1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you feel that you should pretend to love dolls that you don’t?

Sep 30, 2009

1. -On the DOA boards where discussion and debates are the norm, do you feel that it is acceptable and safe to express dislike for a doll or doll company?
      If there's a discussion about a doll's posability & engineering or a doll company's customer service, then absolutely I feel I can express my opinion if I've dealt with the doll/ company before. I have no problem with that as my opinions may be helpful to someone with no experience with those dolls/ companies. But based purely on aesthetics if a doll is not to my taste I just won't comment. My opinion there won't help anyone and may hurt someone's feelings.

-Do you find that DOA members are overly sensitive to someone not liking their doll? Or do you totally understand the offended party and think people should only say good things on DOA about all dolls.

Some are, some aren't. We all love our dolls and think they are wonderful, but not everyone has the same taste or wants the same things (posability, ease of modding, specific shape) and that's perfectly OK. If an honest opinion is asked for or honest critique I feel it's ok to give it as long as it's not in a rude way. For example: someone asks about a certain doll's posability. I have or have had that doll and found it difficult to pose due to the way it's sculpted so I'd share my experience, with specifics about WHY I feel that way. I would not just say things like 'such and such dolls are really crappy and poorly made' etc.
      -Are you willing to admit that you don’t like a doll on the DOA board? I don’t mean in a thread where someone is showing off their particular doll. More like in a thread where people are discussing companies or aesthetics. It would be awkward to drop into someone’s thread just to tell them their doll was not to your liking wow.
      I am willing to say I don't find a certain sculpt appealing, if that's what's asked. I would not use any member's own doll as an example of a doll I disliked.

-Would you mind if someone said they were not into a doll you happened to own? (please, I am not looking for examples of one weirdo telling you to your face that your doll was horrible, anyone would hate that!)
      If someone happened to pop into a gallery thread of pics of my dolls, yes I would be a little peeved if they commented that they didn't like them. Why comment at all then? If I'm looking for feedback and asking for opinions or critique then no, I wouldn't mind at all.

-Do you find that you can’t help but feel offended/attacked/defensive when someone does not approve of a doll you happen to own? If so why?

No, not really.
      -Have you ever thought that you over reacted in the forum to someone expressing dislike of a doll you happen to own? If so what was it that made you so mad?
      nope.

-If you are someone who does get defensive do you feel totally justified when you are mad? If so why?

see above
      -If someone dislikes a doll you happen to own do you try to convince that person that the doll is beautiful! If so why?
      I don't think I would. I may say something like, 'awwww, you don't think she's cute?' but I wouldn't be upset or try to convince them to love my dolls.

2. I won't put much comment on the dolls that I am not particularly fond to... I think respect is really important in this hobby >_> In the heart you can say you dislike the style but I don't think it is nice to say it out loud.

3. Yes, but I think it depends how you phrase it. I've said "I don't really care for X sculpt" or "Y company is not my style" plenty of times, and no one has taken it amiss. I wouldn't expect a good reaction, though, if I said something like "Z doll is stupid and ugly and I don't understand how anyone likes it," because that's just rude.

I don't think there's anything wrong with stating your own preferences, as long as you don't run down other people's preferences in the process.

Maybe from time to time, but dolls are pretty personal to people so it's only natural comments would be taken in a way they aren't intended occasionally.

When the discussion is general, I'm perfectly fine with saying that a company or sculpt is not to my taste. I probably would not post in a thread dedicated to that company or sculpt because in most cases I'd have nothing constructive to add to the discussion.

When someone is showing off their particular doll, though, I do feel a bit differently. I don't feel the need to fawn excessively over a doll I don't care for, but I would still try to make a nice comment of some kind if I'm going to respond. Usually I can think of something positive to say - the outfit, the face up, the photography, etc. - even if the sculpt doesn't appeal to me.

No, I don't care - we all have different tastes - as long as the person respected my right to my preferences and wasn't mean about it.

