1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you hide your hobby from certain people?

Jun 9, 2014

1. i definitely feel like there are certain people who do not need to know about this hobby, i dont really want to be treated like a weirdo just because i have a different type of hobby to everyone else. ive had enough of that in my life :- /

2. I really don't tell people unless I'm sure they are the kind to not judge. Being a male I tend to get worse reactions.... So I don't avoid telling if it's asked, however I do tend to avoid the subject unless that person is someone I can trust.

3. I learn that if I can only tell certain people that I collect dolls without judgment. However, I also learn that even if they didn't judge me for collecting dolls, they will the moment they find out how much it cost. In their mind, a doll price is around Barbie price range but when they find out that it cost $500+ is when you can see the judgment on their face. "Waste of money" is a very common reason and the "that's creepy".

4. I think theres only a few of my coworkers that I've mentioned it to, and a few of my friends know but again, its not something I bring up because I'm kinda embarrassed. It doesn't help that my mom isn't super supportive...

5. I talk about it to people, more to some than others. I just base it off of how comfortable they are about them or if they'd find it interesting to talk about with me. I don't hide it per say, but I definitely withhold some "pricing" info to my parents who think I'm nuts for spending that kind of money on dolls and figurines. It's a hobby though and if it's something you love you shouldn't let people deter you from pursuing it.
      Along with DoA, I would say also try to find a local Doll group to do meet ups with or talk with here or on channels like FB etc. It is nice to have multiple chat lines and a large group available to talk dolls, share ideas and find help with =)

6. I'm pretty open about my BJD passion in general - my brother even says that lately I've been turning around every conversation to dolls! However, I haven't been sharing my doll photography on Facebook lately because a lot of my friends/family either don't take it seriously or are creeped out by it.

7. Well said, I agree. People are definitely entitled to their opinions as much as you are entitled to have the hobbies you have. Don't be discouraged due to one person's slightly callous remarks. If this is something you feel truly passionate about and enjoy, that's what really matters.

8. I should have hidden it from my mother-in-law, she's extremely critical of whatever I do and when she found out I bought a doll, she said mean things behind my back to my fiance about it. I've shared things about my doll on my facebook for all to see, so I don't feel the need to hide it from anyone, but the one person who it needs to be hidden from is her. It really upsets me how unsupportive she is when it comes to my happiness. It's gotten to the point where I exclude her from seeing any of my posts no matter what the subject is because she judges me regardless. Having a doll just added fuel to her critical fire. -_-

9. My family was weirded out, but I think they kind of expect that from me? Haha. I don't tell my relatives though because they're rather... unkind and may try to say that we're rich (which we aren't lmao saving isn't really a thing for them) and cause trouble. I don't tell churchmates or whatever either because they ask questions about prices and it makes me uncomfortable when they ask in a certain way. People judge easily, which is sad :sorry but those who are my close friends know WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too much about my dolls :sweat I give them an earful :XD: so I can say it's all pretty balanced on my side :whee:

10. People know I like 'weird' things anyways so, no I don't hide them anymore from anybody!
      When I very, very first got my doll I was hesitant to tell some people but that very soon faded when I made clothes for them and wanted to show them off on my fashion fb page (I dont share those on my main fb as I dont want to bombard people with photos of them so I keep it separate just so people that appreciate my hobby are the only ones that will see it).

I do have a friend unfortunately that has to hide his dolls from his parents and I think that such a shame, but thats not my story to tell :)

11. My family was a little confused when I started buying 1/6 scale Azone dolls several years back, but they're used to it by now. I'm not so shy about those, but I feel like I'm going to be much more quiet about mentioning my BJD. I can just see some people reacting with, "You spent over $300 on what?" I think I'm more likely to share it with people my age (college age) than people older than me, at least out of the people I know personally.

12. I think I will hide my hobby to unfamiliar person. I like Lolita and BJDs, but I don't wish a
      stranger comments me. To friends, I will talks everything.

13. I don't hide it, but I don't just freely talk about it to just anyone. Usually, I talk about it with friends of mine that already dabble in creative hobbies, like a couple friends I role play with online; they have been much more understanding and even like seeing the dolls I have and have ordered.

14. I tend to tell people that I collect figurines, but I try not to mention that I've gained a thing for BJD's. Some of the people I told already mentioned that they thought the dolls were creepy (some of them were my close friends too!) and thought it was ridiculous to spend so much money on them. A share of them were supportive, however, including my parents (for the most part). But for future discussion, I'd definitely keep it lowkey. :sweat

15. I don't tell people that I really don't care about. I don't tell my co-workers unless they ask me about my dolls. Only a few of them knows about my hobbies. My family and friends knows about my doll hobby.

16. I don't mind telling anyone. I was reluctant to tell a female friend of mine and my reluctance was justified as she just proceeded to take the rip. I told her it was really unnecessary to do that and she hasn't mentioned it since. I've told male friends and had no negative comments, in fact one is excited to see her when she's had her face-up done.
      Anyone who is really interested in you as a friend and as a person will try to appreciate what you are interested in and anyone who hasn't got the time or inclination, or can only be negative, isn't worth consideration.

17. I told about my BJDs few people. Some looked at me like I had a third eye on my forehead, some where like "yeah, whatever" and others where quite positive. All my life I was rather weirdo for other people so I learnt to don't mind what they say ;). My life, my money, my choice.

18. For sure have to keep it hidden from certain members of my family, they wouldnt understand the appeal and I would never hear the end of it if they knew the cost of the hobby

19. I don't tell everyone I meet about my doll hobby, but my friends and family know about the hobby. I usually tell people I trust, but I don't try to actively hide my hobby either.

20. I don't hide it from anyone. I was pretty embarrassed about it when I first started collecting but now I'm at the point where I've been collecting dolls for so long I just don't care anymore. If people judge me for it, that's their problem and I honestly don't care. It's a harmless hobby and it makes me happy, but I completely understand why some people feel they have to hide it, I am very fortunate that my parents and friends are all pretty chill about this kinda stuff.