1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you find larger dolls overwhelming?

Mar 23, 2017

1. I used to. I was at a point a few years ago where I either sold off or tried to sell off all my 70-ish cm dolls. Then I got one I really liked....and another one I really liked...and now my 70+ guys are my favorites. My 60cm range seems really small by comparison lol

2. Yes, I find them overwhelming. I won a 78 cm doll at a BJD convention and he just doesn't fit in with all my other dolls, the largest being 58 cm and she's even larger than I like. I've grown to like the smaller ones because they're easier to display and take up less space so i can have more of them. One of these days I'm going to sell that big boy, but he is kinda cool, too.

3. I prefer 1:3 scale than smaller one. All my dolls are 1:3 scale and I have no plan to get a 1:4 scale.
      My first doll is a 65 cm tall boy and I got used to his weight already. Dealing with dolls smaller than him is just a piece of cake to me:) (but dolls like 70 cm or even 80 cm would be too space consuming for me.)
      The main reason why I like 1:3 scale more is that their proportions look more natural compared to MSD size or YOSD size. Plus I seldom take them outside so their bulkiness is not really a problem. But I have to admit 1:3 scale doll is not my best journey companion, esp. I can't drive. I brought my SDGr boy (around 62 cm tall) to Taiwan 2 weeks ago and he just occupied my whole backpack. Outdoor photo shooting is another problem...you can just pull out your smaller doll from your tote bag, put them down, take a snapshot, put him back to the bag and everything's DONE before some curious cats start gathering round you and taking pictures of your doll!
      Every time I travel aboard I wish I have a smaller doll:XD: but overall I love larger doll more!

4. I used to find bigger dolls overwhelming as my first two dolls were MSD sized and then my next was an SD. But now that I have a range of different sizes, I find that I like my larger dolls as they are much more easier to make clothes for!

5. I'm quite the opposite actually. After I ordered my first SD, I'd assumed the head was going to be bigger than what I received. After coming off collecting Pullip and Taeyang dolls and them having interchangeable wigs with SDs, imagine my surprise when my Pullip's head could almost swallow up an SD's!:XD:

Personally, outside of Pullip brand dolls, (and maybe some of those 1/6 figures) I'm not a huge fan of smaller scaled dolls. Actually, unlike the OP of this thread, it's not the SD scaled dolls that intimidate me...it's the little ones. A lot of the ones out there on the market look like little kids or babies for one, and I'm not really a fan of that aesthetic (considering I hated baby dolls as a kid, it's probably the reason behind that). Plus...they can grow in numbers, like hordes. Multiplying like gremlins!!:XD: They increase in numbers until they fill every nook and cranny and take over everything! With the SDs, I know their numbers aren't going to grow exponentially, and fill every gap!:mwahaha

But seriously, I like the bigger dolls regardless of their hulking stature. MSDs and smaller really don't suit me ( have only one MSD, and she's the one I had the hardest time bonding with and have almost chose to sell on a few occasions before I took my hiatus several years back), and a lot of the smaller (especially YO-SD) are kind of actually off-putting to me. To each their own I guess :kitty2

On a different note: many of my bjds are composites for characters I'm designing for a graphic novel concept I've been developing. Besides the fact that my characters are in their late teens to mid twenties, I needed larger scale models to use for different poses. smaller scale, although easier to pose per se, is also smaller and harder to see detail on. SD just ended up being the most appropriate scale for me :kitty1

6. I love the big ones. My largest is HID Falcon by Iplehouse. They are hard to carry around but I love the feel of them. I love to hold them or just have them sitting by me. I don't care for MSD's much at all. I have sold almost every one that has come into my possession.
      Tho I do have a liking to the new Ipelhouse FID's. I think it has a lot to do with their mature look.

7. I did until I got one.

Then I found that MSD dolls were utterly underwhelming.

Their tiny beady little eyes and their thin translucent resin.

Now I feel a little bad for my smaller dolls, they're just not as big and sparkling and splendid.

I love wide eyes and big luxurious wigs and clothes that have good stitching and workable clasps. I love the heavy unposable resin. There's also something about the slightly larger dolls that triggers a bit of a "baby" instinct and makes me more protective of them. The fact that I can't just pick them up with one hand makes me hold them closer.

The only thing I consider smaller dolls for now is their portability and discreteness.

8. I thought I would be intimidated by them, and I started with a mature 1/6 doll thinking anything bigger would be "too much". Then I got my first SD and I love her, I love the size, it's easier to make clothes and props for... And I didn't expect I would fall in love with SD size so much at all!