Not if the person says they don't care for it or offers constructive criticism (i.e. they don't like the construction or don't think it poses well, etc.) That's not personal, and there's no need to make it personal.

If the person is rude about it, I get annoyed by the rudeness. If the person implies that I must not really like my doll either and must have settled, that's irritating too, because it's presumptuous.

Just not liking my doll, though? Whatever. We all have different preferences.

I don't recall having done so, no.

No, that would be pointless. If it's not their taste, it's not their taste. We don't all have to like the same things. I might say what I liked about it just for the sake of discussion, but I wouldn't expect or intend to change the other person's mind.

4. There's dolls that I'm not keen on but I wouldn't tell someone that unless my opinion had been asked. It'll be more down the lines of I dislike the sculpt rather than saying I hate the whole doll. There's certain dolls I'm not keen on due to not being in to the horror look but I can understand why someone would love them. It's just a preference. I wouldn't mind if someone wasn't keen on mine as long as they're not offensive and tell me I'm stupid or something.:XD:

5. I wouldn't say anything unless someone asks me directly. However, I don't think that there are any dolls that I really, straight-out dislike. I've seen sculpts that I used to think I didn't care for until I saw someone style it really beautifully, and completely changed my opinion. I think all dolls have some form of potential, which is why I try not to state outright that I don't like a specific sculpt.

6. For sure, no one can love all BJD sculpts or companies. What I disapprove is people who insult a doll or an owner just because they don't like the BJD. There are ways to stay polite about our opinions and some people seem to forget it especially on BJD confessions. There is a difference between "I don't like -name of the doll- because -reason-" and "Your doll is freaking ugly and I hate it". There are owners that can overreact too, so it's always better to stay polite and "mild".
      This hobby is a matter of taste. Respect others' choices and opinions like you would like them to respect yours... simple as that!

7. Iunno. I'm one of those weirdos that tends to look at everyones' dolls and freak out over how amazing they are, because they are amazing. Maybe a sculpt isn't for me. Maybe a certain size isn't really my preference. But that doesn't make them any less gorgeous. There is an incredible amount of time, work and attention to detail that goes into this hobby, from the original sculptor down through the lines to the end game owner. One of the beautiful things about this hobby, is being able to appreciate the hard work everyone has put into their dolls. So if you say stuff like "Blah blah what a horrible doll", then yeah - that's something that's going to upset someone. I don't care where I am, on DoA or elsewhere, I would never talk down to someone about their choice of doll. It's tasteless and self-important. Like - who are you, the world's ultimate authority on what sculpts should be liked or not? Step off, sweetcheeks.

You know???? lol xD

8. Whether I would be offended by someone saying they don’t like a doll really depends on how the person expresses themselves. There’s a big difference between saying something like “I don’t really care for that doll, the eyes looks funny to me” and saying, “That doll is disgusting, anyone who likes it is a moron”.

For myself, I think I would be comfortable saying I didn’t like a sculpt in a general discussion, but I’m not going to be a jerk about it, not just to save feelings but because it’s generally the civilized way to act.

9. No, I don't feel like I need to say I love everyone's doll because I don't. It's enough that they love their doll. Why should they even care if I like it or not? However, I will never say negative things about their doll because that's just rude. I only say nice things, or nothing at all.

10. No, I don't. I will not straight-up insult a person's doll, though.

11. I think everyone should be polite to each other. If you're going to blatantly diss someone's doll, you'll just look like a jerk. I don't think someone needs to go out of their way to pretend they like a doll, though. If I don't like the doll, I might comment on their outfit/hair/or some other aspect I like about it. If there's a general discussion on different kinds of dolls I wouldn't mind expressing my honest opinion. And I don't think I'd be offended if someone told me they didn't like my doll, as long as they were polite and genuine about it.

12. On the DOA boards where discussion and debates are the norm, do you feel that it is acceptable and safe to express dislike for a doll or doll company?

Yes, but there is difference between freedom of speech and opinion and boorish criticism, unfortunately, there are people who do not feel this difference.

