1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you have "uncommon" or "obscure" dolls?

Jul 27, 2018

1. @maddison3m

Its her smile I fell in love with. and her big eyes. Just everything about her face is what I fell in love with. And yes. Its is frustrating not being able to see any pics of her other than that company. I have taken so many of her already hopefully anyone else looking wont have the same issue.

2. I collect mature tinies, so most of my dolls are uncommon. I've got a couple no one else seems to have. I have a DIM Honey Alana from my first year in the hobby, and I think I have only seen one other owner picture of her. And Dika Doll Tea is another one I've only encountered one other owner picture of.

3. I love the mature tinies, so I'm glad im not alone on this. Love these sculpts!

4. I have a lot of dolls from very popular companies (Doll Chateau & Dollzone), but some of them are a little more obscure.

For example, I've NEVER seen another Miracle Doll Zixin owner. I can understand why, since his face is quite uncanny and hard to work with but I love him to death for that very reason.

I'd say also Dream Valley, but I'm sure it will get its time in the spotlight before too long. It's brand new, and already a lot of people seem interested. Not to mention, I don't actually have Vine in my hands yet so I can't really talk about owning him. :lol:

5. I haven't seen much around from Illusion Spirit at all. I have a Lanxing, who I just barely got, because I hadn't quite registered they were discontinuing him until about two days before the last chance to order him (thank the heavens for layaway); I haven't seen anyone else with him at all.

I've definitely got some popular ones in my collection, but there's a few that are a lot less common, too. I haven't seen anyone else yet with a Magic Time Levan (with his equal parts cool and irritating detachable ears), and I don't see much of Aileen Doll Becky, either. I have a bunch of LittleFees (they're like expensive potato chips!), but I only know of a handful of Pukishas out there, including mine. And I have a couple of custom DiM MNMs that would stand out if I ever saw them around outside my own cabinets, an Edward Elric (which I do not and never will have on a doll, he's just a display piece for me now), and two "Rubiana" cat heads that were co-designed by myself and another hobbyist (I did the initial design, she refined it before we sent it in), one of which has her body and the other is still waiting for one.

6. Agreed. And if you only own older dolls, they are uncommon now, because nobody remembers them, no matter how popular they once were. My Elfdoll K-SS gets frequent "what doll is that??" and he was quite common once.

7. X

#27 Spuggey, Jul 28, 2018
      Last edited: Feb 15, 2021
    8. I have a SoulDoll Iliya hybrid, and I don’t think I’ve ever seen others! I found one owner photo by searching via google. That’s all. And he’s so pretty, I’m not sure why no one else thought so!!

9. @vicemage I have a pukipuki Pukisha! The scar-eyed version from the first release. I rarely see them anymore, but to be fair I don't take many pictures of mine either.

As for my more uncommon dolls... My Peakswoods Viyol is one of only a few I've ever seen owner pics of, and I've never seen another in blue-grey.

And my Momocolor Banya - she was one of the last new dolls released before the company changed to Momotree, stopped shipping stuff out, and then closed. I waited so long for her I'd almost written off ever receiving her. I've never seen anyone else with one or heard if anyone else even ordered one!

I also have a few AngelRegion sculpts (a Diana, a sleeping Diana, a head that I'm 95% sure is a Glow in the Dark, and a Halloweird), and while AR was pretty popular back in the day, people seem to have largely forgotten about them. I've never seen another sleeping Diana, although the awake version was one of their most popular sculpts. I got the sleeping Diana and the (probably) Glow in the Dark heads after Soom bought all of Angelregion's molds and then discontinued the Fair/Little Fair lines. I haven't been able to figure out if the sleeping Diana ever got an actual release or if someone at Soom modded a sleeping version for the discontinuation event or what. The Glow in the Dark head was sold during the event as a dreaming Diana, but if you put them side-by-side it's... pretty obviously not that.

10. My Dream of Doll girls fall into this category. DoD used to be a popular doll brand, but fell off the earth around 2012. Bambicrony tinies also used to be in high demand, but I don't know how many would recognize my Kumi today.

On top of this, I have a Volks one-off of a sculpt they don't use very much, Shinku.

11. Yes, I'm finding this to be very true whenever I go to a doll meet! I have mainly older dolls and even the ones who had a strong presence years ago (Serendipity Sharmin, for one) go unrecognized.

There are just so, so many doll companies out there these days that most of them honestly fly under the radar. There's definitely a pool of very well-known sculpts currently, but literally thousands more that exist that have little to no presence.

I would say these are probably my own "least common" sculpts? Maybe?

CustomHouse Shaman Varim
      DollnDoll Shade
      DollShe Moon
      Happydoll Aida
      Latidoll Chaim
      Nobilitydoll Dew
      Notdoll Toadstool
      Souldoll Olivia

12. I don't really have obscure dolls per-se, but I do feel my sculpt choices are ones you rarely see:

Iplehouse SID Stella - popular company, but there's not even a full page in the doll profile of this severely underrated lady.
      Fairyland Feeple65 Chloe - F65 line is completely overshadowed by Minifee and even F60. Good luck finding one between her more popular, smaller scale versions.
      Soom MD Amber - this one makes sense. Very limited doll with the earlier, melancholic MD aesthetic; not easy to acquire, and not for everyone.
      Limhwa Half Elf - can be ordered any time, but you just don't see these Supia comparable dolls anymore.

13. I haven't seen much of the scar-eyed Puki Pukisha! I have seen a good number of the regular ones around, though (and also have one of those), but it's the LittleFee Pukisha that I see a lot less of. :) You'd think with how popular the Pukipuki version seemed to be, there'd be more of the bigger kittens around, but I can only think of two others besides mine off the top of my head (and not many Pikis, either, which is another of my LittleFees).

14. I have a few. It seems like most of the bjds I choose are popular, then forgotten.

DZ Tengyuan (yosd) -am I the only DOA member to have one?
      DF -A Xiaodao (yosd) -I’ve never seen anyone else post owner pics or say they have him
      Xagadoll Haze (yosd) -another forgotten sculpt

And then there are these sculpts who I know others have them, or wanted to get them, but the threads have dried up and aren’t popular anymore
      Charmdoll Renard (msd)
      DC Fiona (yosd)

I think my newest girl from Island Doll (No 1) will also be forgotten in a few months. The Island Doll msd thread is completely dried up, a long time ago. I know of at least three people who have ordered her and haven’t gotten theirs yet. Still, that isn’t many!

15. My Anna Queen Laya and Nabarro Boys Har are probably the most uncommon of my dolls just due to being from limited runs by single person studios.

Though I don't think I see Dollits Oscar around much either.

The humans that Pipos makes don't seem common either which is a shame I quite like the sculpting on their majestic line.

Clever Little isn't that common either....

The more I think about it, I think the only common/popular dolls I have are like Iplehouse and Dollzone. I used to see lots of Dollzone Megi. Man that was kind of a long time ago. My Megi is 10 years old now!

16. A few of my dolls are ones I don't really see around anywhere. I have an Islanddoll Noah---not only are owner pics of that sculpt pretty scarce, but mine is the only one I've ever seen hybrided onto a female body instead of the gender-neutral body the sculpt is sold on.
      I also have a Souldoll Robb-- he was a limited, but didn't seem to be a very popular one.
      When I first started the hobby, I saw Elfdolls around quite frequently, and Elfdoll Rita was my first bjd. They stopped selling their dolls within my first year collecting bjd though, and now over time they've become less and less common to see, so now my Rita is probably a more obscure sculpt these days.

17. I have a few that are on the more uncommon side... A trio of FectDoll sculpts (two of their 1/3 girls and one grumpy little 1/4 guy), a pair from Spirit Doll (Ulmus and Olea), a small group of old-school Lati reds, a Granado V-07 and a few hardly-ever-seen Volks FCS sculpts. (My F-43, for instance.) I suspect my DZ/DC Grey/Centaur girl is the only one of her kind here, too, but that's not an usual distinction for *any* hybrid.

Most of my gang are pretty dirt-common, though... Or, at least, they were when they were new. As time goes on, we seem to see less and less about those sculpts posted, but I suspect that just means their owners prefer to post about their newer, more "on trend" resin minions rather than their older ones. So, while you don't see them around all that often, I'd call them more Out-of-Fashion than rare.

18. Omg, an Iliya owner! :D I always thought he was one of Souldoll's prettiest dolls but I could never find any owner pics, and then he got discontinued. =/

As for obscure dolls I own, I feel like I might be the only person on Earth, or at least in the West, who has a Doll Family-H Anye. I could find absolutely zero owner pics before I took the plunge and ordered him, but I'm so glad I did. <3

19. I love him! I hadn't really even planned on buying that sculpt, was just looking to shell a character, and accidentally found him in the marketplace, head only, but he was perfect. He needs a new faceup and maybe new eyes too, but if you want to see him, he has a profile here as Dhani Staylor. :)

20. I think my CustomHouse fairy Lilly. She was a limited sculpt about the time they shut down. I’ve only ever seen one other owner photos other than mine.