1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you feel like your dolls have to have a friend or significant other?

Jan 7, 2006

1. This is an interesting thread, & I especially like that everyone's answers are well-thought-out & personal, but also non-judgemental. :daisy

Hmmm, personally--& I'm still working this out in my head--I think that my dolls are all externalised aspects of me in some way, & they are all meaningful to me in a fierce sense...I don't generally buy a doll unless it grips me hard in the chest. So far the pairings at my house have just sort of "happened" v/s being really planned--until very recently, I've never bought a doll expressly as an SO for one I already own--but their relationships (not just SO) are all very compelling to me. And I will definitely admit to feeling easier once Lucy was not the "Lone Doll" in the house.

I have to bond with each doll separately, I've found--but sometimes I bond with them as pairs, too. Thus, I think that if I felt that our bond wasn't strong enough, that it would be natural--not a betrayal--to send a doll on separately to a new owner (& especially so since I've bought previously-owned dolls)--except for Aubrey & August. I could never separate them. Even if I had to just keep their heads & wait until I could buy them new bodies. I adore them both, but in my mind they are a set.

But not all pairs are unbreakable--some are more "fluid," & some would not be hurt by "reincarnating" one or both of the pair into different dolls at a later date. I think it would have to be a case-by-case thing.

Sorry for running on here. :roll I don't think I made much sense!

2. I've always had an obssession over pairing people up in my stories, even if the story was just supposed to revolve around one person, they always had someone who was there for them for support and what not because that's the way I think it should be for everyone in one way or another.

At first it was just supposed to be Ryuen, but then I wound up getting Alex and Alex needed his twin sister and Ryuen needed a significant (b)other and it kind of snowballed. After I buy Yukiro I think I can quite contentedly say I'm done (for a while anyway--I want to get SD-sized forms for Ryu & Yuki eventually), but in the end they are in pairs--Ryu & Yuki and Alex & Mia even if the latter is just a familial connection but they're twins so they're generally going to be close ^^;

3. I am a bit of a romantic, so I do like to have my dolls be paired up, but it really depends on their character whether or not that actually happens. One relationship I never intended to happen ended up being the deepest relationship that any of my dolls share. Two of my dolls, though I try to get them to like each other, like being by themselves. What can you do?
      So I guess what I'm trying to say is that some of my dolls need companions, some not, but I wish all of them would pair up ^^;;

4. Well...
      I think my SD13 boy Oliver really needs a companion.
      He always has such a melancholic expression!
      I had bought Marian (Jun T.) for him, but he seems not to be interested in her at all (he preferred my El, but he is already engaged, moreover, he's very faithful! ^_^), and Marian seems not to be interested in boys at all...
      I tried to keep Oliver and Mickey (SD Ken) close to each other for a while and see what would happen, but Mickey looked so standoffish... He often looks like that, you know. While Oliver felt happier close to him, Mickey looked vaguely pissed off, so I decided to separate them, and now Oliver looks even more melancholic than usual.
      I think Oliver would be happy with a boyfriend with a stronger personality and a cheeky look.
      A Souldoll Paris or an F17 (a tanned one, maybe?) would be a nice choice, but I'm still not sure about that.
      Moreover, at the moment I don't have enough money for another doll, I think...

5. I can definitely enjoy sordid, sappy love stories, anime pairings and yaoi, but it's just never been in my boys to be involved in anything mushy.

6. It's important to me that my dolls have companionship (this often takes the form of significant others)--My dolls aren't just dolls though, so to me, it's a valid point that they might get bored or lonely. And I could never seperate a pair, it would hurt them too much. About the size thing--For me, it doesn't reallly matter what size they are. They all get along fine no matter.

7. I agree with Taco. My dolls aren't just dolls-- they're alive and well to me. I made loose, vague plans to get Luciel a friend since I got him, and two years later I finally got around to it. I felt so bad for him. I never really took him anywhere with me, and all the companionship he ever got was from stuffed animals. .__. He and Julian have really bonded; all they have is each other when I'm not home.

I could never ever split them up. It makes me sad just thinking about it.

8. Kaito gets a lot of love from me, but since i started working, i feel that i'm not giving him as much attention as i'd love to...

