1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you have a favorite BJD size?

Aug 27, 2021

1. I had an MSD sized bjd when I started the hobby, but now I only have Tinies (1/8 and smaller). I have smaller than average hands for a girl so just handling and cuddling my minifee was difficult, but now I can easily and comfortably hold my Tinies while one handed :)

Tell me what size bjds you prefer and why!

2. i like 1/4 scale dolls personally. I'm not very strong and I find 1/4th dolls (especially minifees!) to be light enough for me to redress and customize easily. I'm afraid of tinies because I tend to lose things so I'd be terrified of a tiny getting lost.

3. I really like 1/4! SDs are a nice size and I would love to have at least one some day, but since I don't have a lot of space where I live, msd is the perfect size for me!
      big enough to hold and play with how I like, and small enough to not take up too much room.

4. 1/3 scale, and I try to keep the bulk of the collection to 65cm and under. I’ve had all sizes over the years, but nothing else has that same presence for me as the big guys! (Sometimes I wish it was different since the littler ones are so much easier to store, but I always see them as accessories to the big ones.)

5. I have both SD and MSD sizes. However, I am more partial to the SD size.

6. I have a variety of sizes, but I like 1/3 scale, 60-65 cm the best despite them being heavy.

7. I have a large range of sizes but I think I prefer the SD16/17 size, followed by SD13/10 size, and then MSD. The type of clothes I like for my dolls comes in all these sizes. I find my SDs easiers to dress and style but the MSDs are easier to carry to a photoshoot that's far from home.

8. 1/6 and smaller are my favorites, though my MSD population is slowly increasing. :3

9. I feel like I might have already posted on a very similar thread before, but then again, my brain fails half the time (or more, I'm an insomniac!). I have always preferred 1:6, but I mean actual 1:6 scale figures (or dolls, but that's rare) and not 30-cm chubby babies, and I mean humanoid-proportioned doll or figures that are actually six times smaller than a real-person. I don't usually collect child dolls, so the thought of "six-foot-tall-babies" is not really appealing to me (if any 30-cm baby was actually 1:6). I also collect 12" fashion dolls (like mass-produced Barbie), so I would prefer that all my dolls be either 1:6, or under 12" in height, with realistic proportions, and mature looking vs. child-faces with mature bodies.

Having sad that, when I first learned about these dolls, there were no mature minis, let alone mature tiny-dolls -- and none where realistically proportioned by any stretch of the imagination. So, most of my small group of this kind of dolls are larger than 43cm, but I would ideally have preferred if all where under 15" tall, or actual 1:6 mature looking dolls. Actual scales under 1:6 are too small for me, although I have gotten a few (how many times can I say) actual 1:12 action figures and models in the past few years. However, I haven't unboxed those yet, but I know I'll lose a pair of hands or feet any minute, so I keep hesitating and that's why I don't like smaller sized dolls/figures than 1:6. (:

10. I like 1/3-- from 53cm to 65cm. I find it's is a good size to handle, not too hard to sew for, easiest to faceup. Anything smaller just doesn't have the weight I like, and doesn't feel as...impressive? to me. Like the size is just too similar to play line dolls for me. I don't mean any of this as an insult to anybody else's dolls, I enjoy seeing dolls of all sizes, but I think 1/3 is the only size for me personally.

11. The first dolls I collected were mostly 60 to 62cm SDs. I LOVE that size because they feel good to hold in my arms. The clothing and shoes seem easier to find also. My very favorite doll i still my first doll. An SD Tumnus from 5 Star Doll. Every time I look at him, I get all warm and fuzzy inside.
      The last couple of years I have branched out to collecting Minifees. I love them because the sculpts are just so beautiful and whimsical. I have other MSDs too, and love them all, but shoes are so hard to find for slim MSDs. They are always too darn big. I hate paying more for doll shoes than I would for my own shoes, only to discover that they are too big for any of my dolls.

