1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you have any damage on your dolls?

Sep 3, 2017

1. Oh Lots! Most of them I've repaired but some dolls have small nicks and scrapes here and there near the joints from being handled and taken outdoors and so on. Generally it's an easy fix for me, but I have a large collection so until each doll gets a spa day I often have to leave them with a nick or two, which I fix once I have them in pieces. It's just part of how my collection works.

2. My doll has been to several conventions, outdoor photoshoots in the woods and on a cliffside, traveled with me on planes and in cars, and never got any damage... until she fell over on my kitchen table and broke three fingers. :(

3. Quite a painful post to share... my doll got a chipped off face-up on the nose from a fell, luckily it wasn't that noticeable so I decided not to send for face-up maintenance because $$$. All of my dolls' bodies so far are blushed so after playing them for a while, we have chipped off paints everywhere :(((( But I don't really mind since I can just remove the blushing whenever I want, but currently too lazy to do so.

4. I do, on some, not on others. Most of it is just tiny scratches, no major breakage. Stuff you won't even see unless you're specifically looking for it.

The first time any of my dolls got damaged, I had a meltdown. I was doing a photostory, and my second doll fell while I was posing my first and chipped his nose. I sat in the floor and hugged him and cried. A couple months later, my first doll fell ON CARPET and scratched his eyebrow deeply. I still haven't figured out how on earth that happened. I just wrote that into his character. Now, after 9 years in the hobby, I've just come to accept it. More often than not, it's so small, I can easily fix it, either by buffing it out or modding it, whatever it may be. I can't stand broken hands, but luckily, they can usually be purchased separately and replaced.

5. No, my dolls do not have any damage besides for fantasy parts blushing that is chipping in normal areas around joints and an ear tip that was broken in shipping (faceup was also slightly damaged) but I received a replacement from the company for the latter. I'm very gentle with all of my things, and my BJDs are no different. I would feel sick if something were to end up broken!

6. so far my dolls have a little scratch or damaged face-up (a bit)
      never have the major damage so far ^_^

7. I think what constitutes damage will be different depending on who you ask. For some, yellowing and a faded faceup count, for others it means their doll is literally cracked apart somewhere.

Gladys has a broken piece inside her jointed foot (it broke the very first time I tried them out! She came strung ridiculously tight, that bit of resin had no chance.) Uriah has a very faint chip in his faceup that can only be seen supersuper close and in the right lighting. He also has a scratch in the gloss on his lip from when I let someone irresponsible hold him at a meetup and she banged his hands against his face repeatedly while sloppily posing him around like he was a kid's toy. Who freaking does that? :evil: I think a few people at that meetup had heart attacks on my behalf.

... Oddly enough, I don't think either of my less expensive dolls have any damages, aside from the very faint surface scratches that tend to appear from age and wear. Figures!

8. Hmmmm my dolls don't have any heart-stopping damage that needed major surgery, and hopefully I get to keep it that way.

My first doll, being the first and thus the receiving end of my noob antics, does have tiny chips and scratches that are unnoticeable unless I pointed them out. My second doll is far more pristine -- I think the only damage he has is inside the head, where the S hook had nicked out a tiny bit of resin due to pressure.

9. My FL Chic Line Rou has a dent on his neck from the S hook. I bought him secondhand and knew of the damage. I think it gives him character, almost like a birthmark. I know he's special, lol.

#29 kurogane, Sep 4, 2017
      Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
    10. My dolls don't have any damage from taking them out and about, and I ride public transpo everywhere. They've also been on planes, inspected by security - and no damage. I never leave/put my dolls in situations where "accidents" can happen though.

11. A few of my dolls have minor scrapes and scratches, but most are still in very good shape. Even the ones that are 10+ years old have little more than wear on their faceups. I have one girl that has a crack about a centimeter long on her butt, right above leg. She was second hand and I received her that way though.

