1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you ever take "breaks" or "vacations" from the hobby?

Nov 28, 2011

1. Wow, I am just like you. I also seem to be going through phase's where I'm into one hobby more than another. As for doll collecting in general I have been collecting my entire life, so it has definately been off and on. As for BJD's specifically I have not really taken a break yet and I don't necessarily think I will. The reason I say that is because one of my other hobbies is needle felting, I love making little creatures! The only thing I love more than making these little guys is posing them with one of my dolls. It is just so cute seeing a doll hold one! I also have been trying my hand and making doll clothes. So I think if I am into another hobby (like needle felting or sewing) it will still have something to do with my dolls. I think my dolls will always be a part of my other hobbies I'm into.

2. Never!

Not once since I started in 2008. But some times I do need a little break from some of my dolls. I have had a good break from my BID Naias. I did not know quite how I have ended up feeling about her. And so I stored her in my doll bag for many months.

Then just a few days ago I took her back out. And my love for her got all back. Now I have ordered her some new clothes and hair. And I`ll start over with her.

• What's the longest "BJD Break" you've ever taken?
      About a year and half, probably 2 years. I came back around last year and have been fading in and out since. I like to check up on meetups and read threads if I have time.
      • What are the various reasons you take breaks from the hobby? (Is it just because your interests wane, or because of finances, living situations, etc?)
      I got a job back in 2010 and another dog in 09 so I was really busy. Financially I just didn't have the money to afford buying new clothes and getting doll related items. I just didn't have time to look at them I guess. :(
      • When you get back in to BJDs after coming out of a "break," do you have any guilt for neglecting your dolls or the community?
      To be honest, no. I have more things I'm focused on right now, my job is a major one and also working out as well as doing agility classes with my youngest dog. Right now my two OC are laying in there box where they have been since I last decided to change their clothes which was a few months ago, haha. I have a non character doll, meaning it's just a doll, that I can't seem to sell and he's just sitting on a shelf in the same pose for almost a year. I dust him off from time to time.:sweat I think I pay more attention to the art side of my OC then the dolls right now...*_*
      • When you've taken a long break from BJDs, do you have to deal with any skepticism from your family or friends about how much you love BJDs? Do you find yourself having the same issues you had with them when first starting in the hobby?
      Not sure who would get skeptic of me, lol. Nobody cares I like dolls as I never talk about them since most of my friends think they're creepy.

3. ​How long do your "breaks" typically last?

I typically go months, MONTHS without touching my dolls. Sometimes I pack them away and don't even look at them for months.
      What's the longest "BJD Break" you've ever taken?

This one that I'm just getting out of was probably the longest. I haven't done much with any of them for a good year or so, I'll estimate since Novemeber/December 2010, except move them from my apt, to my mothers for the summer, and in my new place in another city.

What are the various reasons you take breaks from the hobby? (Is it just because your interests wane, or because of finances, living situations, etc?)
      I'm not particularly active to begin with. I like having them around, and I redress them every once and a while, or repaint them once a year. Besides maintenance and the very seldom photography shoot, I don't do much with them except have them sitting around my room looking like their adorable selves.

Most recently though, my break was caused by anger towards another doll owner I was friends with in real life. The dolls brought that anger back and reminded me of her ridiculousness and immaturity that caused me to terminate my association with her. I had to spend a number of months dealing with her until school ended, so that was enough of a reminder. It's just now, more than a year later that I'm getting over the feelings of anger (they have turned to the bad kind of pity), and am forcing myself to associate my dolls with feeling good again (rather than victimized or whatever was even going on with Crazy Doll Owner A, nobody even knows now).
      When you get back in to BJDs after coming out of a "break," do you have any guilt for neglecting your dolls or the community?
      I feel guilt pretty constantly. I would say I love them, and am attached to them, but feel bad because I don't interact with them the way other owners do. As for the community, I really am not part of it to begin with.

4. Do you ever find yourself taking "breaks" from the hobby? If so:

How long do your "breaks" typically last?
      Oh, they vary all the time. Sometimes I'm out of the hobby for a couple months, sometimes it's half a year.

About a year? Though as I'm pretty much still on a break (at least on the buying or doing anything with my dolls sides of things.) The last doll I bought (that I've kept) was in March of last year... but since then I've paid very little attention to my BJDs outside of selling off a large part of my collection.