12. I definitely prefer slim MSDs. I’ve tried chunkier regular MSDs and a small SD (Feeple60) and I just do not like them at all. They were too much for me. I also really love all the modern clothing options in slim MSD/Minifee size, and really like that most of my dolls can share clothes. I also have a couple of child yoSD sized dolls, but 9 times out of 10, I’m wanting another slim mini.

13. I have a lot of sizes from 80cm Lusion right down through to tiny little RealPuki, but it's SD size I have most of - they're a nice size to handle and play with and are my favourite size to sew for because it's easier to find fabric in the right drape/thicknesses, patterned in scale with the doll, and small enough trim and fastenings to work for them.

Teddy

14. I personally like 30-40cm, but I feel like I am a bit of an out layer. I would never, even if it was perfect in every other way. I would never buy a doll bigger then that.

15. I love all the various sizes and have most of them in my collection, but if I had to choose an absolute favorite it would be MSD. I began collecting with the idea of creating beautiful displays for my dolls right from the beginning. I soon discovered that MSD size worked best within the dimensions of my display spaces, so that’s what I began to collect. There is great diversity among dolls and companies in that size which also appealed to me. Eventually, over the years, I’d find unique nooks and crannies to fit in a new doll display, and that’s when I started adding other sizes (from super tiny Realpuki to 65cm.) But by far, the bulk of my collection is mostly MSD size.

16. I have two favorite sizes… slim minis and littlefee sized dolls. I love my much smaller and larger dolls but I’m always ridiculously tempted by my favorite sizes. They are too cute.

I kind of think I’ve hit my dolly limit though. I have to really be careful about adding more.

17. I started off with a 1/4 scale bjd, and collected off-topic dolls that fit somewhere between 1/6-1/4 scale.

Currently, with exceptions—I mainly collect 1/3 scale, especially 63-72cm in scale. I prefer more mature sculpts, and the majority of mature bjds are in that 63cm and above range. I have a couple 1/4 MSDs, yes—but they're kind of the oddballs in my collection. Tinies feel too tiny for me (they seem so fragile, plus the majority are very baby/toddler like, which isn't my cup of tea), a majority of 1/4 MSDs are child-like (not something I'm into), and the ones that are mature feel like glorified action figures to me. I can create stronger, more realistic details in 1/3 SD+ sculpts, whereas mature minis are limited. Yes—some people have managed to make 1/4 mature minis look fairly realistic, but oftentimes it looks better from a distance instead of close-up. You can get more realistic up close details that you just can't with their smaller counterparts.

I make exceptions for smaller sizes when it comes to animal based bjds (cats, for instance—I'd be fine with 1/4 and smaller for cat MSDs), but, for the most part—1/3 is the only size for me.:kitty2

18. I looooove 1/3 scale BJDs. Their size, their weight! They are definitely harder to store and harder to carry around but boy they are worth it to me. I totally understand why some people prefer smaller but bigger is better for me.

It's probably best I don't see a dollmore trinity or lusion in real life. I'm afraid I'll start to find my 1/3rd size dolls to be insignificant. I'd probably just go insane if I found a 1/1 BJD. Not that I'd be able to pick it up but I'd have so much fun being able to use my clothes, wigs, and shoes.

I wouldn't be surprised if variations on this question have been asked a few times. Are you thinking of this thread?

19. I feel most comfortable with 1/4 dolls. Not too big, so they don't take up much space. Not too small, so I don't feel like I'm going to break the doll so easily. Their clothing also tends to be just a bit cheaper than most 1/3 options, too. However, my favorite doll is a yosd size (Miss Kitty, Dollzone). I have such a hard time handling her, I wish she were a 1/4.

20. i have a couple of MSDs i love and am very fond of of smaller 20-30 cm dolls my absolute favourite are large SDs the 65-75cm range, i find them easier to paint, more solid and present and the amount of variety you can get, i just wish it was easier finding clothes for larger ladies lol