1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you have "uncommon" or "obscure" dolls?

Jul 27, 2018

1. Asking me 'Do you have uncommon/obscure dolls?' is like asking a nesting dragon, "Hey, is there any gold down here?!"

Companies that have stopped producing companies quickly fade into marketplace obscurity... if not the popular eye. I own dolls from Unidoll, DBDoll, Elfdoll, Felixdoll, and Sugarable. I also had a Lovelyhouse Elf Shin-cho at one point.

Artist-produced dolls are usually uncommon. Unless you're lucky enough to follow someone like Lillycat or MerryDollRound who produce regular releases of their sculpts year-round, you have to nab it or it's gone. My Batchix, Another Secret, Circus Kane, Nabarro, Nobel Dolls, Youpla Dolls, Demiurge Dolls, Oasisdolls, Phoenix Dolls, Boypink, Dust of Dolls, Sweet Dolls, Les Enfants Terribles, and DD Anne sculpts are all faces you don't see often.

Then there are the sculpts that get discontinued. Usually because they're unpopular or because the molds wear out. I have sculpts from DIM, MiracleDoll, and Iplehouse that were all less popular than their colleagues. And it's a shame. They're beautifully expressive faces. Maybe too expressive for most tastes.

Last but not least, the old limiteds. The one-timers from companies or partners that may not even be together. Old CP-Luts one-offs, Latidoll SDs, Withdoll MSDs, NobelDoll and DIM Mini-me sculpts from their personalized sculpting service. Oddball things. I have fantasy parts I've not identified until years later.

The nice thing about obscure work is that it usually doesn't cost an arm and a leg on the marketplace. And you don't always have the hard competition you get with the popular sculpts. Personally though, I wouldn't mind seeing another Latidoll Chaim or Nabarro Yakumo once in a while. A fellow familiar face. It's lonely, feeling like one of the only active owners of these dolls.

I wouldn't mind more photothreads for them. An underappreciated doll is like a pocket dimension of pure awesome.

2. I keep hoping one will pop up for sale someday... I'd love to add him to my little gang of Lati sculpts (Along with the Oracle M and Temple Knight K. I can dream, right? :lol: )... but so far? No such luck. Like SoulDoll's Celestyn, my other perpetually-looking-for-one sculpt, they're just well-nigh impossible to find anymore.

3. I don't see many Angel of Dream dolls around, and the ones that I do see are usually girls. I own a Tao Hua Dao sculpt and I've only seen a few of him around, so I guess one could say my Johnny is an obscure sculpt. Maybe he's not as obscure as I think he is, but as I said above I don't see too many Tao Hua Dao boys around.

I've also browsed Bobobie threads and I don't run into too many of the March sculpt (my Chloe is a March). She seems a bit more prevalent than the Tao Hua Dao sculpt, but she's nowhere near as popular as Isabella and Bei are.

4. I've got a Buddydoll Elisha and an Orientdoll Vampire Tae as probably the most obscure.

Buddydoll was never a hugely popular company and Elisha is kind of a weird sculpt with a really wonky looking neck(It's like 7.something cm so the neck and hole are a LOT smaller than most SD-sized dolls.

Orient Doll had some popularity but mostly for their tinies, though you don't really see them anymore either. The 'MSD' Dae line was never hugely popular and has impossible sizing - Clothing and shoes are basically impossible without custom making and while 8mm eyes were always doable via things like Enchanted Doll, for years and years 5-6 wigs were hard to find and mostly in little girl styles. Thankfully the rise of fashion minis like FID is making it a lot easier to find decent 5-6 wig styles. Hasn't helped clothes or shoes though, lol.

I've got some other dolls that either are no longer made or no longer popular or just never were popular - Volks' Link was never really popular and his default faceups did him 0 favors, and I don't see a lot of Withdolls around, especially not elf Alan. (I may well be the only one who ordered a grey one at that lol.) Angel Elf Soo was never the most popular of the Soos and she's long discontinued, and my Volks SD F-05 is another discontinued mold.