12. Oh my XD I do my best to keep them in good shape, but a couple of them have had accidents over the years. I have a Ducan that took a faceplant on a cement harbor stone -.- Luckily there was a skilled modder who was able to fix and reshape it. But I've also had dolls come with joint cracks from being strung too tight, cats that have eaten wool wigs (and chewed on hands... which is why my dolls all live outside of the cat's reach now XD). Unexpected things happen. It's good to know how to repair light damages, I think XD

13. Some of my dolls have subtle damage, like dents from when I removed their hands and placed the S hooks over their wrists. Another has a gouge from a sewing pin I've decided is an in-character scar.

The worst is from my first faceup attempt. I left the head to soak in a laundry scoop of nail polish remover. When I used a toothpick to remove paint residue from between her lips, tiny chunks of resin came off. The color of the scoop also came off in the liquid to stain the head. :sigh

Fortunately, the lip damage is only noticeable if you really look for it, and the staining's only visible when she's out of her wig.

14. Im pretty rough with my dolls. I love outdoor photo shoots. I put them in the ocean, take them hiking on trails, and I have never had any damage. My faceups to tend to wear down pretty quickly but that is more due to how often I handle them. That is why I learned to do my own faceups, so its really not a problem.

15. My very first outdoor photoshoot, I was so careless I left my doll in an unstable position and he keeled over, faceplanting on the concrete. His beautiful (seriously, I cried) faceup is chipped right down to the resin. Aside from that he's an older doll so he's yellowing very unevenly but noticeably. I'll never part with him so the yellowing I don't mind, but the chipping I'm mad at myself for being careless.

16. For years, the only damage any of my dolls had was my first doll who has a little imprint on his hand from where my cat decided to bite him. They never got broken or damaged from me taking them out for photoshoots. A couple years ago though I got into modding and now most of my dolls have been intentionally carved, sanded, or sculpted in some way :sweat

17. All of my girls have a blemish or three on their faceups and/or blushing from general wear-and-tear. Foxglove (Soom Amber) has a crack down the back of her head that's been sealed with epoxy; she came to me this way and it's never been an issue. I've had to glue in a lot of magnets before, and the older ladies have worn-in joint sockets, never mind the resin aging.

Basically: I don't buy my dolls to sit pretty in a glass case. That said, I've always been commended on their condition despite this?

18. Once dropped my minifee on accident when I was opening a drawer and didn't notice her feet were caught on the drawer and as I opened she fell face first onto the floor. Her faceup was slightly damaged around her nose but other than that nothing else was damaged.

19. I'm just like you when it comes to my dolls. I try my best to avoid any damage. I'm not so worried about their face-up as I am about their resin. A face-up can easily be painted over. However, scratches require more work!

I did some modding mistakes with my first doll that I'm still bothered by today. I sort of count it as damage. I tried to make his sixpack less muscular. But, it ended up looking weird :sweat I also glued a fake diamond into his bellybutton using nail glue, thinking he'd look cute. He ended up with a bellybutton full of glue that wouldn't come out. And I sat him down on rough surfaced stone stairs outside. He was wearing short shorts, so the back of his legs got terribly scratched up. I tried to repair the damage with some sanding. It turned out OK luckily. His ankles chipped while restringing him. So that also had to be fixed!

I was inexperienced with my first doll and too bold! So I did a lot of mistakes with him. But from these mistakes I learned to be more careful and leave modding to an experienced person :lol:

20. If you're worried about damage, be cautious where you put your doll if you do photoshoots outside!

I have seen pictures of dolls climbing trees though. And I have seen pictures of dolls sitting on rocks or bathing in lakes. I guess some people don't worry as much as we do about a little damage. (Not that there is anything wrong with that of course.) I remember I was at a doll meet. And I re-strung my doll. His ankle chipped and I freaked out! But the person next to me said, " oh, that happens sometimes. It's no big deal!" All I could think about was my baby had gotten hurt :shudder

#40 manabusama, Sep 22, 2017
      Last edited: Sep 22, 2017