1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you feel comfortable dealing with DoA's younger members?

Apr 1, 2007

1. wow mrae im impressed please spam your dollies and link me ^^

2. I don't ask how old people are. Mom taught me that was rude. :)

However, if a buyer or seller is behaving in a way that makes me doubt their maturity -- note I said maturity, not age -- then I choose not to deal with them.

(Side Note: Signals of immaturity, to me, include not only bad feedback, but also manner of posting and attitude toward others. I have a number of people on the "do not deal with" list on my computer who are there not because they have a proven record as a scammer, but because they have said things on DoA that make me not trust them. Things like, "If someone sent me an extra item on accident, I would keep it!" or "I can't keep track of everything I'm buying, so my husband has threatened to refuse packages and cut up my credit cards." Both of these are real statements I have seen here. I also have a few people on the list who have behaved abusively towards others without cause.)

I confess, however, that I do not deal in high-price items in the marketplace on a regular basis. If I was selling and buying dolls on the secondhand market often, I would probably be much more concerned about the age issue -- not because I don't like young people, but because should anything go wrong and a transaction end up in a legal claims situation, I would be up a creek, as minors cannot enter into legally binding agreements in the US. Because of that, I certainly would not mind if someone wanted to double-check my own age.

3. *_* Lizard...you have Tsuzuki as your avatar... :D <3 !!!

I've dealt in ponies for years, though they don't tend to go as high as dolls! I judge people by their maturity, how polite they are to me as a seller. If somebody comes across as the type whom I think won't complete a transaction, or is incapable of being well mannered about it - although I do make allowances since ponies tend to hit a younger market - I don't fancy dealing with them.
      I'm very tollerant of people, so far I've not had to 'report' anybody I've dealt with for misconduct, though a few have made me verrrry near that point. If anything I've had more fluff and bother over transactions on eBay (evil!).

I'm 18, so I don't even know if I count as a younger member anymore myself!

4. My standpoint on dealing with people is that age doesn't matter. Quite honestly, some people who are younger than I am are more mature and better to deal with than people twice my age. If a 12-year-old were well-spoken enough (though not so much that I were to suspect that she were actually her mother), I'd happily deal with her. It might sound judgmental, but how I perceive someone's maturity means a lot more to me than what their age is on paper.

5. Personally I prefer to do transcations with adults. In my own experience as a seller I've had too many transactions stopped when someone suddenly tells me that thier mother thinks they shouldn't buy something, or they have to get thier parents to pay for something. Once that additional person gets into the mix I've had a few transaction fall apart. But this is just my own experience. All I ask for is quick professional, smooth transactions. If someone can do that then I have no problems, age or no, but yes, the no binding contract stipulation for minors is also a scary thing too...

denkiva

6. For one thing, I have NO idea how old anybody is on this forum. So when I to buy/sell to somebody, I assume that they are responsible/mature unless they have given me reason to doubt. And that's all there is to it :)

7. This is exactly what would concern me in a large transaction with a minor. It doesn't always have to do with maturity. It's been said a million times on DoA that MANY younger members here are extremely mature. It's also been said that some members in their 20s and beyond have the judgment of an 8 yr old. That said, the reality is that if one of the immature but 18+ individuals flakes out on a deal, the other party has legal recourse to protect themselves. That may not be the case if something goes wrong in an agreement with a 15yr old. We've all seen the posts where someone saves up all the money themselves and their parents still won't allow them to buy a BJD. If they do it in secret and the parents become angry, it's easy to see how a seller could get caught in the middle of the drama...:roll:

8. As long as we all love our dolls!! Age is irrelevant.

Hugs
      Mary-Lee

9. Age has no relevance at all to me..its definately maturity that speaks volumes..xx

10. I'm only twenty -- so not old -- but I wouldn't like dealing with someone much younger than me. From my experience, they're too prone to last minute back-outs (cold feet or mom wouldn't let them use the credit card after all), and just general flakiness.

On the other side (and I know the thread wasn't asking this; sorry) I VERY MUCH appreciate being able to deal with people older than me. xD I'm very new to BJDs (although I've been admiring them for years), and I love having the help and experience here, for just about everything I'd want to do with a doll, it seems.

I can't wait to be able to hit the Marketplace -- I prefer having personal sales over company sales. The big companies can't answer my questions as quickly and as thoroughly as I'd like sometimes, and it makes me nervous.

EDIT: Should have clarified originally -- that's just what I've seen in other business transactions. I'm not trying to make a blanket statement, I understand that there are good and bad business people on both sides of the coin!

11. You are a wise 20 yr old!

Hugs
      Mary-Lee :-)

12. Last time I checked (before Iordered my ipsae who's currently on her way from customs. WOO!) I had $444.44 worth of stuff I sold to DOA member in (mystepdad'scough) paypal. So, uh....I dunno. Most people dont' assume I'm 14.

to be honest, I don't know how old most people assume I am. But I am quite the grammar nazi, so that probably helps. Eh. xD

13. I have to agree with Lizzard- I wouldn't get into a contract of selling or buying something with a minor over the legal issues we have here in the US. I'm 19, but I hope no one takes my ago into account though, since I'm pretty mature for my age, and especially when i'm doing business with someone. :)

14. I'm quite new here on the board since I've only been here over a year but for discussions and such I have no problem with dealing with younger member provided they handle themselves in a mature way.

I don't do much transactions but I would have a problem selling or getting into a contract with a minor. I would have to ask a parent or adult to back the deal since technically minors can't make legal contracts. Since this is an anonymous board there's really no way of checking one's age except if they add it voluntarily in their profile, don't have a paypal account of their own, or indicate it by behavior

15. I'm not sure age matters, irresponsiblity would be the problem and that occurs at any age. I like that there's feedback here, that's the best indication.

16. Age has no factor as long as they are honest, nice and know they products.

17. I remember being young and bugging my mom for her card to buy my first imported (web-only at the time) items, they weren't dolls but they were toys so when it comes to dealing online I try to be patient and kind.

:) Though I ALWAYS look at feedback.

18. I think that the BJD hobby and Den of Angels are both unique in that we have such a wide assortment of people who are involved in the community. I love that there are people with much more experience than me on the site, and I love that I can in turn help others who are newer than I am. It makes for a very rich experience, and I don't think I'd be half as interested in collecting dolls if the hobby didn't come with such a versatile community attached to it.

19. Wow, this thread got zombied.

I think, as long as a person has good feedback, I don't care about their age at all. I'm only 19, myself. And when I was 15, I was just as reliable as I am now.

20. I agree completely. I also avoid buying and selling on DoA because of the drama I've seen happen on the site. It's almost always around a transaction.

I do love window shopping though!