1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you have any damage on your dolls?

Sep 3, 2017

1. I left my doll standing on a table once and when I got up, she fell face first onto the table... It was horrific. Luckily, there was only minor damage on the tip of her nose which I was able to recover with a magic eraser.

2. Oh yes ! I broke a couple of fingers and once one ear (a soom Amber who already had two fingers broken : she fall from a table)... I damaged some face-ups too but as I make them myself it's not a big deal.

3. Fortunately, no :3nodding: But I've been extremely careful while handling them and my DD is always wearing her bodysuit to protect her from stains.
      I'm mostly afraid of damaging the heads since the other body parts can always be exchanged for a decent price. In the next two months I should receive one of my heads from his first custom face up - I'm gonna be extra careful not to damage his beautiful face!

4. I'm pretty careful with my crew, so they're generally in excellent shape... But there are a few exceptions-

I've managed to break off a finger twice in the last thirteen years. (One on Sjhan, due to a posing issue with a snowy hillside and a staff he was holding in JUST the wrong way, and another on Galen that's more mysterious. I blame a rogue jacket sleeve, but the exact circumstances of that one are still kind-of a WTF?!-thing. o_0 ) I ended up getting new hands in those cases rather than trying to repair the breaks.

Otherwise, Tien Jen has a small dent in one wrist (from an early run-in with my restringing tool). Chanter's bod has a chip on the back of his upper torso piece (That happened when the body was in transit to me, but wasn't really serious enough to demand a new part from company). Peregrine (my less-than-gently-handled-by-his-former-owner Sakaki) has a number of scratches and dings, and some rough spots around the edges of his headcap. He obviously had an active and adventurous life before he came to me. Camilla's face-up has lost a little blushing on one cheek. (I suspect that happened while she was stashed in the Head Box waiting for her bod. It looks like a rub from the foam around the inside of the face protector)... And Muninn, my Bliss, (who was purchased heavily-damaged, specifically as a "project doll"-) still has some signs of his original condition. You can tell he has a filled and sanded gouge in his forehead if you look under his wig, for instance, and even after extensive sanding, his yellowing remains a bit uneven and there are *still* a few light stains from the red and black tattoo that his first owner gave him (It was painted on bare, unsealed resin. I was actually surprised how much of it I *did* manage to get off. <_<)

5. I've had most of my dolls for 8-13 years and, aside from some minor wig stains and wonky eyelashes, none of them have been been damaged. I think I've been very lucky.

6. Haven't had any damage yet fortunately..although there is a very minor wig stain from the previous owner. I too am really protective over my doll xD

7. Depends what you regard as damage.

Many of my dolls have signs of wear - I play with them because I regard them as playthings not ornaments that sit on a shelf and are never picked up or redressed. As the saying goes, "Mint-in-box is a waste of resin".

I re-dress them, change their wigs, pose them for pictures (or not for pictures, more often, I'm not a photographer unless i push myself to bother with pictures), I take them places, conventions, reenactment events, to visit friend s and on other truips, bring them to work with me and I'm not precious about them. I don't swathe them in bubblewrap or cushions, I put them in my regular bag (if they'll fit), wrap a bit of cloth around the head to prevent the faceup from getting rubbed, but that's about it.

Unless you don't do anything but leave them on a shelf or in their box, wear is inevitable, even if you do handle them with kid-gloves and wrap them for transportation. It will take longer to show up, but it will happen, just like yellowing will.

And accidents happen. Dolls can be accidentally dropped, just as anything else can. Shelves can collapse, people can stumble into things, knock things over etc.

Teddy

8. Luckily I haven't had any damage yet...but one of my boys likes to fall down all the time. I think he's the only one of my dolls that is bound to chip something at some point with how much he likes to fall off of everything. Hopefully I'm wrong. :sweat

9. Cosmetic damage to faceups? It's a regular occurrence in my collection. I think it's because I live in a hot, dry climate-- maybe sealant just doesn't last, because it chips off eventually whereas my friends in other climates have had the same faces with no damage or chipping for years.

However, damage to the doll itself is extremely rare in my care. Resin is made of some extremely tough stuff! The only damages a doll has accrued in my care:
      - A chipped elbow on a DC Ada. I don't know what happened, but as I was taking photos to sell her, I noticed the chipped peanut. :(
      - A chipped chest piece on a Resinsoul Ming. Right between his pecs where a pointed piece on his torso meets, he snapped and it chipped. I absolutely will not buy a doll who has a chest piece that meets at a point, now.

I've received dolls with damages in the past-- a new Resinsoul Song who arrived with a badly chipped-out ankle, a new Impldoll ZIV who arrived with a grinding line around his neck and a rusty S-Hook, a secondhand Dollzone Zo with dented ankles (easy fix), and a secondhand Volks SD Mark with a completely broken knee piece (I knew about this damage, though)...it's been an adventure handling dollies with oopses going on. Good learning experience, at least!