What are the various reasons you take breaks from the hobby?
      Usually it's because my interests are focused on something else, but the current "break" I'm on is due to lack of finances. I had 24 dolls at one point last year, but I found I wasn't enjoying them because most of them I'd acquired because they were inexpensive, and not dolls I'd actually planned on owning. I also found it hard to enjoy them when I had bills piling up, so I started selling them off. This break has mostly consisted of selling off a good portion of my collection (I'm down to 9 dolls). I still haven't done much at all with my BJDs in the past year - they've mostly just sat on a shelf - but I'm busy with other hobbies again, and I'm also job hunting so I'm preoccupied with other things at the moment. ^^; I also just don't have the extra cash to put into my dolls at the moment.

When you get back into BJDs after coming out of a "break," do you have any guilt for neglecting your dolls or the community?
      Not at all! I often stay active in the forums even when I'm on a break, so while I may not pay attention to my dolls I'm not totally out of the hobby altogether. I think if my hobby was causing me to feel guilt, I'd need to reconsider it as a hobby - I feel I buy my dolls so that I can enjoy them whenever I'd like... even if I may take 12 months in between enjoying them at times. xD They're not like my pets who I need to feed/water all the time, I can just leave my dolls on a shelf and come back to them later on. I know I'll enjoy them when I get back to them, so there's no guilt here. :)

When you've taken a long break from BJDs, do you have to deal with any skepticism from your family or friends about how much you love BJDs? Do you find yourself having the same issues you had with them when first starting in the hobby?
      I did from my sister... mainly because I've paid more attention to my Pullips lately than my BJDs. She kept telling me I probably didn't like BJDs as much as I originally did... and while I argued it at first, I honestly found that she was right. It's not to say I don't still adore my BJDs, I'm just not as obsessed? as I was when I first got into the hobby. When I first got into the hobby, the only real issues I had to deal with was my parents going "why so much money!?", and that issue is long gone now. :3

5. i'm exactly the same way. i'll get into one hobby, and i do absolutely nothing else for months, and then i totally quit for a few months, do something else, and then get back into the other one. i can't do things casually, but i have too many interests, so i also can't do them all at the same time. ^^

6. I'm currently on a break that has lasted for the better part of a year. Admittedly, it began I was a little burnt out by the (perceived) pace of the hobby, and I ended up selling half my dolls and putting the rest away on hold.

But my life right now is quite busy, and my priorities have changed over the years, as has the way I spend my free time. Dolls aren't so important in the big scheme of things, and they aren't so high up my hobby list either. So I'm focusing on other things for now.

I don't feel any guilt or obligation about anything: this is a hobby and I don't have to answer to anyone about how I spend my time or money. But I do wish that I had some hobby or skill (such as sewing) that intersected more with my dolls, or a way to have them more in my everyday life. Well, out of sight, out of mind -- so I guess it's now time to get them out of their boxes and have them in my line of sight!

• ​How long do your "breaks" typically last?
      My breaks usually last a couple weeks to a couple months.
      • What's the longest "BJD Break" you've ever taken?
      Well, I got my first BJD about 8 months ago, so two months was the longest I've taken a break so far. I still go on DoA and search for doll stuff, but it's only 3-5 times per week, when normally I look several times a day, if not at least once.
      • What are the various reasons you take breaks from the hobby? (Is it just because your interests wane, or because of finances, living situations, etc?)
      It can be finances, especially if I only have one or two dolls completed. I love finishing dolls, so that can slow my interest down sometimes. Also if I don't have any inspiration I tend to step back and think about other things for awhile. I also collect other things like Pokemon merch, so sometimes that can take over, however BJDs are my main hobby. I'm in college as well, so when I'm moving in and out of my apartment I bring all of my dolls with me. They get put in their boxes, and I don't take them out since I'll just have to put them away in a couple days or weeks. My parents also have dogs, so when I visit them I don't want to have them sitting out if I accidentally leave my door open :o
      • When you get back in to BJDs after coming out of a "break," do you have any guilt for neglecting your dolls or the community?
      No, not at all. I feel almost a renewed sense of excitement for my own dolls and the dolls I'm dreaming about. I think breaks can be a good thing.
      • When you've taken a long break from BJDs, do you have to deal with any skepticism from your family or friends about how much you love BJDs? Do you find yourself having the same issues you had with them when first starting in the hobby?
      Nope. I live in my own apartment with my boyfriend, so my parents pretty much always think I'm 100% into dolls at all times XD My boyfriend doesn't think anything of it when I take short breaks, he gets it.

