1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you find larger dolls overwhelming?

Mar 23, 2017

1. My largest is my 1/4 and she is such a perfect size... any larger and I think I would definitely be so intimidated!

2. Yes, but if I'm really in love with a sculpt, I would consider it. MSD is the largest I like to go, especially because of the small amount of space that I have.

3. When I first got my RS Long is was a bit of a shock, even though I made a paper mock-up before I ordered him to get a better idea of the size. I'd heard bigger dolls were heavier, but I didn't expect him to be so much heavier than my 60cm boy. It's only 10cm difference, for cripes sake! I've had issues with him since the beginning, though.The 60cm end of SD range has worked well for me with the one boy I have, but the 70cm+ is just a headache; he feels unwieldy and difficult compared to all my other dolls, ranging from 11cm to 60cm. I love the head but I keep debating selling the body because I don't care for it. I want to try out a few other bodies before I give up on this size entirely, just in case it's the body itself I'm having issues with, but I'm pretty sure the larger sizes just aren't for me.

4. The idea of a big doll is kinda scary to me, because I'm an itty-bitty girl in an itty-bitty house with an itty-bitty, already pretty tightly packed room. If the sculpt was right though, I'd probably order the doll anyways. 'Cause I'm a glutton with somewhat poor impulse control.

5. I loooove MSD's, for their cute childlike appearance. But ngl, I'd love an SD. This one doll I'm getting soon is a 1/3'd but juuuust barely, he just tips into it. One day, one of the dolls I'm going to need will likely need to be in the 60cm range, so I'll get to see a big doll in person. But not for a while! ^0^

Overall, I heard stashing all their clothes can be a hassle. D: Up till now, I did in fact think SD's would be overwhelming. But the more I think about it, the more excited I am, honestly.

6. Their size doesn’t intimidate me in the least. If not for the fact that they’re hell to transport, clean & restring I’d still have my SD crew.

I had a 70cm SD I didn’t bond with and if anything when I got him out for sales pictures after sitting in his box for so long he felt much smaller than I remember?

I’m sort of the opposite, I handle my tinies pretty gently cause they’re so small I feel like I might break them! :lol:

7. I really enjoy the more adult and realistic look that a lot of SD size dolls have, but they're just too big for me. The only doll I have is a YoSD, and I love her size, but I would like some MSD sized dolls. If only the could make some SD sculpts MSD size...

8. I have a handful of life goals and one of them is to eventually own a Dollmore Trinity :lol:
      I can't help it - the more I stare at my Lusion, the smaller she looks!

9. My first BJD I ever owned were two MSD Dollstol dolls I got off FB Market and they were so.... big. I... hated their bodies (they were same sculpt) and now I have a DoD Appi who is so small compared to them and I love her size. I find myself more attracted to the smaller sizes for some reason? So I feel like I would DEFINITELY feel intimidated by an SD doll.

And as sad as this next statement may sound, I'm kind of embarrassed to have dolls being 22. My bf has friends over all the time and my gut wrenches knowing they could tease me about owning dolls (I have MH dolls displayed on my desk, as well as Appi). I know it's silly but I'm sure some others feel the same, however this is a whole new thread topic haha.

So maybe I like the small dolls because they're easier to store/hide..? Ugh. Terrible to say.

The only SD doll I've seen that I was in love with was Dollpamm Neo Olive, who is an absolute bombshell and is the perfect mix of mature and stylized? But I don't think I would ever be able to have such a large doll at my desk knowing someone else could 1. confront me/tease me or 2. she could be picked up and broken since she's more likely to be seen/touched from her size.. if that makes sense.

10. They're definitely still intimidating to me. I had a vague sense of SD dolls being "big" by checking against a measuring tape, but when I recently attended a panel at a con and saw them irl, I was surprised again at just how much doll that actually entails haha. Right now MSD is plenty for me, but maybe one day if a sculpt really jumps out at me I'll try a larger size.

11. Yeah! I owned a peakswood rosemii and she was beautiful, I was in awe of her...up until I realised I have nowhere to put her, and she was HUGE....well she felt huge in comparison to my msd’s. 55cm is like my maximum height, Anything higher feels really bulky. Saying that though... I have like 3 grails in my wish list and they are ALL SD xD

12. i really like the larger dolls, they are more easier to customize and they are also more realistic XD

13. I've been thinking more and more about those really big dolls,the 90 to 100cm dolls. I really want one! It seems like there's so much you can do with a doll that big,and it's easier to make things in a larger scale.

14. My largest is my Iple EID Muscle dude (broad shoulders and 68cm), I was only used to 50-60cm vinyl girls when I first got him and he was huge.

At.1.5m myself, I can only lug him and sometimes with his 62cm SID woman spouse outdoors under certain conditions. He's pretty much a ground level no tripod doll, unless there's a suitable tripod base for him to use. And I have to make sure that I'm at optimum health for the day with consieration to doll and equipment weight. I had to add an extra strap to his carrier in order to carry it like a backpack.

His size alone limits how many more similiar size male bjds I can get since the only other doll his size is hiis 1st generation body thats in storage until I need it for projects. He has a 50cm FID version but his big self's clothes have not being totally replicated for him yet.

Currently 50cmers are running amok at home with the light weight Obitsus dominating projects

And yes I miss shooting him outdoors considering his adventurer persona.

15. I used to but handling my SD doll (65cm) has made me more used to the size. The first time I received him I had owned an MSD and a YoSD and I was a bit startled by how heavy he was and how tall he was (I usually had him sitting down as it worried me that he might fall over). I chose the size because SDs look like adults; I didn't bond with the smaller dolls much but I did almost immediately with him. Now that he's been with me for a while I can't image handling a smaller doll again. Although he isn't as portable, it is much easier to make clothes for him and he feels less fragile. His weight has become oddly comforting.

#155 raphaelite, Oct 7, 2018
      Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
    16. Large bjds are definitely not intimidating. There's more room for seams for complicated clothes!

17. Actually I prefer 65-73 cm doll. Some how feel like SD dolls are easier to dress up. It is easier to find the style of doll clothes that I want. Also they have a more mature face. I always feel like 1/4 doll's face looks a bit too young for me XD. I don't feel intimidated at all, one issues I have with them is that they are so heavy and large in size, it is very hard for me to carry them around.

18. I have to admit that the SD dolls do intimidate me a bit. They're the size of a small child. That's massive! I don't know where I'd put one, whether to display or store it. I like admiring others' though. And I feel like dressing them, styling them, and just in general customising them is probably easier than smaller dolls because of the fact that they've got more to work with. I know I've seen a lot more options (especially with regards to shoes) for 1/3 and larger dolls.

19. SD-sized dolls do not intimidate me (I have hold a bunch of them in meetings and so) but they are not for me in terms of the money they cost and the space they need.
      I fortunately only really like one SD, a big girl from MaskCat, but it's not likely that i will purchase her. I prefer to stick to my MSDs and Yo-SDs.
      Also there is the fact that I am trying to reduce my doll family so... No dolls any size for me xD

20. I love big dolls !! SD is the largest I like:lol: