1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you have a plan for your doll before buying?

Feb 24, 2017

1. You are absolutely right, maybe I'm just over thinking things, there is no way of knowing how things will turn out when he arrives.
      I've just never been so incredibly drawn to a doll as long as I have been collecting.
      Sorry to hear about your Luts boy and best of luck with your new Dollzone boy :)

2. Kinda if i want it i have to think about it for a week and if I still want it I buy it

3. I don't have a hyper-specific plan usually, but I try to at least have an idea of what I want for a specific doll; I simply can't afford to impulse buy, and really do not want to have to deal with the resale process if I can help it. Also, I collect specifically MSDs, who are each loosely fleshed out as a character so they can fit into the vague little story I have for them and I can justify making them interact in photos, lol. So I doubly try to make sure I won't have any repeat styles! They share some clothes, but I'd like to have some variety, such as all black goth vs pinks and florals vs earthy yellows vs rainbow kandi, etc etc.. I feel it makes them stand out from each other too.

Additionally, most MSD clothes are made for minifee which I don't have; they are just plain too small for my dolls lol so clothing them is challenging. I've taken up sewing just to accommodate it (for the better, but its a bit annoying). So, even if I could be impulse buying, I would still have to strategize around what I was going to make for them before I felt comfortable purchasing! :sweat

4. I tend to plan but 9 out of 10 times it changes in some way. I've got one girl coming in that I'm planning on turning into a pastel/kawaii child but we'll see how long that lasts. :XD: What I also end up doing is getting a doll I really want and then during the wait, I make the plans.

5. Not usually, but if I do, that's great! I buy based solely on aesthetic, as I do not have characters my dolls. So plan wise, it's only how I'd paint/mod/dress them and that tends to come to me once they are in hand.

6. I usually have a character idea and some sense of how I'd like them to look before buying. I need a sense of who they will be before I order. They tend to change and evolve once they're home.

#146 Leo Pheonix, Oct 13, 2020
      Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
    7. It started out that way for me! Back in 2006 when I got my first doll, I had his character, story, and wardrobe completely planned out. But by my last resin kid in 2015, I got a feel for his character and story after he arrived. No matter when they came to me, each passing year I look forward to keep getting to know them even more.

8. honestly no. I see a doll and I like the aesthetic, size, price, etc. And and put in on 'the list' or buy it. planning on what kind of character it's going too be comes later. I just get what speaks to me and the character will come:)

9. Yup! And if I don’t, I’ll make one. I always need a plan though, especially before I order.

10. I useally do, yes.
      I only ever had one exception and that was a limited doll I judt fell in love with. I mamaged to come up with the idea while waiting for him to arrive.
      I used to always tell myself I needed a solid, thought out idea first and I haven't done it since.
      There are so many pretty dolls that I think that, should I not have this self imposed rule I would just be swarmed with dolls.

11. I have two dolls being made and their twins! I plan to also buy a Liam from dollsoul. I also plan on getting 2 littlefees or yosd to make six or mono from little nightmares II.

I plan on naming my twins 6&7 and give them a back story along with Liam. I’ll probably even change Liams name to One. I have some crazy back story and bio I have for them.

What about you guys? Got any back story and bio for your dolls?

I also found a retro tv for my iPhone I can use for mono and six! I’m so excited !

12. That sounds like a really interesting story for your dolls! I would love to hear more about them as you develop it further!

With my dolls in the beginning when I get them all I give them is their names.
      Then when I have had them for a bit and bonded with them, I get to know what emotions/energy I get from them which helps me create their personalities.
      I haven't yet had a story idea that has stuck around so they don't really have backstories for now.

13. Awe thank you!
      So far my two dolls I have being made are twins. I decided to name them Roku (6) & Shichi (7). Was going to name Liam Ichi (1). I wanted something kind of like little nightmares and “The promise neverland” kind of theme. Where children are used as fodder or experimented on. And these 3 sort of escape and try to survive. I have other dolls I plan on incorporating into the story but one doll at a time :)

14. I do!

All of my dolls are my OC’s that I roleplay with or have. A few are my WoW characters. My general rule is I don’t get a doll unless I have a character. It keeps me from impulse buying for the most part.

15. I think a lot of us do! Most of mine are named for Tolkien characters so they take on those backstories and bios. But I haven't typed any of them up. I should really sit down and upload a profile for them here but I am lazy hahaha!

16. oh that’s a really good idea! I don’t want to impulse buy but with my story I need at least 10 so haha

I want to do that soooo badly ! I should do it tonight!

#156 AidenEsparza, Feb 28, 2021
      Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2021
    17. This is exactly me with my dolls (except DnD instead of WoW.) And it doesn't stop me from impulse buying still. :doh
      Sometimes it works out that I'm able to make a new character from an impulse purchase and have it fit onto my roleplay world. Sometimes. :abambi:

18. I honestly have a hard time giving them backstories and bios. But I do color them with personalities from time to time. And they do inspire me to make up stories and such.

19. All but my tinies have oc's and backstories. I constantly grow their stories too. Either evolving them as I go, or sometimes rewriting them completely. Four of my oldest OC's ended up getting rewritten because the sculpts I wanted for them were discontinued and I decided to down size them from sd to msd. I even decided that one of them wouldn't be a doll and left him as more of a ghost. I have one of the remaining three at home, one I still need to pick a sculpt and save up for and the other I'm waiting for them to be made and shipped. I'm excited for them, I've had them since 2005/06 and having them all or almost all shelled is amazing.

20. All my dolls have backstories and personalities...and in fact I won’t purchase a doll unless I come up with a character for it before hand. It’s a very important part of my collecting...it’s all about the stories I can create for them. However I don’t write anything down other than the short character bio I put into their profile here on DoA. Their stories are mostly just committed to memory, living in my imagination, much as how a child does it.:) This allows the story to remain fluid and evolving as they proceed through their “dolly lives”, interacting within my fairly large crew of resin characters.