1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you have "uncommon" or "obscure" dolls?

Jul 27, 2018

1. I think you'd like these threads: https://denofangels.com/threads/unpopular-or-underrated-dolls-not-limiteds.278304/
      Rarest/Hardest Dolls to Get?

At any rate, all my dolls, save my Migidoll Ell (and even then, his hybrid body is from the somewhat obscure Beyours), aren't the most popular. My most obscure is my Island Doll Sparkle. There are currently two on the forum, mine included, and I was the only one for a while, without any other owner photos anywhere to look at. I just think that ID's unpopularity in general, combined with their somewhat unflattering faceup in the company photos, might be the problem. One of mine, Dream High Studio Aldou, is a limited from a single person operation, so that explains that, and the last two, La Legende de Temps Red Dove and Lazuli, are also from a single person operation, with Lazuli discontinued to boot. Not unpopular per se, but without the presence of dolls from bigger operations.

2. I just did a quick search and *oof* there are only two of us here for Jeremy:

[​IMG]

Little Monica Little Harmony Jeremy...there is Gilly here and there is some other, somewhere, with a DC spiderbody (So cool!) And that is it. No love for Jeremy? mang!

3. @A Wee Tiefling I used to own a Jeremy! He is too freaking adorable with his wistful smile. I only sold him because mini dolls are not for me. I would kill for him in large size.

Obscure dolls are the focus of my collection. I like to own relatively uncommon sculpts without shelling out the big bucks so I've bought a lot of odd old dolls second hand. Most of my doll family is pretty rare.

4. @AlisonVonderland I'd love to see a Harmony vers. of Jeremy, I want to know how they'd age him up. It's like they started in reverse. His smile is what convinced me to get mine, zero regrets.

5. The thing about most bjds is that even the more popular sculpts aren't that easy to find. There are some basic/in-stock dolls that are easier to find, it's true. but really, there are tons of others that you really don't see often.

Some of the rare sculpts are relatively unknown, one or small editions, from small companies/artists. Others are from more well-known companies. Some are well-known, but still you don't see very often. Even super-popular sculpts, when they are older, you don't see often. So... I'd say MOST bjds are uncommon and obscure!

I've got nearly a hundred bjds and most of them are not uncommon or obscure, but I still rarely see a lot of them in photos, other than my own!!!

6. I think a few of my dolls are uncommon but mostly due to limited releases, but I think the most uncommon dolls are my Les Enfants Terribles Don or Iplehouse Skull Crow.

7. I have a good mix of dolls that were common at the time, uncommon but available, and just plain rare. Sometimes you don't know a doll is going to end up being rare until several years after the fact.

Glorydoll Noel
      Glorydoll version of Phantom's NoEL. Rare during the week Phantom sold him, rare during the millisecond Glorydoll sold him. Found the head on Y!J for $50.

Oceanmoon Hwa-lan
      Wasn't super popular when he released, especially compared to Shou-ryu. He was available for a little bit but it seems OM has gone the way of most other artist casters and disappeared into the ether.

8. Well I can't say that I 'own' any obscure/uncommon sculpts because my newest doll is still being made, but I have just recently ordered a Souldoll Zenith Vasilla...and there are no owner pics ANYWHERE of her! Felt a little nervous ordering her, because I didn't order a face-up, so I couldn't even see what she would look like with a different face-up. I've searched on DoA and there's nothing either. Super excited though to be receiving such an uncommon doll, especially since she's being discontinued after Souldolls summer event.

9. @Skolopendrokot Oh my gosh, I love him though!! I can see why he'd be unpopular with people, but I think he's absolutely adorable! I'm curious to know what brand?

I'm with @BreMingo, I just recently purchased a Doll Chateau Ela ant and DC Carol. I plan on using Carol's beak face for a hybrid, I'm so excited for him >W<

Usually though its all the dolls that are indie/artist made, sometimes the ones that only have one run ever...those are of course the ones I always fall in love with.....

10. Carols are good fun and you really don't see many of them around. The adorable little ants, likewise. Which is sad, because they're just so ridiculously cute.

(My Emi would argue against being called "cute" herself, of course. On the basis that "Fire Ants are FIERCE! Not cute!" :lol: )

On topic... I wonder how many Angel Region dolls are still out there? My Warrick is a little lonely.
      Also... Doll Love sculpts. I never see them mentioned anymore.

11. @Brightfires I love my Doll Love You You, I kinda wish I'd bought more versions of her before they went belly up.

12. I have never bought a BJD from a big company, only from individual artists/very small companies with one sculptor, so far. So all of my dolls so far are pretty rare I guess, either OOAK or just a handful in existence. I wish it wasn’t the case because I love looking at pictures of sculpts I own/like!

