1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you have a favorite BJD size?

Aug 27, 2021

1. im gonna have to say msd’s are my favorite atm! i had a pukipuki & pukifee but they were too sma i couldnt bond. i also currently own a volks yosd una but looking to sell her since i also cant bond :/ i just think especially for building characters how i like i need a more mature doll. the only thing that i struggle with 1/4 dolls is that there arent many mature boys. so that has me thinking about trying out and sd doll. but the size is pretty intimidating since ive never even seen one irl :pout:

2. SD, but when it comes to particular styles like detailed resin or cute animal type dolls MSD are easier to handle for me. I'd love to get a 80cm doll and see how that goes :love

3. I love yosds because they are so easy to store :)

4. Right now, I just have MSDs and I quite like them. I'm interested in checking out SDs some time but space constraints now, and I think I'd want a chance to see one in person first to get a feel for them! (Though I hadn't seen any BJDs in person before getting my MSDs, so y'know.)

There's cute dolls of all sizes, but I try to stick to MSDs, preferably around 45cm. I have a bunch of playline dolls in the like 1/6th scale, so I feel like that side's covered. 1/12 would be just too small for me to make clothes comfortably. 1/3 I don't have space for and, as pretty as many are, I tend to fall in love with slightly cartoonier faces than a lot of them have! MSDs are big enough to both sew and knit clothes comfortably without worrying too much about material choice, tend to have faces I like, and fit in the space I have without being cumbersome or easily lost among a menagerie of Barbies and Monster High.

5. Oh yeah, totally 1/4. I like the weight of them in my hands, they are large dolls but not so large they're too heavy for me and I can share all my clothes between them~

6. I think I'd have to say a 1/3 size. I've got two on the way, and even though I've never held one in person, that size feels the most aesthetically pleasing to me - I personally like being able to see more details on things, and over and above having a larger head for me to admire the faceup on, I guess the items made for 1/3 size feels like they have the 'right' amount of detailing:XD:

7. I dont know if I have a favourite, but I tend to steer towards 75cm size (I pampered my big boys than my smol boys) but I do know that my life will prolly be easier if I stick to SD17 sizes:sigh

8. I'm an SD person at heart. I've tried my fair share of MSDs and YoSDs over the years, but I often find myself uninspired with them. I currently only have one Yo and MSD each, and I've even been considering parting with my Yo as of late!

9. jumping on here because I don't want to make another thread of an already existing one! but wanted to discuss this topic :D

I always thought I preferred 1/4 scale, just because it was a good medium, not too small but not too big. Being honest anything bigger than 1/4 kinda scares me :XD: I think SD are all so detailed and intricate but the size freaks me out as well as they're so much more expensive!
      That saying I recently got my first 1/6 doll and oh boy I love the size sm!! He's just so holdable and cute, I might be biased tho because I've always had a soft sport for minatures lol Maybe I will get more of that size in the future!

10. When I first started it was ¼ all the way. A few smaller dolls worked their way in as little siblings. They are easier to buy props for.

Now, it's ⅓ & up. I really like the bigger dolls. I have to make more of their furniture, clothes, it does give me more doll projects. They are heavier to carry around, but I really like the weight of them. I just really enjoy the size of them. I find them more fun to have around.

11. 1/4 is my favorite for sure!

12. I think MSDs would be my favorite size, though I do like the maturity of 70cm sculpts.

13. I only own 1/4, 1/6 and 1/8 because anything bigger is not for me that so, between those sizes, I would say the one I'm most inclined to get (considering every part of the hobby like clothing availability, posability, variety of sculpts, etc.) is MSD.

14. 1/4 feels just right for me, size wise. It also helps that they are very easy to get props and furniture for. I also have a soft spot for YoSD and BID sized dolls.

15. I really admire 1/3 and up because I love super buff male bodies and I haven't seen any 1/4 dolls or smaller that's lived up to bigger sculpts (like think the voice with its juicy ass pecs:drool) but again the size is scary to me, I wish they made more smaller beefy dolls!:eusa_pray

16. BIIIIG meaty ones! The Dollshe Superman i just learned about is a DREAM GRAIL doll omgggg, but i love 1/3 60cm+ dolls!

17. I like 1/3 scale (SD and MSD)!
      I used to primarily collect 1/6 dolls but after getting my MDD I fell in love with the scale. The clothing is so detailed and the dolls feel more life-like at that size.

18. I used to think I did not, but I recently realised I do.

I like to “use” my dolls (As in pictures, changing outfits etc). I’d also like to start making them more unique.

I realised recently that the SD sized and bigger dolls are just much too big for me. I’m kind of weak and handling 3kg+ heavy dolls are just too much for me to handle comfortably, they’re a hassle to transport (In my opinion), and it’s a lot of work to change their outfits- It can be super fun, but it’s not for me. Their clothes, the way to customize them etc is also a tiny bit more pricey.

But I think the YoSD sized dolls are a bit too small, and generally have a more “childish” face in my opinion, unless they’re model dolls or whatever it’s called. I also think the “normal” YoSD sized dolls don’t have as much “mature” looking clothing options, and I love mature looking clothing options!

So, basically, I love MSDs the most- to me, they have the best of what I prefer in both YoSD and SDs; they have mature AND childish looking clothes that are quiet easy to find, they’re a little cheaper than SDs to customise (and in price), and they’re already much easier to transport, even if they’re not as easy as YoSDs. They don’t take as much space as SDs; but they’re “easier” to handle than YoSDs because of their slightly bigger size.

19. No offense to my msds or big boys, but tinies seem to be my fave. And within that group I really like the PKF to yosd size the best (tho my absolute, hands-down favorite individual doll is actually smaller than a Puki). Will admit they're easier to transport & lighter, but that's not really why I like them "most." I think it's that at first I fell in love with a group of sculpts that happened to be in that size, and (w/ 1 exception) only that size so I collected a bunch of them, and that the group of characters my tinies represent are some of the nearest & dearest to me.

#99 acidquill, Mar 10, 2023
      Last edited: Mar 10, 2023
    20. In the beginning of my obsession, I seemed to have a rather eclectic taste when it came to sizes, but that has been changing. I typically avoid anything above MSD (and am currently parsing down my MSDs so I can afford some different smaller friends). One of my larger sized MSDs is a Dream Valley Vine Fullset. I couldn't imagine having anything bigger than him, although I really adore his head sculpt and hair. If I had to really nail down a size, it would be YoSD (mature 1/6ths being my favorite to make clothing for, and toddler-esque 1/6th being my favorite to dress up in clothing I buy). I really like my tinies. They travel well and do the whole "little doll, big world" aesthetic really nicely.