So that's why i brought home a F-28 boy, intending to make the two of them to be each other's immortal companion ;) The head just arrived two days ago and i hate to admit this but he just didn't give me the 'love at the first sight' feeling. Maybe it's harder to bond with just a head rather than the whole doll, or maybe i just wasn't that ready for a second boy :(

But i really feel that Kaito needs to have a dollfie friend! I don't want him to wither from melancholy & loneliness! So i'm trying to find my F-28 boy a body as soon as possible, although it's really taking a toll on my savings...

9. Mmm... it may depend on the doll's personality, for example, Rhaegar met a friend´s dollfie, and she's a wolf-girl. He was obsessed with his "wolf maiden" due to his personal history, so it just seemed to fit. Vercanith won't think about it at first, but I'm sure he'll eventually settle down... Maybe I consider them too much my children and just want them to be happy...

10. It's not that they NEED it, I just think it's more visually apealing (for me) to see dolls pose as a couple, it opens up a range of poses that you can't have with just one doll. Besides, I feel kind of bad when I can't give my boy any attention so I'm planning to get him a friend so that he doesn't look sad or bored (I know he isn't, he just looks that way :lol: ). The next bjd will be a girl, just because I want a doll that wears girly things and I'm not to keen on having a girly boy, although I loveeeee to see other people's girly boys.

So... if you need the money and the doll isn't special for you, what's the problem with selling it? Maybe someday you'll buy another one for the same reasons you bought that one and you'll love it even more. And if you're worried that your other doll will be "sad" well... real people's relationships end too ;)

11. I don't really think it's necessary for mine to have friends/significant others, but I can see where you'd have a dilema there. I think if two of mine were 'dating', I probably would'nt be able to separate them. I see mine as each having different personalities, and some of them are 'friends', but maybe I'm just crazy XD

12. I am a newbie here but I think at the moment my girl is wanting to be an only "child" so that she gets all the attention that I can give her. Maybe when she settles in properly she will want a brother or sister, but not at this present time. I am sure she will tell me when she is ready. If you feel no attachment to your doll then you are maybe doing the right thing to sell, so that it can get the love it deserves from someone else? Hard question to answer as it seems everyone treats their dolls differently.

13. I always like to have 2 of a size or type so there can be some interaction between them. But if you're having financial difficulties & aren't terribly attached to the doll, there's nothing wrong with selling it. You can always get your remaining doll another friend somewhere down the road.

14. I think it depends a lot on the personalities - some of mine crave companions, friends and family and lovers, while others prefer to be completely solitary and not interact with anyone at all.

15. I want my girl to have a companion like her, the same type and size, I don't want her to be an odd doll, she's so much taller than the others.

16. I don't worry about that sort of thing... I know it's unromantic, but if I need the money or am simply "ready" to sell that particular doll... it goes ^_^

My other dolls have never complained, I suppose they are very adaptable ^_~

Raven

17. I don't have my girl yet, so maybe I'm not qualified to answer, but for the most part, I feel that my dolls would be too young and childlike to worry about romance. I'd like for them to have lots of friends, but I don't want to pressure them to fall in love.

I think the one exception is if I ever owned a Kurumi. I think it would be really sweet if she had a crush on Tony. :aheartbea

18. YESH.
      Hahahhaha.
      I actually got Eun and Sundae for each other, but found out that Sundae wasn't gay...
      So I bought Yuki so Eun could have a friend, and now I'm waiting on Sundae's best friend, Jetta.
      All my babes get along great, so I guess everything worked out. ^w^

19. I like to have friends and loved ones, I imagine my dolls like it too :) The best dollie relationships are the ones that aren't really planned but just seem to happen after the doll arrives.

I guess this is the way I play with dolls, rather than dressing them up in fashions and taking clothes, or making up elaborate stories and characters...I just think of them as people and that they want friends and so forth the same as people do

20. I like pairs, but they don't have to be bf/gf... friends or siblings are fine. But I don't NEED pairs; it's just nice to have them.

So... if push came to shove (as in financial difficulties), I wouldn't let it stand in my way too much! (Although selling dolls would be a last-resort. I've got other stuff I'd sell first!)