1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you haggle?

Jul 9, 2009

1. Sellers:
      1. Do you state you take offers on your items? Yes
      2. If so are you willing to haggle the price, or do you just say 'yes' or 'no' to offers? Well if someone offered too low I would say "No, go a bit higher" I wouldn't flat out refuse to sell the doll to them anymore. I've had this happen to me as a buyer and it really upset me. I would've just offered more if I had known it would shut me out completely.

Buyers:
      3. Do you make offers on items in the MP? On dolls yes, and maybe a clothing set if I think it's too highly priced. If it's something I really want, though, I won't haggle, since it might mean the person not selling it.
      4. How do you determine what is a reasonable offer to make? I only buy things that I know the value of, otherwise I'd be wasting my money and time. So I research the price and offer accordingly.

Both:
      5. What are your experiences with haggling and making/taking offers? I don't mind haggling for things I'm selling. I fear haggling with buying since some people get turned off by it and will refuse to sell you an item after a bad offer.

2. I hate haggling, and have never done it here. If someone specifically asked for offers and a doll was just a bit above my limit, I might consider making an offer, but basically I'd prefer sellers just ask for the amount they want. If you don't want to set a price, make it an auction.

I don't even consider dolls who are listed as feelers with no price listed, either. I don't want to make an offer that seems reasonable to me but the seller might not think is enough.

3. This. Unless it's some ridiculously obscure doll, I won't ever bite at the feeler threads.

4. I don't mind receiving or making offers. Especially if the seller clearly states s/he is a entertaining offers. Which leads me to this--if a seller states in their FS post: "Asking X dollars" please do not be offended if I make an offer. In one or two cases, a seller wrote "Asking X dollars" and when an offer was made, the reply was, "Sorry. that is the price, I'm not accepting any offers." I felt foolish. It might be a language difference, but "asking" means to me that you'd like to get X dollars, but the price is negotiable.
      Or am I mistaken?

5. I don't mind when people make offers on my forsale items. Typically if I think the offer is reasonable I will take it, or make a come back offer. I definately prefer people to contact me with offers rather than pass over my item because the price is a bit more than they would like to pay. But for some reason I don't feel comfortable making offers. I am just too shy I guess. I may look at an item and think "if it was only a bit cheaper" but I always feel rude asking for some reason. So typically I won't make an offer, unless I desperately want something and just really can't afford any more.

6. I do not haggle because I believe it is rude, unless the seller has listed 'OBO'.

Sellers:
      1. Do you state you take offers on your items?
      Yes, I do.
      2. If so are you willing to haggle the price, or do you just say 'yes' or 'no' to offers? I say either yey or ney.

Buyers:
      3. Do you make offers on items in the MP?
      If and ONLY IF the seller has stated OBO or similar.
      4. How do you determine what is a reasonable offer to make? I research other identical items on the marketplace.

Both:
      5. What are your experiences with haggling and making/taking offers?
      Only one person has tried to talk me down on a price which I was quite firm on. To say the least, I didn't sell to them. They were also rude.

7. I am the worst at haggling - so I do not like it.

When selling on MP, I do welcome reasonable offers. If it is something I can work with if it is not I will just decline it.

I bought all of my dolls because I like them, so if I do not sell, it is fine by me. Thus if the offer is just not something I think it is worth my time, I'd rather keep the doll for myself.

8. I guess I haggle, although I prefer the term negotiate!

I make reasonable offers and am quite prepared for the seller to say no. I word my PM's as inquiries and if an offer of mine is rejected I always reply, even if its just to say thank-you.

9. I have taken counter offers on dolls and accessories even when I didn't have "OBO" stated. I don't mean drastically lower, but maybe $10 or less from the asking price. When I have made offers they have been accepted, as well. I think in the grand scheme of things, we strike even in the end. I am not a haggler by nature, though. I feel more comfortable with stated prices, and I certainly like "partial trades".

10. I feel very uncomfortable haggling, so I don't do it. I'd find it hard to do even if someone said they were willing to negotiate. Personally, I'd find it a bit rude to try to haggle with someone if they didn't say they would entertain offers, but that's just me.

11. I'm not a seller, but I dislike haggling in general. It just feels.... rude or awkward to me? I'm also not very good at it, I have a hard time trying to figure out what's a fair price to ask for sometimes. The only time I'll usually try it is if I'm buying a bunch of things from a particular seller, sometimes I'll ask if they'd give me a discount. For them it's probably more convenient to get rid of more things all at once rather than wait for each individual piece to sell to separate people so some sellers are willing to knock a bit off the price or sometimes toss in something else for free. But in general I'd rather have a price set than try to haggle something out.

If it's a general "taking offers" or feeler with no ballpark price I just close the window- I usually get the feeling that people who post items as a feeler only want to sell if they can get a high price that's probably more than what the item is really worth (unless it's a rare and hard to price item, or some handmade items).