Do you find that DOA members are overly sensitive to someone not liking their doll? Or do you totally understand the offended party and think people should only say good things on DOA about all dolls.

I am new member of the forum, I had little time to study this aspect. I don't think that saying only compliments is constructive, I also don't appreciate flattery and bad taste cultivation. According to my observations, sometimes users pretend and praise ugly doll to support it's owner.

-Are you willing to admit that you don’t like a doll on the DOA board? I don’t mean in a thread where someone is showing off their particular doll. More like in a thread where people are discussing companies or aesthetics. It would be awkward to drop into someone’s thread just to tell them their doll was not to your liking wow.

Yes, but it's not my urgent need. There are some nerds, who try to impose their taste to everyone and sometimes taste of that criticist is very bad. I think this is the result of a neurosis :)

-Would you mind if someone said they were not into a doll you happened to own? (please, I am not looking for examples of one weirdo telling you to your face that your doll was horrible, anyone would hate that!)

Nobody likes criticism in the depths of the soul, I am not the exception. Equally foolish to hope to please everyone (as estimated) and to demand that the whole world should conform to your views. And the answer is: choosing between sincere criticism and feigned praise I prefer the first.

-Do you find that you can’t help but feel offended/attacked/defensive when someone does not approve of a doll you happen to own? If so why?

Depends on the nature of criticism and context. I don't pay much attention to random opinions and conversations on the Internet.

-Have you ever thought that you over reacted in the forum to someone expressing dislike of a doll you happen to own? If so what was it that made you so mad?

I do not remember such a case.

-If someone dislikes a doll you happen to own do you try to convince that person that the doll is beautiful! If so why?

If someone does not like my work, and he or she argues his (her) position, expect that I will put forward a counter-argument. I think this is enough.

13. No, I don't feel I should pretend to love dolls that I don't. But I can almost always appreciate something about another person's doll, even if it is not a particular sculpt that I would buy for myself.

I wouldn't mind if someone said they weren't into a doll I happen to own. They love what they love, and I love what I love. That's why these are my dolls, and not theirs. As long as they are not disrespectful or hurtful, that's fine with me.

They should have at least said "thank you" for posting her picture!

Linda S.
      galatia9

14. -On the DOA boards where discussion and debates are the norm, do you feel that it is acceptable and safe to express dislike for a doll or doll company?
      In general yes when done respectfully and it's relevant to the thread.

-Do you find that DOA members are overly sensitive to someone not liking their doll? Or do you totally understand the offended party and think people should only say good things on DOA about all dolls.
      Overly sensitive…I don't know. I've certainly read negative and non constructive commentary that would easily put someone on the defense. Most of us have some kind of emotional investment in our dolls as outlets for our creativity or pure aesthetic enjoyment. So I can see how misdirected and unsolicited commentary can be off putting.

-Are you willing to admit that you don’t like a doll on the DOA board? I don’t mean in a thread where someone is showing off their particular doll. More like in a thread where people are discussing companies or aesthetics.
      I've certainly said that a doll isn't for me…in cases where it's a new doll from a company that I follow and collect. It's usually more around me being thankful that I can save my money vs. critiquing an artist work. I can't do what doll artisans do - so for me to be critical and negative about it; I don't feel like I've earned the right especially if my opinion isn't adding value to the discussion.

In general no because I collect dolls that are personal to me. If I was a doll artist with the objective of selling as many dolls as possible; it might matter because I'm trying to make a product to sell.

Totally depends how the disapproval is expressed. Did I ask for it, is the comment in a general thread or a doll specific thread…

Nope.

Nope.

15. -On the DOA boards where discussion and debates are the norm, do you feel that it is acceptable and safe to express dislike for a doll or doll company?

Yes, if they do so nicely? lol

I've never experienced anything like this, but I don't think it should be all butterflies and rainbows. Because if everyone expressed their love and devotion to every sculpt, there wouldn't be much to talk about, would there?

Yes. I feel that I have the right to say that I "dislike" a company. Just like I have a right to say I "love" a company.