9. The larger the more satisfying. :) But I like teeny tiny ones. It's the middle range, like MSDs, I find less interesting.

10. I received my first SD sized doll yesterday it is a DC Ingemar and I love the size. I actually found that I would prefer them to the 1/4 scale size.

11. I like all sizes of BJD overall, though, but I prefer SD and Yo-sized tinies. I have had many sizes over the years and I think they all have merits. That said, I have a Dollmore Lusion 80cm and she's a bit on the overwhelming side only from the standpoint of being absolutely freaking heavy.

12. I only collect the 70cm+ boys. Yeah they are big & heavy but it's easier to dress them in my opinion. I'm. It much for sewing small scale but at least their clothing isn't Ken sized to drive me insane lol.
      I'm not a fan of smaller dolls though I have a few 17" Tonner boys packed away. I have to say it was my Dollshe David that made me go for the big boys. I see people's little babies & they are sooooo cute but not for me as I feel like I'd lose them somehow.

13. It seems like a lot of people found them overwhelming until they got one and then they started to love them. This gives me a lot of hope that I may eventually be able to enjoy one myself. There are tons of SD sculpts I really like but right now they just seem like too much doll *_* The "this doll could squish me" fear is irrational but present :sweat

14. I started with 43cm doll from Doll Chateau. I adore the aesthetics of 1/4 and 1/3 dolls. There are so many and a lot of them are beautiful especially the outfits but when I got my doll I was completely overwhelmed to the point where I barely interacted with her since I found her difficult to store and pose. Luckily she came with a 1/6 event doll and I loved her size and played with her a lot more.

So I ended up keeping to 1/12 to 1/6 dolls instead. However the difficulty is most dolls in this range are younger children and not many have a more mature body. Though with enough research I found a couple that I absolutely adore :>

15. Yes! Not just intimidated, but space wise--there's no way!

16. The larger the better! I have three tinies, and I honestly love them dearly...but each time I scale up, the more amazing the possibilities become. I'm currently waiting on my first 75cm guy (71 is the largest I've owned up until now), and shopping for him has been a blast! The clothing is intricate and more realistic than it is for the little ones, and the props...wow! A scale leather chair, mahogany table, working oil lamp and hookah, human skull (never mind, lol), battered scrolls and books...just so much fun! And he will have an awesome alchemist's tattoo on his heavy upper arm to fit his character...not really possible on teeny guys - and why would you want to, anyway? I love tiny frills and bows - but for the sheer pleasure of visible and intricate creativity, give me a big, beautiful hunk of resin any day. :)

So, um - no? I don't find large dolls overwhelming...I find them extremely entertaining bits of art...

17. I prefer SD size because I feel like I get the most for my money, they're easier to sew for or do faceups, there are more clothing, shoe and wig options and I like the weight of a large doll. I have no problem handling them or posing them. Yet I feel anything over 65cm is too big for me. Partly because it limits my options again, partly because of space issues but mostly because they're too big to fit in with the rest of my crew.

This could be due to my time in the hobby. As a newbie, I thought MSD was the perfect size and SD was too big. This was mostly because I had been a Barbie collector and MSD is significantly bigger than Barbie but still small enough for me to adjust easily. I was in the hobby for about three years before I decided I liked SD better, though I do still have three minis.

18. I can find them a little overwhelming but I absolutely LOVE the big dolls. Heck, I own two Dollmore Trinities and two Lusions, who stand at 105cm and 80cm. And I really wanna get a third Trinity someday, whether I actually have room for one or not.

I have a gaggle of tinies and MSD sizes as well, but I think 60cm and up will always be my favorites. Just love the solid weight of them, even if they are harder to tote around. :)

19. I can really appreciate looking at larger dolls, especially when they're all displayed and hanging out in one of the BJD stores I've visited - I think it's easier to put more fine detail when you have a larger 'canvas' to work on. But... they're not really for me. The largest one I have is MSD sized, and I've bought and resold so many other MSD sized dolls just because their size makes them difficult to take with me when I travel/move house etc.

I've consistently had tinies since I started the hobby, and now I have a resident MDD - but I think I'll stop there in terms of sizes :)

20. Nope, I love them! They're more huggable than the little guys. But I also don't really consider an SD big (for me big is like 70+cm), and I find smaller dolls to be too small for me. They're cute in other people's hands, but whenever I try with one I end up selling it.