1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you find larger dolls overwhelming?

Mar 23, 2017

1. I love all my dolls. Just want to say that. XD My first experience with an SD was my friend's own first doll. And we were both so careful with her but, at the same time not overly cautious. My next experience was when I got my first (and currently only) 2 SDs as kits (at the same time). I'd never strung a doll before, so it was a learning curve. I was trying to be really careful and yet not so careful. I had the first doll completely strung and had discovered that the s hooks included with the doll were so cheap and not what they should be that I measured them with it in my head that I would replace it lated. Well. I was so proud and I was on the phone with my friend at the time telling her about my new doll, moved one hand slightly and the s hook snapped. Arm pieces went flying and just narrowly missed my eye shooting past. O#O; I freaked out but the pieces were fine and the broken s hook miraculously didn't scratch anything. I contacted the company, but they refused to do anything about it. The next doll I strung a bit loose because I was afraid of the same thing happening. After that, I just found it kinda a bit much to try to do the same things with them that I did with my friend's. And I was extra cautious of my friend's after that. Otherwise, making clothes for them is easier, styling wigs is easier, and I really love having them around. But I don't often do photoshoots with them. And my poor girl is missing an arm because even though I got replacement hooks for her, the old one snapped on the otherside before I could replace it and I never found the elbow bean. So I guess overwhelmed wouldn't necessarily be the right word for my feelings toward the SD size, maybe... Unlucky? XD

2. I find msds and yosds to a pretty good size for cuddling and carrying around. I’d always imagine a larger doll would be too heavy and cumbersome for me, even though I’ve never seen one in person. I kind of want one just for the novelty of it though.

3. I was terrified of the first SD I saw lol! I met up with someone from my school who had an SD. It was the first time ever seeing a doll in person and I was like “aaaaaaaah”. It didn’t help we met in public and I was a little embarrassed about being interested in dolls at the time. I actually am planning on getting not one but two SDs. One at a whopping (to me) 72cm. It took some time but I’m over my fear of SDs haha... I still like MSDs more because they’re more affordable overall but I love dolls of all sizes!

4. I'm still very new to the hobby and the only doll I currently own is an SD sized doll, I do have preference for larger dolls. I think i made an exception recently and purchased my first YOSD(I think?) doll from Luts which I am still awaiting her arrival. I think due to be being a very tall individual, i feel I wouldn't nearly appreciate as much smaller dolls and my current SD doll feels perfect when I hold her. She doesn't feel too heavy to me and feel just right when held. I also love the amount of detail and as many others say, presence, that they have at the SD sizes.

5. While I do prefer SDs, I have found my MSD is definitely easier to dress, pose, and manage than my SD doll. The SD has such long arms and legs and is a lot heavier so it can be pretty overwhelming sometimes.

6. I love my boy no doubt but sometimes he is just so big it's hard to find a place for him lol, I actually want a smaller doll for my next one cause I kinda want to be able to take the doll with me more often =)

7. I personally think the SD size is too big (I might own one someday but to daunting to think about ATM)
      The prices are high and they are so big making transport a bit harder especially harder with a toddler as well (my msd are in a backpack)
      They take up a lot of space too that Is hard to find in my little room. But having a doll just smaller than my one year old is the most scary part especially knowing the damage he could do (after witnessing the... affection he has for his "our generation doll")

Also I am way more overwhelmed by doing a face up on a SD I feel like it would be easier to notice mistakes on a bigger face

Though in saying that I do admire them I wish there were more mature looking MSD sculpt

8. The size of SDs is a major part of what attracted me to the hobby in the first place, as they just seem to have such an incredible and commanding presence. The biggest I own are 72cm, but I'd love to get a 75cm or even 80cm doll someday. I do have an upper limit, though; got to see a Granado Titan in real life and I was definitely intimidated. Think that's too much resin for me. :sweat

9. I was collecting other sized dolls for years. Right now I only own SD and I am totally happy, I guess they represent what I am better than little sizes. I am 1'83 tall LOL I really feel more comfortable with my SD guys

10. Not at all!: I love SD size. Most of my dolls are SD. But I have nothing larger than 70-72cm. My favorite size in 60-65cm.
      MSD are cute, but I like the presence SD have. It might be strange but I also like how heavy they are. I like to feel the kg in my hands when I hold a BJD. :XD:
      It's also easier to paint them, or to make tattoos on their body.

11. I do haha. Playing with big dolls just makes me tired. I actually spend more times with yosd and DSD sized dolls.

12. My first doll was an 73cm boy and at first I was worried about transporting him and the like for photoshoots so I got an MSD. After handling both I very much prefer the 70cm boys. I wish I had figured that out before I got two other MSDs but the joy of this hobby is there is no wrong way to enjoy it.

13. The only reason I find them to be so overwhelming is due to the costs of having one. They cost more to dress, and care for.

14. I used to honestly. I owned a couple of SD before, but resold them because I was overwhelmed. Then I saw Doll Chateau's Fergus 70cm. I even considered him my Grail doll. I had a love-hate relationship with him at first when he first finally arrived. He was so huge! I left him in his box and was disappointed in myself for a few weeks. One day I just decided to take him out and somehow I just bonded with him. I've since made him an outfit and he has quickly become my favorite doll. I don't think I want anymore SD sized dolls in the future, but I can always change my mind right?

15. I have BJDs ranging frorm RealPuki right up to Lusion, but the majority are in the SD size range, so I guess that must be my favourite size, despite it being harder to get furniture in the right scale (mine are all children, not adults, so regular 1/3 sized furniture is too small).

It's my favourite size to sew for too - so much easier to get fabric in the right scale and drape for larger sized dolls than the smaller ones.

Teddy

16. I'm not sure if "Overwhelming" is the right word to use for me.
      I'm just strange and don't like carrying things around all that much, so the smaller dolls are better for me because they're less weight and mass overall. Plus they're better when I have limited space to put them in.
      There are some larger dolls that I find absolutely gorgeous and I love the models of, but the idea of owning a 2 foot tall doll just doesn't seem appealing to me. Especially when it comes to trying to travel with them.
      There's really only one SD sized doll I want she's kind of a special case.

17. Nooo I love big dolls!!! They’re so nice and substantial and have such a presence and i think they tend to have sculpts I like more! I’ve always loved sds

18. I have one SD Doll Chateau girl, and right now I'm pretty confident that she is going to be my only SD. Yes, it is easier to sew for her on the machine and I do like her weight and proportions, but I don't have the special "little buddy" bond with her that I have with my smaller dolls. They are so easy to transport and they are so cute when I take pictures of them out in the giant world. For a while I felt "guilty" for having (for me) an incredibly expensive doll, so I treated her differently and more coldly. She's out for a faceup now so hopefully I will bond with her when she returns.

19. For myself, yes, I find them overwhelmingly big! I have seen some of my Instagram friends who do have SD dolls who are absolutely gorgeous, though! But personally, I don't find myself having an SD in my doll family. Not anytime soon, at least.

20. I really do! I keep telling my friends a 40cm doll is big enough for me since I was able to hold a 60cm doll once. I was frozen as I held the doll unsure of what to do. She was so big! Although, now I feel I want to go more towards the bigger babies... I feel a lot of SDs just have more stuff and that makes me really want them. Gotta overcome some fears!