so upset that I regretted buying her. My mood grew even worse about it because I had not had the funds to purchase her body yet so all I could do was put the head back in its box and away in my closet. I emailed MaskCat about it and they were responsive (asking for pictures to see the mark and how I could remove it) but still upset it happened at all.
      It's been a few months since this and I took her head out the other day and find that my regret is gone and replaced with an anxious excitement to finally buy her body.

Non-bjd dolls? Yes, I have made some impulse buys on lower cost dolls that I regretted multiple times. With bjds or other high-cost/quality dolls,

I find that I usually do tons of research and price comparing and all that before the dolls even end up on my wish list so when I finally bring them home there is nothing but excitement and relief.

5. To be honest, I really regret the first doll I bought. A few weeks after I bought him and was waiting for him to be made, I found a company and sculpts I liked way more. It was just my newbie mistake of getting one of the first dolls I saw that I liked, but wasn't in love with.
      I still think he's lovely, but now he no longer fits with my crew and doesn't really match with what I wanted to go for, so I've decided to sell him so he can go to someone who will love him more.
      I've definitely learned my lesson from it though, and I've learned what sort of sculpts I really enjoy and love, so in the future I won't make the same mistake.

6. This was exactly what happened to me :sweat

7. Unfortunately that’s what happened with my first three dolls, I just didn’t bond with them at all. But I don’t regret it since I got to experiment with a lot of different sizes and styles of dolls during that time and eventually found my favorite girl and the first doll I’ve bonded with! Fourth times the charm I guess?...

8. I wished I hadn't spent 105 on a Dal back when the Vocaloid ones were out. I still have it and I wish I could've sold it.

However, I'd rather keep it, versus the times I've been asked by random strangers to just give it to them.

9. i regret the first doll, or well, head i bought. it didn't suit what i wanted at all and just sat tucked in a draw for months so i didn't have to look at it. i've found a purpose for it now, but i'm still reluctant to buy a wig and eyes for it. it just felt like such a waste of money for so long i guess i just don't want to "waste" anymore money on it.
      i probably wouldn't have bought this head at all if i'd waited and look around a little more, but i guess these are the things you gotta learn when trying out something new? this head taught me not to rush into bjd-related things and that knowledge has certainly come in handy over the past year.

10. I regretted buying my first for a while, actually! I think I felt pretty underwhelmed by him. I put him away for a couple months and only just recently brought him back out, swapped out his eyes, and I like him a little better now. I'm planning on experimenting with clothing and wigs in the coming weeks and seeing what sticks.

11. Yes, unfortunately! I bought Iplehouse Vanessa on new SID body and I really regret that decision =( She doesn’t fit my character
      and IIplehouse did a terrible make-up (overdo with rouge) so she looks like she has diathesis.

12. I regretted buying iplehouse vannesa cos i found her looking a bit manly. But with a suitable wig on she looks pretty.

13. YUP! DZ was discontinuing several of their 1/4 sculpts and I purchased through Mint on Card, it was a 6th month wait. Which I was fine with, I don't mind waiting.

Well, 6 months rolls by and I got an email from MoC explaining to me that DZ made the wrong doll head (the fullset was the correct one though) and then listed my options I could take from there. I asked for pictures of the doll DZ made but ultimately decided that I wanted to doll I originally chose.

So I waited another 6 months for DZ to correct my order.

Finally, roughly a year (almost to the day) I recieved the doll I purchased, and I hated her.

She looked absolutely nothing like the promo photos, the fullset outfit didn't fit like it was supposed to (there were 2 very similar bodies at the time and the only difference was the bust size and i think that's what got mixed up). And it was overall a dreadful experience that I was extremely upset about. I couldn't look at her for weeks.

I tried playing with her, dressing her up and trying to bond but nothing worked. I ended up taking the doll to a meet up to talk with someone who was older and had been in this hobby far longer then I have been.

Since changing the makeup and getting clothes that fit better, I love her a lot more compared to when i first got her.

14. I have regretted twice. At one time, it was my favorite face, but not the color I wanted, and at the other time it was my favorite price, but not the face I wanted. I learned a lot from two regrets. Since then, I have not regretted.