1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you have any damage on your dolls?

Sep 3, 2017

1. My first doll has some chips in the neck where the s hook sits. When I first started the hobby I wasn't very careful unfortunately when taking her head off. :doh

2. I am careful and take really good care of my dolls. Most of my dolls don't have any damage but due to the nature of this hobby, sometimes no matter how careful you are, there will be some damage. Funnily enough, the ones more loved will probably have more damage hahaha...

First my DDs. I love them but due to the porous nature of vinyl, they both have minor stains. I have just let them sit on the couch and boom! Butt stain!!! It's so frustrating but I know it's treatable.

My one off kohya came to me strange. her right hand connects weirdly to the body. I don't know how to describe it but it's loose on the ball joint on the hand. There is a chip on the ball joint of the right hand due to this, though I am not sure if she came to me this way or it was my fault.

I think chips on body can be inevitable no matter how careful you are. There is a lot of tension and friction on the body, and the metal hooks are sharp.

3. I try to be careful. I keep them out of light and handle with care. But sometimes they seem to have a mind of their own. I've had two dolls bend a straight leg on their own and heard a crunch. They had chipped their knees. I was doing a photo shoot and a head went flying off in the air once too. It ended up with just a small shine on the nose. And I just let a new girl try on my siggy girls neck ruffle and clown hat and found that the neck ruffle may have rubbed some black fabric dye onto her shoulders and neck. It looks like shadowing and I am pretty sure the body didn't have it before. All in all I figure I have been lucky. I think it is important to enjoy these dolls and a certain amount of risk is just going to be there no matter how careful you are. I was pretty upset when that head went flying though.

4. I've been pretty fortunate so far; I dinged Johnny's faceup while trying to dig some of his girlfriend's clothes out of storage, but that's it. When I crouched I somehow snagged Johnny's shoelace, and blooey, he came crashing down on my head. He's missing part of an eyebrow now, a fixable problem.

My other boy Alistair has some damage (two broken and well-repaired fingers), but he was secondhand and thus came that way. I cover his "battle scars" with rings.

5. Nope!! My boy is damage free!

6. minor scratches i guess. have dropped my doll before, but only noticeable thing is the face up sealant chipped.
      i'm not overly protective to my doll, but i wouldn't want them to fall over... however things happen (strong wind blowing doll away during photo shooting and stuff like that)

7. yes... today... a scratch between her noise and eye.... :-[

8. My first doll is probably the most nicked up. He's got scratches here and there on his body from tumbles and like metal fasteners on his clothes digging into the resin and he doesn't have a magnetic headcap so the resin loop that his s-hook needs to catch is super scratched up from when I can't quite get the hook through it.

My other dolls are more pristine, but I often manage to nick the area around the top of their neck because I like tight stringing and sometimes the s-hook slams down on the neck when my hand slips. >_> I greatly enjoy Dollshe's design to have a metal ring around the neck hole!!!

9. Some of my dolls came to me with damage secondhand, the worst of which being broken fingers.

The worst damage I've done to my dolls myself was when my kid delf cherry got a stress fracture on his arm from the elastic being too tight. Although that was how he came strung from the company, it was over a year later before the tension got to him.

Several of my dolls have gotten minor knicks or scratches over time but mostly it happens at home and not during a shoot. I once had a doll lose a leg in a small creek during a shoot but I did fish it back out and everything was fine :sweat Actually, that was the same doll that got the stress fracture. He's a problem child, heh.

10. Maaaany years ago, one of my MSDs did a literal flip off the kitchen counter and landed on the hard tile flooring. But since he'd fallen forward but done a flip, he ended up landing on his back, so there wasn't a scratch on him. But holy crap did that terrify me watching it happen.

The most damage that I've ever done to any of my dolls involved staining. One of my other MSD girls ended up with dark stains around her head from her black wig... You can't see it as long as she's wearing a wig, but, eh... yeah, watch out for those wigs that can actually stain the resin.

I did end up damaging a doll when doing a face-up once a very long time ago. This was years ago before I understood that Windsor & Newton is the best thing to use to remove a doll face-up (seriously, that stuff is miraculous). Before then, I was using acetone and an magic eraser... But the doll whose face-up I was wiping off was made of really soft resin, and I actually ended up sanding out the crease in his eye with the magic eraser.... I was so mortified. :( Learned a very valuable lesson. Some resin is pretty soft, and also, magic erasers are slightly abrasive.

11. I have one that has a broken ear - I bought him that way. And one with a scratch on his face because he fell off a table.

Other than that, I have some paint that doesn't want to be removed, some staining from badly applied pastels, using pink nail polish remover to 'soak' at some recalcitrant paint (the paint came off but the doll was permanently stained pink) and the usual stains from wigs and jeans.

12. No but I once thought I did cause damage when the box fell with my BJD as I was trying to get them out out nothing happened but still it was a big scare.

13. My favourite doll's face has some scratches. It was my fault and i was criyng after i saw what have i done. I was not enough careful with the clean, I used a brand-new sponge and i didn't washed it before i used it to clean my doll's face. ;(
      I think maybe iron powder were inside the new sponge or something hard little motes. :( I boiled his face in hot water 10 minutes and the scratches got smaller. Fortunately the damage is mostly invisible with faceup. He is my favourite. <3 Maybe i will order a plus head for him as spare.

14. Ahh. Recently I was taking some photos of my Ellana outside near some brick, and a small breeze pushed her forward... she almost landed on her face. I caught her right on time, but needless to say, I grabbed her and marched right back inside. Lol.

15. Just a small scratch on one of my girls forehead from not being too careful :pout:

16. My favorite boy has a peg in his headcap that broke, glued it back in place but it's still not secure ^^; It does not really affect it, since his magnet is so strong and at least I can identify him from his twin who has the same head :'D

17. My boy Kit is stained from a faceup mishap. It can be mostly covered with a faceup but I know it's there and I'm responsible.

18. Just be down for mishaps sometimes. I'd almost say I'd rather have a damaged doll to the point she's still together than an unplayed doll still in the box. All my dolls have little perks to them, Or are stained to the point it's appreciated. One doll has a full back tattoo. Just be careful with your dolls. I had an unnamed airlines damage a doll in checked baggage so.... but it was sorta my fault as I had her all bunched up and no extra padding in the suitcase, so I learned what not to do.

19. Oh man yes! I have a feeple65 that has broken cracked knees and her left arm socket is cracked and a chunk is missing. I got her third hand.
      Also I accidentlu just touched her wet sealant on her cheek/ear and removed partial blush. I’m not gonna sweat it

20. I damaged my first doll within 20 minutes of getting him. Luckily, it was only the little lip that helps hold his faceplate on that broke. I had bumped the chair that I had left him standing on and he fell. I couldn't even turn around to look for a few minutes. I was so relieved when I saw the damage wasn't that bad. I use a silicon head cap now to help keep his faceplate on.

I'm more careful now about leaving them to stand by themselves, and where I leave them to stand while leaning against things. There hasn't been any more resin damage of my doing, at least not by mistake. ;) I have done a few modifications, and once I scratched a face-up (not a big deal since I do my own face ups -- I just need to wait until summer to redo it, so I'm not even sure that counts as damaged).

And there was that one time a second-hand doll body arrived to me with a broken finger. A little glue fixed him up, and now it's hard to tell it was ever broken to begin with.