1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you have a friend that's jealous of the dolls you have?

Jan 11, 2007

1. No I only have one BJD so it is me that is the jealous friend. Most of my friends have at least 5.

2. well i have a friend who buys EVERY doll i have... its so annoying, it could be some kind of jealous one.
      but i dont think i have more friends like this, as Katheryne - i have so little bjd family that mostly im the jealous one ^^

anyway if we are jealous that makes us working harder or better, so its good in some way...

3. I feel like for those of us who are willing to drop this kind of money on them, these dolls are not and never will be a "trend." Sure, there are more people collecting now, but in my opinion that just means there's more people willing to pay for a great product. My 6 dolls are already worth a scholarship, so there's no way this is temporary for me. XD AS for jealousy, it's amazing what people will envy about you- sometimes it's better not to even ask! If it bothers you though, you should sit down and talk seriously to your friend about it.

4. Whoa, geez. I might not call that jealousy, but I'm not sure what I'd call it. O.o

Hopefully she'll get over it though.

5. Nope, personally I have only a few friends and fortunately none of them are jealous or something
      they are actually happy for me, and they find my dolls cute :D
      If a person yung consider a friend, seems jealos, I guess you should think first reconsidering him/her a friend...

6. I thankfully have no friends in this hobby to be jealous of me, or vica versa, which I am very greatful for! I'm not really interested in collecting, I'm just for the play/love aspect- although when I hear of others getting their dolls on a whim at a click of their fingers I do feel a bt negative towards them!! No one likes a show off XD

7. I don't think so... But often it's hard to tell unless someone says something to you.

Luckily, my friends are able to buy what they want, at least as much as any of us (it's never that easy!), so there shouldn't be any problems.

8. Something like that has happened to me before. I thought it was sort of ridiculous, and was almost offended. only by the point none of my friends were happy for me, they'd rather make me feel guilty over the fact that i earned the doll that had arrived. they seem touchy when i even bring it up, so i don't do it anymore unless pushed into it, but they seem angry when i don't tell them...?
      my friends don't work, they're older then me, yet they have the audacity to make me feel like i'm doing something wrong.
      i've learned, it's not their Art, it's mine, and i'm not going to apologize for something i work 60+ hours a week for.

9. I did. I have this friend who would get angry everytime I talked about my dolls. Although it wasnt because I have dolls, it was because I could "afford" them. It took me a while to explain to him that it takes me months of saving and budgeting and doing extra art commissions to be able to get my dolls. After that he kind of relaxed and understood better that it isnt that I can frivilously spend money, that I do work hard to save for them. So now he doesnt mind when I mention them, although I try not to really talk to much about them with him anymore, because he really hurt my feelings when he got angry about it.

10. I find at times that my daughters are jealous of the dolls because they are on my mind so much (and there is doll stuff all over the house lolol) but they have come to realize how much the dolls mean to me and how
      therapeutic they are for me so it works out in the end.

11. I'm jealous of some of the dolls my friend has sometimes. But then I remind myself that there's always enough cute to go around ;)
      Seriously though, sometimes I do have to give myself a stern talking to.
      glory

12. I think its more that my friend feels left because she can't afford one other than that she is jealous

13. I don't know , because I don't really have real friends , just " internet " friends :)
      and they loves my dolls

14. I have a jealous friend.

When I first got my BJD, it was of a character I had written stories about that she was familiar with. She thought it was cool, but ultimately sort of clammed up about it.

When I got my second doll, I was naturally very excited. I was running around telling everybody about him, showing off pictures and all that fun stuff. When I showed her, she admit she was jealous because she wanted one but would never have one. She labeled them as "rich kid" dolls, which honestly offended me because I dreamed and dreamed and saved and sold other hobby items for my first doll, which was in fact from one of the cheaper companies. She, much like the OP's situation, had plenty of other money-consuming hobbies (anime conventions/cosplay, concerts, random frivolous purchases), that if she just neglected to take part in for even one month, would have more money than my first doll even cost, shipping included.

It's frustrating, to say the least. If you take joy in something, you want to share it, and to have someone shoot you down or ignore you out of jealousy is a sad thing to take.

15. I was on the other side of this, the jealous friend.

I got into bjds when I was in highschool, my friend had seen them before but didn't really care until I had gotten into them. I couldn't get a job, there was nothing to save, I didn't even really have any other hobbies. And she went out and bought two dolls (when she said she didn't have money). It felt a lot like a slap in the face because later she did absolutely nothing with them (and may be selling one to me actually).

I know she didn't mean it like that though and I kept my mouth shut and offered to make clothes for them instead. I now have my own dolls, and I'm well over being jealous, it wasn't going to help anything. Instead I tried to help with her dolls c:

I suppose it could be that she's just frustrated that she can't afford this hobby without possibly giving up one or several of her other hobbies to pay for it? I don't know if you have any other hobbies anymore, but if you've sold other hobbies or at least suspended your other hobbies, you could always just say that you are focusing on this one hobby instead of another/several others?

16. I'd worried about this when I was buying my first doll. I kept telling her that I was finally saving for (and then going to buy) my first BJD, but she never responded. Even when I sought her out to communicate with her, she didn't respond to me. Eventually, after a serious lack of responding to anything, I gave up communicating with her.

I have no idea if she has a doll or not, but I know she and I both had wanted one, and we both had OT Dollfies. After that, I have no idea.

17. I have a friend who doesn't have the best money situation and when I started getting into them hardcore she started to show interest and somewhat 'brag' (for lack of a better term) about how she's been wanting one for the past few years (I've only learned about them in that span of time) which makes me wonder why she didn't go out of her way to research and get a doll if she says she's been wanting one for so long?
      I don't mean to rag on her like this but it's just a bit annoying, and she doesn't seem interested in them at all unless she's with me which makes me feel like would the doll get the proper attention for the money it's worth.

18. While I may sound like a brat, but it happens to me all the time. I've had one person make me feel guilty for having "beautiful" dolls, when it is just that I spend a lot of time picking out face-up artists and buying nice accessories. And when I say guilty, I mean in the tone that is "you are giving my puppy CANCER."

I often get the jealous remarks of "I've wanted X doll for so long and you have him/her! Sell it to me!" It is the most ridiculous when I've just pointed it out as one of my favorite dolls.

19. It works both ways. Im jealous of people, they jealous of me.

Mainly people are jealous with hard to attain dolls. Since most of my friends irl all own volks, we envy certain molds. Its silly to many because we quarrel about you have masha, I have Sasha. Same mold, different skintone and we argue.

It all ends up at who is determined so hard to get that doll theyre jealous of.

20. I highly doubt it. Only two of my friends are even interested in my dolls, one has his own doll family that is about three times larger than my own (no, seriously) and the other one, who does not have any dolls of her own yet, has only ever been positive and supportive about my hobby and isn't the jealous type to begin with.

Thinking about it, I used to talk to a girl I knew from school about my dolls once in a while, even showed her one, because she seemed genuinely interested in them at first, talked about getting one of her own and how she had known about them too for a while, but then started acting a little strange whenever I brought the topic up again. I'm not sure if that was jealousy though or just her being unfriendly.