1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you find larger dolls overwhelming?

Mar 23, 2017

1. I am a little staggered by how big my dolls are when I work with them. My smallest is 60cm. I am an animator and everything I work with is about a third the size of my dolls. My dolls dwarf anything I am used to. As a boy, I played with action figures that were tiny by comparison.

For me, the large scale is a lot of what appeals to me about the dolls I have. I enjoy working at the larges scale and the detail that can be achieved is great.

2. I only have SD dolls and I love their size. I'm not the nearest person so if I had smaller dolls I'd be worried about losing them under all my clutter. That being said they can be a little heavy and awkward to carry around.

3. Not at all! I only have SDs, and I love their size. They are a bit heavy, but for me it's a minor thing to deal with. When I joined the hobby, there were just so many more options for mature fantasy sculpts in SD size, and that's what really got me hooked.

4. No, I LOVE SD sized dolls 70cm or higher is all my wishlist is made of! Lol. I'm also to the whole being active in hobby been a fan/watcher for a couple of years now... Being poor kinda sucks but I finally got to buy my first boy a few months back. He's second and kinda short - only 52cm (in his boots maybe 54-56cm) but i am in love! He's getting his wig and outfit really soon! All ordered and on the way!

5. Absolutely love big dolls, and the Iplehouse EID & HID are as close to my "dream" dolls as I have ever found in 30 years of doll collecting. :)

6. I started with YOSDs but personally find that I prefer bigger dolls. Since I hope to eventually do all kinds of artsy things with my doll, I find the bigger size to be easier to handle and work with. However, I have just ordered two Dollshe boys and I'm actually kind of terrified of handling the 70cm dolls. Also, space is a concern and I'll definitely need to find a way to revamp my space to accommodate them and my other incoming 60cm dolls.

7. My mum's freaked out by them LOL But personally, I love bigger dolls! It's just a little difficult to bring out for me as they're pretty heavy/bulky. Plus when I try to pose them and get a good shot when I'm outside, people actually tend to stare more~

8. I really want to get a 70cm or larger doll and this is what I'm kinda afraid of. I am 5'2 and have small hands. I'm afraid it will be hard to handle. Makes me a little nervous but I'm going to jump in and get a larger doll soon. I will overcome!

9. Nope! I'm also petite but I really like bigger dolls! (They're actually my favorites!) :)

10. I really like how SDs look but I'm only planning to have one or two of them. I'm a bit intimidated by how big they are and how much space they take. That's why I prefer MSDs. I'd most likely keep them in boxes.

11. I have a small number of SD Dolls, as I loved the sculpts.. But I try to keep them to a minimum, because they take up space and can be heavy to handle.. I think percentage-wise, they are 10% of my doll collection. MSD is my favorite size.

12. That sounds a bit like the reason why I started with a 70cm doll. I'm a full foot taller than you, so I thought bigger would be better. Turns out I was right, in a way. He can still be a handful, especially when changing clothes, but I wouldn't change him for the world. Although, I maybe should've gone 10cm shorter for my first. Now, I'm looking at getting a 27cm doll; and, I have similar concerns to yours, except that my hands a quite...not big, but long. I don't get on well with fiddly bits. But, that's part of the challenge in this hobby!

13. I think it wouldn't be so bad, if I wasn't so clumsy. Ugh I drop everything and hit everything with my hips and occasionally run into door jams. I am a total clutz. When I was a kid, many of my dolls/stuffed animals dragged on the floor in my arms. Maybe I am having flashbacks? Lol

14. I prefer bigger dolls over smaller ones.

#74 Yukiona, Dec 30, 2017
      Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
    15. Yes large dolls are not for me. MSD seems to be a good size. I would be happy with somthing in between MSD and a Barbie.

16. I like big dolls. But the super buff big boys are kind of pushing my limits because then they are heavier and wider.

I'm really petite at 5'0" and at first I thought it'd be a lot, but I also enjoy sewing for the larger sizes much more.

17. SD sizes interest me but I get what you mean. They're definitely a little intimidating because of the price range but overall no they don't make me too nervous

18. Yes. I've two SDs at the moment and, though they are even a bit shorter than the "standard" SDs, I still find them overwhelming. Interesting enough, I'm not the shortest/smallest person in the world, but it's still difficult for me to handle them. Well, I guess my hands are kind of small and my strength is equal to that of a small child. Some SD sculpts are absolutely gorgeous, I just wish they came in MSD size.

19. No, I don't find large dolls overwhelming. In fact, I love the larger ones :)

20. When I first started in the hobby I had a RealPuki and I thought MSDs were big; now I'm quite attached to the MSD size but have found that SDs are just too big for me, but that could be due to the work it would involve to create a world on that scale ;)