1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you have "uncommon" or "obscure" dolls?

Jul 27, 2018

1. A lot of the independent artists' dolls seem to be Rare Birds... I don't think I've seen another of Forever Virginia's Briars posted here, although I know there are others among the Instagram crowd.

2. I'm finding it hard to believe there's only 4 Angell Studio Davids in existence, including a blank I found old sale info for that might actually be one of the others, but that's all that popped up while hunting around through the English speaking parts of the hobby, at least. Curious to see if he was more popular in China, but I'm not sure how to go about that. As far as I know there were two fullset releases for him and while he wasn't listed as a limited, his (hidden) page on their site shows him as sold out. They still list the other guy and the non-limited girl from his last release as being available even though the whole set was from 2014. Weird stuff.

Oh hey, I have a Brian head that I'm working on getting a body for, and my roomie has a You You stashed away in her box.

3. I couldn't find another owner with a Dikadoll Minglan anywhere, which was tough because I like to see owner photos before I buy a doll (because we all know company photos don't always match the actual product) so I just bought the head myself. Dikadoll isn't an obscure company, but I guess their Minglan sculpt is.

4. Most of my dolls at the moment are fairly popular, and I think it's nice to be able to see loads of interpretations of the sculpts for faceup inspiration, but having obscure dolls seems cool too because they feel more personal. Two dolls I'd love to own are Unidoll's Ark and Kaito, which are pretty unconventional sculpts that I hardly ever see.

5. Most of mine have at least some kind of presence in photos either on here or in the various social media platforms out there. A few of them are more rarely seen due to being from either independent artists or lesser known companies, however.

The boy in my avatar, Dikadoll Floyer, for example—I've seen maybe one (two at most?) of him around anywhere outside Dika's official site or their dealers. I also haven't seen very many (if any) Impldoll Sallys out there, along with my Dollshe King Corey and Angelsdoll Lucia (both I've seen a few other owner pictures of. In Lucia's case, Angelsdoll in general isn't very well known. For King Corey—he seems to be the lesser seen amongst the Dollshe hoard out there, especially in comparison to all the Hounds, Saints, Bernards and David Kunncis(?) there are out there).

As for the rarer artist dolls, I've seen maybe a couple of Rebeldoll v1 Kai, a couple of the Rosen Garden Lovis, and Dragonshell doll Snake. The one who seems to be pretty rare though is my Lumedoll boy Atik. Lumedoll's MSD line wasn't extremely popular to begin with, and I've maybe seen one other Atik out there in the wild.

6. Here is my most obscure doll. I know for sure there is one other out there somewhere and they may be the only two still in existence for all I know.
      [​IMG]
      This is Rowena, a Unidoll Suri. I got her in 2009, just before Unidoll collapsed and went under. Her resin was a "beauty green" within a couple years so she has been redyed to a peach color.

#86 Rosslyn, Feb 12, 2021
      Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
    7. I think my rarest is probably my Sweet Gale Cyril. I will never be able to properly express how lucky I feel to have him, especially since I found out about him years after his initial pre-order.

Other than that, a lot of my dolls aren't exactly "uncommon" even though they were/are limited. My two Angel Region Rens are probably the exception; there used to be tons of this sculpt around, but now that the company's long defunct, I rarely see any. The dolls I see the least of that I own are Souldoll Nova and Doll in Mind Galahad. I don't think I've ever seen another one of either of these sculpts in the wild.

8. I only have one doll currently, a Doll Leaves Fei. I know Doll Leaves isn’t an obscure company, but I’ve yet to see any owner photos of Fei, or much discussion about her for that matter. That did make me a bit hesitant in the beginning, but I’m glad I got her because she’s so uniquely beautiful in person!

9. I have a Hypermaniac Sirang (2003) on the way / secondhand of course. .... She really caught my eye and when I looked it up it sounds like there were only somewhere between 12-24 of them made.