Not really. There are thousands of sculpts out there. I'm pretty sure I'd dislike one of the ones he/she likes. Personally, it isn't worth whining about. If you love your dolls, like you should, you shouldn't get offended.

No.

Not yet, hope I never get to that point tbh.

-If you are someone who does get defensive do you feel totally justified when you are mad? If so why?

Everyone has the right to stand up and defend themselves if they are truly being attacked, but if not, what's the point?

I don't think I would do this. Obviously the doll isn't beautiful to the person expressing their dislike.

16. -On the DOA boards where discussion and debates are the norm, do you feel that it is acceptable and safe to express dislike for a doll or doll company?

In general discussion I don't think it's a problem if someone says "I really prefer X's posing over Y's" or something. However, I wouldn't go into the Lati Yellow thread and just post "LATIS STINK". Don't rain on peoples' parades.

Some people do seem anxious to have their doll be "famous" or universally liked. I don't think this is a realistic goal, so I don't think anyone should feel bad if not everyone is as wowed as one would hope.

Sure, I wouldn't mind saying that I love Minifee hands and I think Mystic Kids' hands are awful, or that DC Hillary's face freaks me out. It's just my own opinion. I recognize that my hangups aren't anyone else's and everyone can feel however they do.

Nah. I mean, I don't know when the situation would arise that someone would tell me directly, "I don't like your doll", but if it happened, I guess that's fine? I like them and that's what matters. If someone were to say that So-and-So's (Sculpt/Faceup/etc) is better than mine, I might be a little salty, but that's just my pride! I wouldn't say anything about it, because I would know it's probably true. As long as I like my dolls, it doesn't matter to me what anyone else thinks at the end of the day.

If someone enjoys spending their time looking at things they don't like, that's their problem. I'm an adult and don't need anyone to "approve" of my toy choices.

No. I don't think I would even comment.

I can be defensive, but usually I realize that I'm being overly sensitive. I usually know well enough to let it go.

No, it doesn't matter to me what a stranger thinks of my dolls.

17. I doubt anybody will read this. Topics like these seem to be a place to vent mostly >.<, so thats what I will do. I feel that when you fall in love with a mold and pay the seriously high price of becoming the owner of one of these small treasures it hurts to see people saying negative things about it. So I mostly just don't comment on things if I don't like them.

18. Well I would not gush and pretend to adore a doll I did not care for. I am too polite to say something negative about someone's doll , because I am sure that they love their dolls as much as I love mine, and that in their eyes they are beautiful... I would not want to hurt anyone's feelings.

19. Interesting. I wouldn't mind people's honest opinion. As long as it's neutral and someone doesn't dislike the doll because they happen not to like me. Tastes are different. Nothing personal per se.

20. -On the DOA boards where discussion and debates are the norm, do you feel that it is acceptable and safe to express dislike for a doll or doll company?

It depends on the way that you express the dislike. If you are polite about it - yes it should be acceptable. However, why would I spend my time discussing something that I don't like?

Pretending and "only saying good things" one would appear false, not genuine. So of course everyone is entitled to have an opinion whatever that opinion may be. Those that take offense from polite but negative comments are a mystery to me. Why would you care if someone who you never met, will never meet said something negative about your doll/mold/etc? Do you think it is beautiful? That should be enough for an adult. In the end there is no accounting for tastes.

Yes, of course! But like you mention, I would never leave a negative comment in someone's thread where they are showing off their doll. That would be very arrogant. And also waste of time.

Not at all. Everyone has their own taste and if someone is not into my doll - so what? Who cares?

Nope. I wouldn't care. These dolls are so personal. And if I like mine - that is all that matters. If someone doesn't... well, they don't own that doll. End of the story.

Not likely to happen any time soon, unless I wake up one day to be a 5yearold again.:)

Same thing. Why would you care what someone thinks unless this is someone very close to you.

I think it is rather pointless. We have our own aesthetics and it is not a debate. Like physical attraction it is very personal and has nothing to do with logic. So you can't actually argue someone into liking what you like. Why try?:)