1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you find larger dolls overwhelming?

Mar 23, 2017

1. Large dolls are no problem for me! I started out with SDs and that is all I currently collect. I think smaller dolls would actually feel a bit underwhelming for me since I am already used to the size of SDs! :sweat

2. Personally I like the 60cm SD sized, I find them easier to handle and work with. I have pretty bad arthritis so it's easier for me to work with them when it comes to dressing and poseabilotu. However I can't say I am totally commited to one specific size. I have had both tinies and MSD sized dolls before and I liked them just as much as the bigger guys.

3. I LOVE large dolls. Despite having arthritis and other joint problems, I prefer the heavier dolls, usually around the 70cm range, but I have SD's ranging from 60cm all the way up to 75cm. They have a greater selection of mature looking faces, and they're easier to make clothes for. My MSD's have nothing to wear because I have trouble adjusting patterns for them.

I do have a few YoSD's and one tiny bjd. They're also fun because they'll fit in a purse and are easy to take out on little excursions.

4. I like larger dolls than than the small ones, but I suppose it also comes down to their function as a character to me. If I'm making a child character I obviously go for a smaller doll than a bigger one, to keep the character consistent.
      I was in a dilemma not long ago when Racoon Doll released their David sculpt, and I was blown away by how pretty it was. But it was MSD sized, and that's no good when the character I need it for needs to be at least 65 (if not more) to match my Soom Vezuvia. That being said I like all sizes and have both Yosd's and MSD's and SD's in my collection :)

5. I have mostly large dolls but I think my next one will be MSD! I moved from a house to a tiny Brooklyn apartment so I think MSD is the way to go from here out lol. I do like larger dolls but I agree with OP, they can be really overwhelming.

6. My first BJD was 70cm and it was hard for me at first. I did get used to it though and the majority of my BJDs are SD-sized. Personally I like the odd-sized 35cm size best, and I do love MSD-sized as well, just most of the sculpts I wanted ended up being larger.

7. I love the large dolls. The closer the dolls are to human size, the more fabrics, trims and yarns I can use! Clothing construction is also easier. I'd love to have a Trinity (105 cm). Hopefully, that's big enough for me. I'm inspired by the doll workshop in the original "Blade Runner". I'd love to have a big room full of bjd eye candy! BIG! ;D

8. No but I would not want to have too many this size since it would be more difficult to carry around for me.

9. All my full dolls are 50-60cm tall and honestly, I prefer the larger SD size over the smaller MSD. Simply because their clothes are easier for me to make and I just like bigger dolls over small ones. However, the only part about SDs that overwhelms me is that I don't know how to make a proper in scale diorama for them. ;-; I'm also struggling with making enough space for all my dolls (full and floating heads).

10. I think roughly half my collection is SD or larger. I'll need to do a head count. I especially love the 70cm guys, but I only have three of them. It's certainly true that they take up a lot of space, but I find their physical presence comforting. If I'm honest, I like them because they are so large and cuddly.

11. @monochromaticoctopus Ah! Good reminder! The big dolls are no problem, but the furniture and dioramas are. I started buying things in SD scale and slowly realized I didn't have the room. Everything except SD-sized chairs went to Goodwill. That hurt. So, until I have museum-like floor space, my dioramas and furniture have to be near dollhouse scale.

12. I like big dolls, I cannot lie! XD I'm a big, beefy lady so no doll has ever been unwieldy for me. I mean I wouldn't want to carry around my EID man at a convention for hours or anything but I loves me some big dolls. Plus they're easier to sew for :D

13. Absolutely. I love the detail on them, but man oh man, you really don't realize what "1/3 scale" means until you see it in person. :lol: MSD is as big as I'll go. I actually prefer super tiny dolls (1/12 scale is my favorite), but there aren't a whole lot of BJDs that fall into that category.

If I had the space (and the strength haha), I would love to have a SD doll. The larger the doll, the easier the sewing. MSDs are pretty easy to sew for, too thankfully, but any smaller than that is a pain.

14. I like the aesthetics of larger dolls. The face sculpts are SO beautiful! Unfortunately, I do find them to be a little large for handling. That, and I have very limited space, so it would force me to keep my collection small, which isn't something I want to sign up for. I'll just have to admire them from afar :)

15. Honestly, SDs are so huge, to me personally, that they kind of freak me out. I'm a pretty petite person, and I would never feel comfortable playing with/posing them (I know how lame this must sound, but they're kinda heavy to me!), I wouldn't know where to store them, and they're also rather cost-prohibitive for me. However, they're absolutely beautiful; there are oodles of gorgeous SD sculpts I wish were available as MSDs (the perfect size for me). Fortunately, it seems like there are increasingly more mature MSD options available for people who like somewhat smaller dolls, but also really value the maturity and aesthetics of SDs.

16. I started with a large doll, so I think I'm used to it. I like having something larger to work with in terms of modification and customization. It just makes building and buying furniture hard because its all so big

17. I had the chance to hold and play with an SD at an anime convention a few years ago (I can't remember what sculpt or even what company the doll was from). I found the size wasn't a good fit for me or my lifestyle. My place is tiny, so I'd have no where to safely store a big doll. I struggled just to find a spot for my MSD! And where would I put all those massive clothes & accessories? My doll would need her own wardrobe space too :lol:

18. My SDs are my giant, silent roommates. :XD: They are far too big for my room, but I'm more comfortable with that size.

Tbh, I think of them as a Statement— this is what I like, and I am committed to it! You can’t miss them! If you want me, you’re gonna have to take the hobby, too!! [/dramatic sashay]

But also I have a cat who likes to knock dolls off of my desk. I tend to keep the dolls in their boxes anyway, but she has a harder time knocking the big boys down than she does the smaller OT dolls, and for that, I am glad. :| Darn cat...

19. Yes! But I'm considering them a lot, since the smaller sizes just don't have the face sculpts I want . I also get the problem with clothes, because the 1/4 can share them with my Blythe/Pullip/fashion Dolls and I save a bit.

20. I was super intimidated by them until I acutally held one for the first time! Once I had one I realied I loved them and even way more than MSD size! Now when I hold MSD, they feel like little barbies!