The only other information I could really dig up is that the older Hypermaniac dolls seemed to be more well liked? It was a little hard to tell. If anyone knows anything more about them, I'd love to hear!

10. I've had a hard time confirming that Immortality of Soul ever even HAD a sculpt called Yuri, let alone find other owners of him out there. :?

11. Congrats! I don't own one myself but I do love the older Hypers. They were definitely very unique and much acclaimed dolls...I remember being obsessed with the beautiful girls @Kallisti has. (I've always wanted a Eujquiv myself.) I don't have much personal information to add, but definitely dig through the archives here!

12. Most of the dolls I own were discontinued after a short while (for some), due to being unpopular, so I guess that makes most of mine uncommon. I don't know how many there are of each, since this is an international hobby and most of my dolls are older than dust. I doubt some of them were made more than a a few dozen times. For example my SouDoll Iso and Chu head sculpts; there were no data bases created for them on here, because there were less than ten owners, at the time those were the rules for creating one. I tend to like head sculpts most people think are ugly (like my Limhwa Limho Mano), but to me they are genuinely beautiful -- eye-of-the-beholder, and all. It's a pain in the gut because finding one in a decent condition second hand is improbable, but I don't mind it otherwise, finding owners with the same dolls has never been of any impact for me (neither negative nor positive). (:

13. @Enzyme Huh! I'm surprised that people might be turned off by the Limwha Limho Mano? I think he's rather delicate and handsome. I may be biased, because I do have a Limwha Half Elf.. and I suppose that seeing a face that has details ever-so-slightly like hers feels kind of nicely familiar.

14. I like Mano... I've always sort-of low-key wanted to add one to my crew, but was never in the right place at the right time to do it.You really don't see many of them around, though. He seems to be one of those "forgotten" sculpts.

15. Also a fan of Mano! I don't think I'll ever find one, but one day I want a limhwa girl. So pretty

16. @Chameleon highly recommend, my half elf's sculpt is really stunning - both face and body. the one little thing about her is that she doesn't sit! I think I may actually be willing to try my hand at modifying her lower body just a bit to fix the issue - it's definitely a sculpting issue over a sueding need. Other than that, she's practically perfect.

17. My current rarest would be my OfButterfliesNThings Paulette. I've seen a couple of Claudettes out there, but I have yet to see another Paulette. It's a shame because she's my favorite girl!

[​IMG]

18. Wow! She's amazing! What an expressive face! :D

19. Thank you! I think all three of their 1/3 girls (Claudette, Paulette and Nicolette) have so much potential, and they also have three 1/4 girls now too: Claudia, Paula and Nicola, who are mini versions of the big girls.

Link for anyone interested: Of Butterflies and Things by OfButterfliesNThings on Etsy

20. Lol! I meant a few people thought my Mano (in particular) was ugly, but I always saw him as beautiful, not just the actual sculpt but my own doll. Although, I do see why others wouldn't think of him that way, about my own Mano that is, I generally like stuff other people don't like or just find plain ugly, like I mentioned in my previous post. Having said that, Limhwa Limho Mano is one of the most unpopular discontinued sculpts I own, that was available for at least a few years after he was originally released. I think most people didn't like the size of the lips on the sculpt, and that he was so obliviously asymmetrical. I read the official dealer of Limhwa back in the day, commenting about people making fun of Jung Ji Youn in public forums, due to how asymmetrical Mano was sculpted. It upset the artist enough, that Mano was later discontinued. He was one of the first male sculpts with larger lips, and not as seemly perfectly as other male sculpts back in the day. He was a bit more realistic than what was out there back then, in terms of flaws. He was probably a bit expensive as well, for not being as polished looking as say Iple House males. I know a few people liked the sculpt when he was available, but I saw a few of them on the market place, and then Mano not selling all that well even when he was massively reduced in price before he was discontinued. He wasn't popular, and he was considered ugly to some, but my particular version of Mano was/is probably the ugliest version of all. Lol! (: