1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you have a plan for your doll before buying?

Feb 24, 2017

1. I typically do play the "character game" with my crew, at least to some extent... The degree of detail varies a lot between individual dolls, though. Some of my gang are the resin avatars of tabletop RPG characters or roleplayed MMO toons that have years, or even decades, of history behind them. Others are little more than a name and a vague collection of ideas.

2. For some I do, for some I don’t. I only have one doll currently, and I did have a plan for her but it didn’t end up working out. Now she looks completely different than I anticipated! I have some dolls on my wishlist that I have set ideas for, and some I chose just because of aesthetics. I’ll probably develop a general plan for all of them, but I’m also okay with changing it up.

3. I usually have a general idea of what sort of character or style I'd like them to have beforehand, but a lot of the time they end up being something else entirely.

4. It's really 50/50, actually.
      By one hand, the biggest reason I would get a doll is because the face and body posability. However, I always try to have some projects in mind(a character, for photos...) before I buy.

5. For me it depends some evolve over time, for others I have a rough idea of how I want them to look from the start.

6. To me my dolls are pretty art pieces, not characters (though I prefer blanks to customize myself). So first I fall in love with the beauty of the sculpt, and when I’ve decided to get it, I plan out smaller details of how I’d like them to look.

7. I generally create characters or ideas/themes after seeing a doll I really like. Sometimes, after expanding the story or world that a character or group of characters live in, I'll come up with new characters for that story that aren't inspired by any dolls, and then in the mist of collecting will see a doll that I think can work for that character. But, that approach is a lot more rare for me.

8. I never have an idea for a doll until I get a hold of it. Outside of my CP Moon, I have only bought heads second hand because they were a good price. Once they arrive, then I start crafting ideas and characters around the doll. I let the heads "talk" to me and flesh themselves out.