Past unpopulars included an Angel Region Elly and a Souldoll Eckstine. I regret selling my Eckstine. I'll never be able to replace that funny unpopular face lol.

5. I have 2 dolls from Unidoll which I rarely see (Ark and Jace), the company closed too soon and back at that time such realistic mature looking dolls were not so popular within the stylish Anime and androgynous trend.

And my Impldoll Shaco - I think I never saw any owner pictures of this poor underrated guy (except from the first owner from who I adopted mine).

A new one, but still quite unpopular is my Dollzone High Priestress, not many owners liked the rotten mermaid style^^

Also Telesthesia QingNiuSheng - such a handsome guy, but I never saw other owner pictures yet. I have absolutely no idea why this one is not more popular ?_?

Ringdoll Quiz v2 - only saw one other except mine, and this was my friend's one which I had here for faceup commission.

6. I definitely have some obscure dolls! I really love a lot of the smaller companies/artists, like Sarina W and Anna Queen. My Oasisdoll Natalie was discontinued several years ago, and even Oasisdoll's other sculpts aren't super common. I now own two of her, but I've only seen her pop up on the marketplace a few times. I also have a Rosetta Doll Zio; Rosetta Doll made beautiful head sculpts, then just disappeared in 2012. I never thought I'd find one, but I got lucky this year.

Migidoll is a super popular company, but I think only one other person on DOA owns Han. He's so underrated!

ETA: I must have earned some seriously dollie karma this year, because I'm finally getting to bring home an Edelweiss Gideon. It's been a crazy year for spotting dolls I thought I'd never see!

#46 mustbemissa, Jul 30, 2018
      Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
    7. I feel that way about my Dollmore Model Doll Leah Cox. I feel like I'm the only person in the past 8 years or so that has taken photos of one. She was my first resin doll, and she's such an incredible lady. So tall and full of personality. I remember seeing photos on Flickr nearly 10 years ago of someone's lovely Leah doll, and those photos as well as the Dollmore official store photos made me fall in love with Leah. I just had to have Leah in my life. Since then, it's been mostly just me and my Leah on the internet as far as I can tell. I don't mind, though. My Leah is very special to me. I just hope someone can see my photos one day and feels like they want their own special Leah in their life, too.

8. My first 3 dolls are now totally obscure. I've only ever seen one other of any of them. DIM Torudoll Karon, Soom Lupin, and UniDoll Suri.

9. I happen to own a few uncommon and obscure bjds.

The number one that comes to mind is my Neo Angelregion Abel. I've only heard of one other person owning him which is a shame because he has such a cute face that reminds me of the oldschool Volks style. Big eyes, small button nose!

Then there is my Abio Angel Yi, which is more uncommon due to the company being long out of business.

A few others are my InfinitiDoll Noel, SweetGale Cyril, Glorydoll Louis, and my Luts Delf Jace.

10. I don’t yet! But I’ve found myself falling for a few sculpts lately that I just haven’t really seen around much! I’m not sure if that counts as obscure :kitty2

11. So I have everything from two fairyland dolls to multiple ringdolls (some of which I haven’t seen a lot of)

My ‘less common’ dolls, as far as I know, would be my Soom Cass body (who is so cool but has never been rereleased except in one fce), my doll chateau Zenobia, my dollzone gene hybrids (one with the body, one with the head). I don’t know how common Dollstown 18 bodies are, but they’re probably fairly common. You don’t see a lot of ringdoll Eva, and a little more of Frankenstein, both of whom I have, as well as a tan redking fullset, which wasn’t supposed to be available (I had to beg). Ringdoll Jack the Ripper was my first, and he’s not the most common. Pre renewal Iplehouse Kamau is also not easy to fine (they changed his nose at some point after notarcana circus, and I wanted his original nose.) I have a twigling gamine head coming in, which you don’t see all the time. I have a withdoll Adriana, who I don’t think is terribly uncommon, but my purple Angell Studio bing yi is completely one of a kind. I also haven’t seen a lot of red impldoll Hannah. Is Iplehouse Yui uncommon? Are grey dollshe Amanda’s, cause I know dollshe Amanda is fairly common. Tan dollshe Bernard’s are difficult to find pics of, and I have one in honey caramel brown, if I can ever get his head to ship in.