12. Well said, I agree! Well at least on the why I don't haggle part. But I guess I wouldn't mind if a potential buyer tried to haggle with me.

13. I agree with this.

I generally don't haggle. I find it rude when others do it unless I have said that the price is negotiable. I price items at what I feel they are worth, rarely above what I paid unless it is a sculpt that I know I won't be able to replace later if I change my mind. Especially if it is a valuable or beloved doll, I would rather just keep it than let it go cheaper.

I really hate when someone seriously lowballs me.... like offering $100 - $200 less than I have listed in the thread. My selling pet peeve is when someone offers me a trade that is substantially lower in value than what I am selling, especially when I have stated that I am not looking for trades.

I apply this same courtesy to others; if an item is worth the selling price to me, I pay it. If it is not, I move on.

14. I don't haggle unless I really disagree with the price asked. I set my prices low to avoid the whole haggling thing so it annoys me when people give me very low offers when I've already knocked $50 off. I recently had an offer on a doll which was half what I was asking, and I'd already stated the asking price was less than I'd paid. A little rude.

If I feel like giving a discount to a particular person I'm negotiating with, I'll offer it.

15. Seconded-I get that feeling too. And more than half the time they don't even bother to post a single picture-I don't want to deal with someone who can't be troubled to price their item or says 'PM me for pictures'.

I'm with everyone else who has said they won't haggle if the seller makes it known that that is unwelcome. I don't haggle per se, don't think I have the temperament for a long negotiation like that, but I will make an offer if the seller says that's all right.

16. The thing that really annoys me is when a seller says make me an offer, so you make an offer and then they give you no indication of whether the offer was favorably received.

I had a doll I really wanted, the seller suggested a figure so I made an offer at that figure and the next thing you know the doll was being auctioned in the MP. No "thanks but I am really looking for $____", no nothing. In my view thats flaky behavior. All it takes is a little tact and honesty for a sale to be seamless and favorable to both participants. I would have been happy to pay the seller what she wanted had she told me three weeks beforehand when we started discussing the doll.

There's really no point in being a passive aggressive seller. If you want a specific figure then say so in your Sales thread. It makes things so much easier and cuts out the need for haggling. :)

17. See, in the (rural, ethnic) culture I come from, it is really more the inverse - it seems rude or 'standoffish' not to play the haggling game, at least a little. This does not apply to 'everyday' purchases, but is almost always so with privately-sold or large-ticket items. The way Dad taught me, is that if you don't try to negotiate, the seller may be left with the idea you did not want to talk with them, or that their price was lower than it should have been.

If you don't like offers, please say so in your thread! It only costs a few keystrokes, and it will save us both time and potential embarrassment.

18. Sometimes i do, when the seller states "willing to to take reasonable offers". but i usually don't save much =P
      For example i want a shirt and a pair of shorts at $12 each, so that would be $24+shipping, but the sellers says that she maybe able to lower the price a abit if we asked, so i asked for both items with $20 (since i am only a poor student with no income, i need to save as much as i can xDD)
      She declined the offer but instead offered me free shipping, which was even better =D

19. Sellers:
      1. Do you state you take offers on your items?
      I usually state that I am open to reasonable offers:) Although not after I already dropped the price a few times... Once I had a very nice, detailed outfit in the Market Place-- it wouldn't sell even though the price was good and I offered layaway. At some point I noticed that I dropped the price so much that wouldn't be totally happy while selling it, a lower offer just wouldn't do.
      2. If so are you willing to haggle the price, or do you just say 'yes' or 'no' to offers?
      Hmm, willing to haggle if it means a quick sale but not *very* willing, I quess ^^; Not after my last experience-- the buyer really asked too much. Next time I will consider more carefully before I say 'yes'.

Buyers:
      3. Do you make offers on items in the MP?
      No. There was only one case when I considered it (the doll was very expensive and the seller stated that she also accepts lower offers), but I don't think that making offers and haggling is very elegant ;)
      4. How do you determine what is a reasonable offer to make?
      It really depends on the item's value... If the doll is 1200$, I think that offering 1100$ would be all right. I wouldn't want a seller to get annoyed with me. I don't think it's all right to offer way less because you see that a seller is desperate-- I would like the both sides to be happy with the transaction.

20. Oh lord, THIS. I was selling something priced at $600 (which was a REALLY GOOD PRICE for it) a while back and had three people PM me to ask if I would trade for dolls that sell under $300 new. Two of them did it after I had added a line stating I was not interested in trades. They got pretty curt responses.

It seems like most people who are willing to take offers say so in their threads. Why is the default assumption that someone IS taking offers unless they explicitly state otherwise? I usually don't say "I don't take offers" because I worry that it will come across as rude and cranky (which I can be, but usually not in my sales threads!) and put off people who didn't want to make an offer anyway.