7. ^ And since then, it's been a few months (about three or so) since even going on DoA or doing anything doll-related at all. I even had the chance to buy the head I keep talking about, but didn't because I wanted to see what else I could use the money for. I still want the head, it's just that I'm putting it on the back burner for now.

8. I take breaks when real life interferes with my time or if I am not feeling inspired to play with my dolls for one reason or another. My reasons for taking breaks have usually involved the death of someone close to me or other serious matters like that, when I am just not in the mood to deal with hobbies. When this happens, I still love the dolls, but they just become a collection of interesting dolls for a while instead of an interactive hobby. My breaks last for a few weeks or even a couple of months, but even then, I usually check in with DOA and a few other forums if only to lurk and keep up with the news.

9. Every so often, I disappear for a few years. My boys decorate their plastic box and lie patiently until I have an urge to try something. Usually, this is career driven for me. I am not always into the hobby. Most times I could care less, but I enjoy them. I like looking at others, and I enjoy sharing with others thoughts that surround them. I've been in the hobby for a long while, but it was recently I became actively interested again.

I like the darlings I have. One was a gift from a dear friend of mine on here whom I can be away from for months and the next time we talk, it only feels like a few days. The doll she gave will always be a treasure to me because of what a wonderful and costly gift he was to begin with.

I would like to reimagine him as one of the more realistic models and so I am gradually examining that while enjoying him right now. I consider him a Velveteen rabbit of sorts, who remains special to me because of my friend's amazing generosity.

I apologize for not following the question formatting. I still have rebellious edges. In short, I wander in and out. I'm quite a bit different than the young woman who first stalked these pages, but things tend to change with age.

10. Do you ever find yourself taking "breaks" from the hobby? If so:

​How long do your "breaks" typically last?

For me, it varies. My 'breaks' from the hobby are long, all of my BJD are in a special wardrobe in my room with my porcelain dolls. They tend to stay there for weeks without being touched. Months will go by and I won't think to open it. Just so busy and my mind is always occupied.

Well... Once I got Caelius a body, eyes and his first face, not to mention the wig I butchered... I found at least half a year went by before I so much as thought to look at the dolls again.

What are the various reasons you take breaks from the hobby? (Is it just because your interests wane, or because of finances, living situations, etc?)

For me it's just a combination of finances (I can't afford to buy supplies or dolls every year) and time. Often I just get busy and mentally fatigued so I lay back and draw or write. Then I'll go back to my dolls, which are like art to me.

When you get back in to BJDs after coming out of a "break," do you have any guilt for neglecting your dolls or the community?

I do get a lot of guilt for a lot of things, what they call 'Catholic Guilt' around here. Yes, that does include returning to the community. Especially the community here on my home island, I've only actually met up with them once. I keep saying I'll be there again, but it always seems that I just forget. My dolls, however, I have much less guilt about. Caelius, for instance, waited for years just to get a body for his blank floating head, months more still for me to sew him clothes and give him the rest (eyes, wig, shoes). They can continue to wait. They, like my porcelain dolls, will still be on the shelf when I feel ready and happy to take care of them.

When you've taken a long break from BJDs, do you have to deal with any skepticism from your family or friends about how much you love BJDs? Do you find yourself having the same issues you had with them when first starting in the hobby?

My family and friends aren't very interested in BJD. So when I come back out with a doll, after not talking about them for months, it's like they forgot it was a hobby of mine. They know it's a hobby, and the fact that I take it so slow has disproven the fear of 'omg she's going to get into so much debt over dolls that she'll be broke and dependent forever'.

If you've never taken a break from BJDs, do you think you ever will? Why or why not?

If by break you mean sell all my dolls and the like, then start over... I don't think I will. The only time I parted with dolls was my porcelain dolls which had been given to me by an ex. I sold those at a yard sale and donated some too. Don't think I'll be selling any of my BJDs, though. At the very least no time soon. I like that I know I can return to the hobby any time just by opening the wardrobe, and let it sit for a while by closing it.

