1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you find larger dolls overwhelming?

Mar 23, 2017

1. I love looking at the larger dolls. But personally MSD is about as large as my old hands can physically deal with.

2. I don't know. I'd like to buy a dirt-cheap SD body to see if I can grow accustomed to the size, but there aren't any.

3. @Selenae Mirodoll has some pretty dirt-cheap SD bodies, or so I've heard.

4. A little bit yes, especially when looking for my first bjd. Though now I like the bigger sized dolls but I don`t think I`m ready for a 65-70 cm doll.

5. I did, not in a bad way and not because of the quantity but because the lack of portability.
      I'm starting to aware that I have no much time since I'm becoming a senior in college, and so I rarely played with the first doll I had, which is SD that I sold.

So I'm converted to tinies now, I planning to put them in my bag anywhere I go now, because they just easily slip inside it, no need for me to worry about space. The only sad thing is not as huggable as larger one.
      Though I still interested in SD once I'm free from college and have time, they still caught my interest :)

@Selenae I suggest you look for SD with good poseability too, because thats what happen to me, my first doll body poseability didn't suit my liking

6. Only by the 65cm+ ones haha. ~60cm is my favorite size, IDK why I guess they just have a presence and I love how heavy and solid they are. I mostly have MSD size though as I really love a lot of the sculpts and bodies in that size, and they're generally less expensive. Anything smaller than MSD I kinda tend to ignore. :( I love Lati Yellows and Tiny Delfs and I hope to try them out someday, but the few tinies I've had have just been left on a shelf and not paid any attention to... I had one YoSD as well, and I liked her but again, the size just didn't feel right to me. So I'd say I'm the opposite... more intimidated by tiny dolls than big ones :sweat

7. Totally i mean they are beautiful its just the size of them is just terrifying to me like where will i keep them? How do i even move around with them? ya know?

@Lupe540 I feel the same way!!

#47 DODLuver, Apr 15, 2017
      Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2017
    8. I do becoz I m petite and it is too big in scale for me

However I enjoy seeing pictures of them
      Not too enjoying to see them in person though

9. I used to think that SDs were too big. I admired their appearance, but I found it a lot easier to handle my MSDs until I got my first DD... Then I was hooked on the SD size and started looking more at the SDs than the MSDs. :XD: Now most of my dolls are SD size... Their size also makes it a lot easier to try find a variety of clothes & props. MSDs were always kind of in the limbo zone of not quite big enough to suit things, and not quite small enough to suit things :'D On the flip side, I think anything smaller than a YoSD is a bit too small and fiddly.

10. Not at all! Four out of the five of my dolls are SDs. I Admit that when I got my first doll, an SD, I was a little intimidated since he took up a new, unfamiliar presence in my room, but I grew comfortable and now he's just there haha. Ever since then, I haven't been intimidated by other SDs.

11. It depends on the doll. My Souldoll Shiva is hardest to wrangle and take anywhere because of her arms but my other 2 Souldoll Zenith girls are ok to transport. The AoD 90cm boy that's been visiting is pretty heavy but he is more manageable than Shiva. My Volks SD is my favorite carry doll, but I'm 170cm so I like the look of an SD over something smaller to carry. For a meet, I like to bring 2 dolls so Unoa is the best for that.

12. My collection is mostly SD, and I think for me it was not so much the size, but the realism in certain dolls, especially the guys, that I find a bit overwhelming sometimes. When they are big and quite realistic, it just a bit too much. That's why I only got my first Iplehouse in 2016 and I'm in the hobby since 2008. I really admire IH dolls, and I'm glad that I finally got one of their EID's, but it was a big step for me.

I really love the aestetics of SD, and I think I would continue buying SD, if they didn't take up so much space (and money...). That why I adore the Souldoll Vito size (50 cm). They have the looks of an SD, but more the size of an MSD. I sometimes wish I could rescale my whole SD collection in that size. It's just perfect.

13. No, they are gorgeous...that's probably because I prefer the mature looking ones. Tho I must admit, I have some hassle handling / posing them as I have small hands :sweat But they look really good in photos so it's all worth the trouble for me ^^

14. I prefer bigger Dolls too.
      My first Doll is an MSD, after, I have buy one SD and I really like the fact I don't have to stand in some difficults positions to take photos of him x) (But, it's maybe because I'm very lazy. xD)
      So now I have one more 60cm doll and I think I will never buy a doll smaller than the MSD size.

Aaannd, I find more accesories for SD and MSD than for smaller Doll.

15. My dollie world is 1:3 scale, so yep, love the SDs - my adults. I love making clothes for them! They are big enough so that I can do realistic details which is wonderful. I have MSDs for the kids, & some YOSD sized tinies as well, which is fine, but I don't have many of them & would never want mature minis ever.

16. I don't own one but I was handed one to hold at a meet. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but I was honestly surprised at how heavy and solid he was. I couldn't imagine carrying one around for a significant length of time! Must be like carrying a small child. They are gorgeous, but I was overwhelmed. I'll stick to MSD for now. :)

17. I'm fine with SDs and larger dolls if they're well proportioned, and SD is actually my favorite size.

If most of their height is made of leg, however, it's definitely overwhelming. I can't deal with so much gam action, when you hold a doll with too much leg it can feel like wrangling a bundle of disobedient sticks. I actually sold a doll because of this specific problem.

18. I'm new and know the feeling. I prefer the MSD size and smaller currently because the larger ones are overwhelming (but beautiful)

19. At times, yes.

My first, and presently only, doll was/is a Ringdoll Grown (the now retired Sol sculpt). Those boys are about 70cm tall with gorgeous long legs. I've not handled him for about 3yrs, so it's kind of daunting trying to get him to stand. I don't know if the three years he's spent in pretty much the same sitting position has helped, but he seems to stand better than I remember him doing when I first had him. It can still be a bit of a fight to get him to balance just right so he stands unaided, but I'm impressed.

Being a 6'2 individual myself, a 70cm doll works really, really well. I remember one photo I did, where he was standing between my legs. I pointed the camera down, and snapped the picture. It looks like he took the photo of his shoes. Let me see if I can find it (it's about 3yrs old...). Ah, yes:

[​IMG]

If those shoes didn't look so tacky, it'd almost look like a human. The shoes unfortunately let it down. But, that is a 70cm doll; not me, or anyone else's legs. That's a doll.

The only thing that overwhelms me about him now is taking him outside. And, by that, I mean out into the real world; not just for a merry stroll round the garden. I mean to meets, and for photoshoots in stately homes or country parks. He's not the easiest to pack up for a day out. That's why, now that I'm trying again, I'm looking for a smaller companion for him. I've actually picked out a Mystic Kids Cris (27cm), but I'm waiting for some extra funds to come in before I buy him. Alex (my Ringdoll) will stay at home - sorry, Alex - and my MK Cris will come out with me.

But, Alex is my first, and he is my tall angel. He suits my frame, and I can't imagine having never had him (even if I have considered selling him a time or two, and nearly came close once...).

20. I love bigger dolls, but I can understand them being overwhelming. Not only are they more expensive, they're incredibly disobedient when it comes to posing and displaying. I'm also a lot more anxious when handling my bigger dolls, I always feel like I'm going to drop them.