1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you find larger dolls overwhelming?

Mar 23, 2017

1. Is 1/3 already considered huge?

2. Sort of. I prefer 1/4 over 1/3 size due to the fact that I once held a SD doll in a bjd meeting and it's really heavy and quite huge.

3. Yes, I find them overwhelming. I tried 3 times, selling one after the other because they take too much space and really heavy. Don't get me wrong, I love the size. Most of the sculpts I love are in that size, but the size is just not for me. I plan to settle with 1/4 scale dolls and smaller.

4. Nope, I love them! Mostly I’m interested in mature sculpts and for 1/6... being an action figure collector it just seems cheaper and easier to get those in that scale. I’m also rubbish at sewing and do bigger is better for making things.

5. I don't have the space for a pack of SD dolls, but I do find them more endearing the bigger the are. No matter how heavy, I like the strong presence these bigger dolls have.

6. I find the larger dolls really impressive but I also feel like they probably would be too larger for me to comfortably handle/find places to pose them. I feel like I would probably be perpetually paranoid they are going to take a nose dive or something when I have them standing because of the weight of the resin. I really like all the detailing you can get for clothes and the like when dressing up the larger sizes though.

7. yeah, i do find them a bit overwhelming. i grew up on barbie sized dolls, & for me MSDs are already bigger than what i am used to. i have seen SD sizes at conventions & i think they are huge...

well... maybe one day. when i can afford one, & feel more comfortable around them. : )

8. I started out with MSD and I just reccently got my first SD, a 60cm which is now considered on the smaller end for SD. I had a lot of worries, including that I would be overwhelmed by the size - honestly, he's perfect.
      I find the size to be awesome, but maintenance and handling is definitely harder in many ways compared to MSD. My MSD feel like lifting paper clips after I handle him :lol:
      I'm pretty sure I was only able to string him by myself because his strings have lost their elasticity. The very real fear of getting a bit of my skin chomped off is ever-present while handling him.

My other extreme worry was that I would come back home to my MSD and find I didn't love them anymore. They definitely were re-contextualized for me in a way... But, I think I appreciate new things about them now. I have much more appreciation for how portable and easy they are to handle compared to my SD.

As others have said, SD is more huggable and has way more presence in a room, but when I want to play I will reach for an MSD first.
      Having an SD, I feel like size doesn't bother me that much? I can see myself going even bigger (nervously eyes my wallet) at some point. I just can't see myself going smaller, but I always knew that anything smaller than MSD was too little for me.
      Financially, MSD also has a lot going for them. I feel there would be a lot more MSD collectors if we had more mature sculpts available. :eusa_pray

9. At first I found MSDs kind of overwhelming-- I didn't expect dolls to be so BIG, you know? It's one thing to read the height in numbers and another to actually handle a doll.

But then I got my first SD, Aren, and I was a little overwhelmed by his...grand, what? 55cm? XD I didn't fully appreciate that he was on the smaller end of SD sized dolls. When I finally got my Dollshe Hound on the 18m pure, though, he set a new bar for huge and overwhelming. I don't even know how to carry my Hound! But as a result, suddenly Aren seems small and compact in comparison, and my MSDs and YoSDs seem absolutely tiny!

10. I don't think SDs are overwhelming. I own one 1/6, one 1/4, and one 1/3 now and I'm honestly not sure which one I like better. Although the appearance of most 1/6 sculpts aren't generally my aesthetic; to be honest my aesthetic includes more 1/3 sculpts, if my wishlist is any indication. It's my budget that keeps me toward the 1/4 size.

That being said, I have been to a meet where someone had a Dollshe... Hound, I think it was? He was massive. Idk if I'd go for the 70+cm. It would have to be, like, the most beautiful sculpt I'd ever seen.

11. 1/3 dolls intrigue me -- I've only ever seen about three -- but I'm not sure I'd want to own one. I love a ton of 1/3 sculpts but it's mildly intimidating for me to sew for and wrangle my 1/4 girls sometimes. The idea of having anyone more than about two cm larger is just... :nowords:

On the other hand...Based on the data points I have (my mature tiny, my 1/4 girls, and some 18" play dolls) the larger the doll, the more detail can be put into a sewing project without causing insanity/eye strain/frustration. It's interesting enough that I have a shortlist of my favourite 1/3 sculpts, for that day in the distant future where I can justify saving up for one.

I'd never want to go larger than about 60cm though. I wouldn't have the space!

12. I love the sculpting/muscles on a lot of larger dolls. They're what really drew me to BJDs, since they were so different from just.. regular old dolls. Seeing people next to their 1/3s is daunting though, so I don't really want to own one.

13. The bulk of my collection is MSD-sized, but I did venture in Dollfie Dreams a few years ago. I like the detail to costume that you can get. Last year, I finally was able to get my grail doll, the one that inspired me to get into the hobby, a Volks Tae 2nd, which is SD10 size. I bought a few more dolls of that size, and while I adore them (so pretty! Such a presence!), I'm finding a big learning curve on how to deal with them, taking pictures and such. So many years of handling MSD-sized dolls makes the SD's a little intimidating. Dollfie Dreams, not so much as they are lighter (and less likely to break if they fall over during a photo session!)

14. When my first 70,5 centimeters tall SD arrived, I was certainly overwhelmed. I only owned 14 centimeters tall girl, so the difference is huge. I even thought I made a mistake buying one for a few minutes. Nonetheless, the feeling is gone and I love her (not so much my arms when I have to carry her for a long period of time.) :XD:

15. Currently I have msd and smaller but I have two sd size on the way...... I’m honestly a bit scared about them arriving and I don’t know why lol! I think the main thing is finding a place to store them etc

16. Not to me I love my boys starting at 70cm to 76cm. I do have some smaller boys around “Matt” Tonner size as well.

17. MSD is kinda big for me, but comfortable yet, but SD is overhelming :( had some to check if that feeling will change, or maybe depends of sculpts or bodies but nope, everything bigger than slim msd is just too big for me ;)

18. I've had a few since I joined the hobby and only two are with me at the moment. I love them, but they aren't easy for me. I love those big guys but they are SO HEAVY!

19. I do find them a bit intimidating. They take up so much more room than I expected. I am still trying to figure out where they'll go when I set up their area. The space they need in order to do what I want is just a bit daunting. But I do love having them and I can't wait to expand on them!

20. Yea, their presence are overwhelming and that's what I like about it! I want their presence be felt or at least known~ I've had small figures before but it just not really click with me as I could not really "interact" properly.
      I'm glad i'm in love with SD size tbh. ^^