(I'll probably cry if anyone's fingers break off, pff)

10. After I got my first doll I wanted to do his faceup myself. I did educate myself beforehand, but not enough I guess. I ended up using a pretty much permanent sealant, which at first wasn't all too bad until I wanted to remove it. No matter how hard I scrubbed there was still patches of it left. So I, smart as I am, decided to put cotton wool soaked in acetone free nailpolish on his face, wrap it in plastic foil and leave it on for hours. The problem with this whole procedure was that the nailpolish actually had a "slight" green tint to it so I ended up staining his head horribly on all the parts where I had already managed to get the sealant off. He still has that same badly stained head, I just painted over the stains with black acrylic paint and gave him some warpaint. I do hope to get him a replacement head sooner or later. He is a Luts event gift head so I wasn't too worried about the money I lost but I felt sooo guilty.

11. I just spent the evening gluing fingers back on. lol
      Both my Dream of Doll Luke and Impldoll Alma had accidents that resulted in fingers being broken. Sadly because I'm lazy I only recently got off my butt to fix them. The last time I accidentally broke a doll was back on 2009 so I guess my good luck was bound to run out eventually.

12. Fingers! ! Especially after I moved in long distance. That was a disaster of broken fingers. :doh

13. One of my girls (an April Story Clover) came with the company faceup and a few days after receiving her I picked her up one day and she had a chip in her faceup, just above the eye. I have no idea how she got it because I hadn't even got round to dressing her yet. It's a real shame because she is really beautiful and I don't know how I can fix it without wiping her whole faceup off.
      Apart from that I haven't had any damages to my dolls though, luckily.

14. I always try to protect my dolls but for example one of my MSD, in his cushion, broke two fingers. So sometimes it's imposible to keep them safe and sound all the time.

And one of my yosd, with a new face up, suddenly he has a chip in an eyebrow :( and I don't know why :pout::...(:(

15. I have a few that ended up with cosmetic damage to face ups and they need to be redone. I've been lucky over the years and there hasn't been serious damage, never broken a finger either *knock on wood*. My first doll did get a big crack in the back of his head a few months after I got him but that was repaired and has held strong ever since and now the neck piece on one of my minifees is sporting two big cracks but that happened due to age and stringing that was a tad too tight.

Other than those two issues all my dolls have stayed in good shape through the years.

16. Although I do tend to be as careful as possible (and really panic if they have any kind of mishap), I've had a few dents, bruises, and breaks amongst my resin crew.

Starting off with the ones caused by external sources or situations, my Loongsoul Pharaur had a chip broken off of the back of his head (near the neck hole) when he arrived. I hadn't thought to ask about replacements, repairs or take photos of the box opening at the time, and ended up sanding it to round it out to look less pronounced. The XM Doll girl body I have Tauli on has chips on her ankles from her being strung fairly tight by the company. I also had the previous sculpt Tahmos used to have take a startling tumble off where I had him situated one night just as I was falling asleep, and dent his ear tip in the process. It left a mark, but I was able to remove the dent for the most part with heat application.

There's the usual expected yellowing, and the usual wear from being posed (and a few minor nicks from those darned S hooks). The only major damages I personally have caused are a broken finger on Nira (which I ordered a replacement set of hands for), and some damage to my first head from soaking it in some cleaner a little longer than I was supposed to. I was used to working with PVC plastic for faceups at the time, and was fairly new to working with resin.

I've done some major modding on a few of them (epoxy elf ears/additions, facial reconstructions), but I don't really consider that damage.:XD:

17. I buy mainly secondhand and I buy mainly older dolls, so I've had many arrive already damaged. The only time this has bothered me was when I had a doll whose upper torso had a massive crack and the seller had not disclosed the damage beforehand. (Huge shoutout to ravendolls on this forum for an almost invisible repair that has held beautifully over the years!)

18. I stupidly took my DC Ada to a friend's house because that doll was a style she liked (she's not a bjd person but she thinks they're neat) and her 10 year old some just grabs it up and starts playing with it jerking it around like any kid would with a much sturdier action figure. He ended up damaging an arm at the joint. Made me quite mad, but there's really nothing I could do since I knew how her kids have no manners of any kind...
      Then I have a Doll Zone 1/4 body I bought to replace a body I wasn't fond of. When the body came in it had a small crack in the resin at one of the ankles. Never occurred to me to bring it up with where I bought it until it was much later. I've never had an issue because of it though. Other than that, a few of my dolls have had many spills due to poor posing, unstable/uneven footing, poorly strung dolls trying to assassinate other dolls, etc. but no real irreparable damage has been caused to any of them (except that poor Ada who now has to live with super glue on her elbow...)

19. My dolls never have,but some of their clothes have.

20. So far I just have some stains on my Dollfie Dreams but hopefully nothing more *knocks on wood*