11. Do you ever find yourself taking "breaks" from the hobby? If so:
      I took one massive "break." Though I don't know that I would call it a break. I left and didn't think I would be back.

​How long do your "breaks" typically last?
      That "break" lasted about 6 years or so. I stepped down as a moderator here on DoA, sold many of my dolls (though not all of them) and left the hobby.

About 6 years.

Burnout from being a mod here. Plus that time was tough for me financially. I did't have the time or money to put into the hobby anymore.

No. Dolls are dolls. They aren't going anywhere. And while I did miss a lot of my old dolly friends, I don't regret leaving the hobby at that time at all. It was for the best.

Hmmmm, some of my family have made some comments like "why are you starting the doll thing again?" It's kind of annoying, but I try to ignore it.

12. I just got back into the hobby after a FIVE YEAR break! whew!
      I took a break because I got pregnant and did not want my dolls to be damaged by well meaning children, so I packaged everyone up and kept them safely stored. Now that my kids are older (and have shown themselves to respect boundaries in my office) I have started to check on my dolls, find my tools to maintain them and even started a new doll fund!

I didn't feel guilty about taking a break but I missed it SO much. I love this hobby so much that it was too hard to come here and look at pictures while not being able to work on my own dolls. So I just focused on other things. I'm so glad to be back and can't wait to save up to get my new addition! My son doesn't care one way or another, but my daughter is in awe of them and asks so politely to see them and doesn't touch them without asking first.

of course, I'm still keeping them in boxes for the time being...I know how tempting it would be for my kids to play with them and accidently breaking one. But I figure I can bring out one at a time to work on and make things for.

I'm glad you're all still here! <3

• Do you ever find yourself taking "breaks" from the hobby? If so:
        • ​How long do your "breaks" typically last? Several months usually, close to a year.
        • What's the longest "BJD Break" you've ever taken? A little over a year. Almost thought I was done with the hobby for good!
        • What are the various reasons you take breaks from the hobby? (Is it just because your interests wane, or because of finances, living situations, etc?) Stress. School. Having a heavy workload. When I had a boyfriend, I was too busy going and hanging out with him during my free time. I didn't have any time to even think about my doll. I'll still always have that interest in dolls though, because I just love 3D art, designer toys, etc. I like art that I can hold in my hands and view from different angles. I also love to collect art prints, but there's something special about a doll!
        • When you get back in to BJDs after coming out of a "break," do you have any guilt for neglecting your dolls or the community? Nah, I don't think my doll cares. I don't assign feelings to my doll, as harsh as that sounds. It's a piece of art to me, not a person. I guess I felt bad for ignoring my doll and not giving her a faceup for a good year after getting her because I was so busy. I also felt bad about it because my mom helped pay for her as a gift for me. She sat in her box the entire time until I finally had a break from school. So in that regard, I the main thing I feel bad for is not taking advantage of my doll's fresh, beautiful new resin. She's yellowed a little bit since then and I should've taken more photography of her while she was still new. And as far as the BJD community goes, no, not really, I'm not too terribly involved with it, so I don't think DoA really missed me! haha.
        • When you've taken a long break from BJDs, do you have to deal with any skepticism from your family or friends about how much you love BJDs? Do you find yourself having the same issues you had with them when first starting in the hobby? Not really. For all they know, I've still been interested in my doll the entire time I've had her.

13. I also jump from one hobby to the next and consider the ones I return to my actual hobbies.

• ​How long do your "breaks" typically last? It ranges, but it can vary from a couple weeks to years. I never abandon it completely. I check in from time to time to stay at least a little in the know. I also check sales threads as much as I can for grails.
        • What's the longest "BJD Break" you've ever taken? I would say a year and a half/almost two years ending soon because a new doll release has caught my attention.
        • What are the various reasons you take breaks from the hobby? (Is it just because your interests wane, or because of finances, living situations, etc?) It's a combination of factors at play: lack of funds, lack of time due to school and other interests, and waning interest in general. My biggest other "hobby" is lolita fashion, which can be expensive. Sometimes I ask myself, new doll or dress? Shoes for a doll or shoes for me? I'm also at an all-time low with my interest. I became disenchanted with my old collection and sold them all off, hoping to find dolls I would love. As most of my grails are limited releases, it's been hard finding them for sale. Most releases have been plain un-inspiring to me. I felt like a lot of the creativity that I used to love had been dying out. It's hard to get excited about coming back to a hobby when it feels stale. I haven't seen a release that makes me stop and just say "Wow" in a while.
        • When you get back in to BJDs after coming out of a "break," do you have any guilt for neglecting your dolls or the community? Yes. I feel bad because the community is one of the main reasons I was attracted to BJD collecting. Not contributing makes me feel like I'm failing to help keep it alive. I feel bad for the dolls that have sat untouched in dark boxes, waiting for the day I or someone else will breathe life back into them again.
        • When you've taken a long break from BJDs, do you have to deal with any skepticism from your family or friends about how much you love BJDs? Do you find yourself having the same issues you had with them when first starting in the hobby? I wouldn't say so just because my family isn't involved in my hobbies at all. Almost all of my friends aren't doll collectors so they don't notice either.