#72 aliquotiens, Feb 4, 2021
      Last edited: Feb 5, 2021
    13. Oh you designed her after a fire ant! How cool! I'm hoping to pay mine off in March and I have a rough idea of the character but still no idea yet what kind of faceup/painting I'm going to do. I never even thought about designing them after specific species of ants, thats such a neat idea! All I know is that with her little snaggletooth she probably has a ravenous appatite haha

I was totally flabbergasted that I was able to grab Carol, after seeing no trace of them around and not really hearing of any in the second hand market ('course I don't have marketplace so who knows heh) but I have the philosophy with dolls that "if its meant to be, it will" and I guess it was meant to be ; W ;

14. I can't believe I've never posted in this thread, I have mostly obscure, discontinued, or limited dolls! Here are the most obscure ones:
      Delf Ari
      Delf Ari Wink
      Delf Vampire Dark Elf Soo
      Delf Angel Elf Soo (I don't know that she's obscure but you don't see too many)
      SD F-13 in sunlight (at LA Dolpa none of the Volks employees had ever seen one)
      Luts Tanning Minifee Soo
      Kid Delf Lolly
      Kid Delf Woori as a girl (Woori was more popular when CP sculpted him/her for Luts, but the aesthetic isn't as popular now. Woori is KDF sculpt #2).

Probably my most interesting is my Delf is my Dreaming Soo. There's really only ONE Dreaming Soo, she was a one-off when she was first released. She's a modded Sleeping Soo, and I love her to bits, even if the eye shape isn't quite the same as the unique shape CP did for that one off. There was Dreaming Soo and Dreaming Chiwoo.

MOST obscure is my Volks Coming of Age Day Nono from 2001. She's on a special body just for kimonos that they stopped using a loss time ago. She has the original Nono hands, and the original porcelain doll style face up Volks did at the beginning. She came with her full set kimono and wig having never been opened, in her original wooden box, and her original cardboard box from Dolpa 2 or 4, I can't remember. Amazingly enough, the seller on Y!J only wanted the original $980 for her from 2001. I don't have her out because I want to get a glass case just for her. The only flaw is that she doesn't have shoes or socks, and my SD getas don't fit her chubby feet. She's 20 years old, and not even yellow, since she's never been out of her box!

I just bought a mystery girl off of Mandarake that I'm pretty sure is a CH Junior Ai Spia. There are 0 owner photos of her out there.

I just sold my Napi Doll Chesi head. You don't see too many Napi Doll heads floating around.

15. I have a Doll Love God-Enjoy who's (im)patiently waiting on me to get her faceupped and start showing her off!

I've gotten a couple more uncommon/semi-unique dolls since I last commented here, too... my Luts Pumpkin Head on an Impl Ent Baby body is a fun one, and I don't see a lot of DC Catherines around. I also have an Impl deertaur body with the male chest (and "Moon" head), and I can't recall seeing any that weren't with the female chest off the top of my head right now. I also have the FairyLand "Engraved Halloween" MNF head, which wasn't the most popular choice during that event (most people seemed to go for the non-engraved version instead).

16. I haven't seen Karmanavtica's dolls around a lot. I think her sculpts are amazing! I especially love how she sculpts noses. I have a one head from her l and I adore it.

17. I have a Doll Love May! She was actually a grab bag doll from Mint on Card before they closed.

I think my most obscure would be the artist dolls in my collection. I'm pretty sure there was only one Starwind Dolls Kit released for public sale and she's mine. I do know the artist gifted some to people, but each one is also unique, so there's that. My Mithral Dolls Lyric in mauve skin is also pretty uncommon. I saw a few Lyrics pop up shortly after her preorders were delivered, but then she seems to have fallen off the face of the earth. I do see Little Rebel heads around, but Mini Kamu not as much.

Then there are the discontinued ones... SoulDoll is a well known company, but I never see other Elans around. I don't see Iplehouse Vito or Angell-Studio Cain either.

18. napalm dolls Choma? Haven't seen many of those around.

Also not too common to see are the dc tinies, the event ones like Carol and Juliene and xaveira etc. I love em.

Islanddoll's "monster", the pumpkin headed yosd. I've never seen another one. I adore mine, he's absolutely adorable.

I also seem to be the only person right now with a doll leaves Ben but he only got released a few months ago. He's an interesting sculpt but doesn't seem to be as popular as louis who was released at the same time.

I have a lot of unusual hybrids but those are a little different.

There's still several artist dolls I lust after hahah. One day... one day...

19. I got a Dream Valley Rosa pretty recently, and while the company seems to be pretty popular, I've only seen a couple others of her sculpt. And I was lucky enough to get a second hand Heart Strung Ruse off the Marketplace recently. I think her original release was announced on DoA, but I just searched, and she seems to be the only one on the forum.

#80 Leo Pheonix, Feb 6, 2021
      Last edited: Feb 6, 2021