As for uncommon dolls I have planned: a Dollmore Kara Klum (who I think is midrange in popularity) and a Hayarn, who is less common, a Fect doll Jiniannang, who I’ve seen one of on this site, a telesthesia upsilon, again that I’ve seen once, and a ringdoll Crystal/Carmilla both of whom will be hybrids. And an ingenue or a pieta, the ingenue being in an le25 resin colour

All in all, I think most of my sculpts (Zaoll Luv, three FL dolls/heads) are decently common, but some of my hybrids are really weirdly specific (Zaoll/doll chateau y-06, feeple roke/Soom Cass, Soom gluino MV/dz gene)

12. My one "big" doll, a Volks SDM Mako (as seen in my avatar) seems to be in a strange position. In that she seems to be pretty popular/common when it comes to Japanese owners (Judging from all the pics on Japanese Twitter in her tag) but she's relatively obscure/unpopular when it comes to the Western side of things. I've seen very few Western owner photos of her on Instagram/Twitter/Flickr compared to Japanese owners, so I'm not sure if she counts, maybe only half? I'm actually kind of surprised at her relative unpopularity on the Western side of things considering she's both a. A Volks and b. Their current MSD standard model so she's relatively easy to get compared to most other Volks dolls? Maybe its because for the Western MSD crowd in general slim minis like FL Minifees are what's all the rage now and thus being a Volks MSD she's too chunky/big for that crowd? (and would likewise be too small for the SD crowd)

#52 EurAsianGirl, Jul 31, 2018
      Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
    13. I'd have to say my most obscure doll is probably my CP/Luts Delf Dark Elf Soo TANNED skin girl. DES was a fairly popular sculpt but I've only ever seen one or two other owners posting pictures of her tanned version. The weird thing about her is her tanned version was on a type two body with the neck connector, but her ns/ws versions were still type one with the S hook. And Luts never changed it so they could all be on the type two bodies.

14. My Nobility Doll Ryoma is probably rather obscure. I've only seen one owner photo of him. (I don't even photograph my own because I never really cared for him after I got him. :pout: I really should sell the poor thing to a good home.)

15. Obscure as in ‘not popular’ and were dc nearly without a trace:
      AOD Min (tan)
      5stardoll Shasha (tan)

16. My Otherside Dione is a rare mold, I think there is 5 Dione worldwide aside mine.
      I also think there is only a few of Les Enfants Terribles Ryan. Mine is still waiting for his faceup!

17. Not really obscure I guess but I got a Unidoll Ark and Feanor - rarely ever see pics of those boys. I also own a Volks Licht and co-own a Volks Ian. Oh, and another one I've never seen anywhere else, so far, except on the company website (when it still existed) is my Cherishdoll Cynical Baby Cathy. I LOVE that murderous look on her little face. ;)

18. I stepped in here and I regret everything, my wallet is in serious danger.

I didn't really think my taste was obscure just a few moments ago, but after a good think-think, I do commonly fall for the least popular dolls in a company. And they usually come from big companies that have more than just five popular sculpts.

90% of my grails can't even be found on the second hand market, that's how unpopular they usually are.

My most obscure doll right now, is probably my Dream of Doll M.Kaillar. DoD was pretty popular back in the ye olden days, but in recent years not only has owner pictures of their products been on the decline, I can't find anyone really, that owns a Kaillar. And back during his initial release, the owners I discovered could be counted on one hand.

I'm sure mine has got brethren somewhere, but it's like looking for a THREAD in a hay sack. *_*

19. Another we have that wasn’t really popular but was kind of liked when she was released yet not many actually bought her...is Souldoll Zenith Agnetha. I do think quite a few of the Souldoll Zenith girl head sculpts are kind of under-rated though, that’s a bias of mine.

#59 mimimontoya, Aug 3, 2018
      Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
    20. I think that my taste is a bit obscure. My the one and only doll is a very unpopular limited sculpt, but I love him from the bottom of my heart.

[​IMG]