14. I take a lot of breaks from dolls, and all my various hobbies. Recently I just came back from a year long break or so, mostly brought on by finishing up my degree, then moving, then struggling to get life and finances back in line. I'm hoping to get a space to display the dollies soon so I can look at them all the time, but for now I do feel kind of guilty that they're all in a footlocker. I don't usually feel guilty about taking a break, though, because most of them are unavoidable due to life and I have enough experience to know I will come back around to them again.

As for family, most don't know or don't care other than my husband. He's always happy when I get back in to my hobbies, dolls or otherwise. I appreciate that he's so accepting and open about my hobbies. :aheartbea

15. I think I kind of got lost on my gaming hobby for the past year... Started playing Final Fantasy XIV and it's taken a lot of my time and focus. since then I've slowed down a bit and have been returning to my more artistic hobbies like art, dolls, and photography. It's kind of refreshing.

How long do your "breaks" typically last?
      It can Vary from a few months to a year at a time.

What are the various reasons you take breaks from the hobby?
      I think it's mostly because my interests wane, and my friend that introduced me to the hobby quit, so it's just been boring to have no one to doll talk with! Also, I blame gaming for taking all my time!

I think I have a bit of guilt for just not being more active in the first place, but it's a bit because the forum seemed intimidating at first, and also because I'm terribly shy and never initiate conversations.

I think the only skepticism I have to deal with is my own. I always mean to do stuff with my dolls, other than look at more dolls and neglect them, but it seems like I only take pics at the occasional meet. I really did get them with the intention of doing photostories, but apparently I'm a slacker... oh well.. life happens! Maybe one day I will get to it now that I'm feeling more happy about my collection as a whole.

16. Not voluntarily, but yeah. I have had to put the dolls away for a while because I was sick or because I had something going on in real life that was taking up all my time. Even when I am not actively working with them though I'll still pull one of two out and look at them. I have bad chronic thing going on with auto-immune disease. I get sick a lot and sometimes months will go by and I hardly touch my dolls except to cuddle with them sometimes. I'm just not up to making outfits and that. I've actually been a bad flare for a few months now and I have just not been up to doing faces and sewing and that. Most of my dolls are still blank faced at this point and naked and likely will be for a while yet. I've worked on a couple of them a little bit but most of them are still waiting for me to get them done. I do feel bad a bit yeah, but then again I'm well aware of my limitations and it's not a contest. I don't have a time table for getting it all done.

For me it's a gradual process thing. I do a little as best and as often I can. If I am not feeling up to it than I just don't. At this point they have eyes and wigs and I'm working on clothes. We have some girl shoes, mostly sneaks from key rings but they fit. We have boy pants and a batch of boy and girl shoes coming. We have a few clothing pieces that I've either had from other dolls, made when I was up to it, or gotten from people I've done deals with. A couple have face ups because I bought them with them, and I've done some work on two besides, but the rest do not. We still have a long way to go though before they will all be done. I don't have a choice but to be patient and work slowly though. I just can't do it any other way.

I have to conserve the bulk of my energy for work, for home and family responsibilities but my dolls are my mental therapy and I will not give them up. Ditto my pets. They're what keeps me going most of the time. I spend most of my time struggling to do things. I'm in a lot of pain. This chronic disease thing really sucks most of the time. I need the dolls to cope. The caretaker person she has her issues, but the dolls are very patient, unlike the humans I deal with every day. :P I'll get them all done, eventually...

17. Yep, went on hiatus for a year when I was hit by a dramatic life change. It's good to be back.