1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you hide your hobby from certain people?

Jun 9, 2014

1. under normal circumstances i don't ^-^
      for one thing i'm very lucky and blessed that both my friends and my family not only understand my hobby but a good portion of them own dolls as well ^-^

However..... I do keep it hidden from a few people...but not for the normal reasons. i don't want them to know i'm into the hobby because well.... they are too....aaaaand long story short if they knew i was in the hobby they would want to hang out and do dolly stuff and well considering they were abusive i really really want to keep my distance..... as much distance as posable... so yeah my reason is a bit different then most but yeah.....

2. :hamster: I having showed or told my friends about my dolls. I know them well enough to know that they wont understand the hobby. But Im not afraid of them disrespecting me or my dolls. So Im not concerned about them finding out.

3. My friends think it's weird. But I just say that I like it when they watch me sleep. Then they give me this hilarious WTF face. I think I'll hide it from my extended family though. My dolls are nude (saving money for clothes). The ones who'd come in my room and I know they'd tell their mom and then some annoying conversation would follow.

4. I believe that you should never be forced to hide what you like or who you are. When I was younger and saw how "different" people were treated, I hid my more unique interests. Not a good idea in a long run, because now I still struggle to act like my true self. I'm a crazy cat lady who likes dolls and tattoos, watches anime and plays video games. Deal with it rest of the world. I do you no harm.

5. Hahaha I feel you!! My friends think my doll is pretty cool, but my dad, after trying with no luck, can't help feeling creeped out lol! If I see him looking at her I say things like "if you look at her for so long, she'll turn her head and look back at you"!
      Anyway, I hide my hobby from my extended family too, they're a bit judgemental and I don't want them to jump into conclusions, and I'm really cut up about having to explain them why I'm not crazy, why I like dolls or how I manage my money (because I know the conversation would lead there). But then again, it's not just dolls, I don't really want to share everything with them.

6. I have to say that I'm not trying to hide them from others but, I know some people doesn't like this kind of hobby. To prevent bad reaction, I just don't say it before I really know the person. Before, I was collecting reborn baby doll, so that was "worst". But, the truth is I never had bad reaction from others. Sometimes they tell me "well, I won't be collecting this too, but they're cute / beautiful". I hope it will be like this forever lol

7. As Cel1512, to prevent bad reaction, I just don't say it before I really know the person.

My husband and my children welcomed the dolls, with fun and respect because it is not a collection in a corner, I create things, I make live what makes me proud sometimes. Of course I am watched over buying a newcomer as it is a budget. For my friends or my family it is more complicated, I avoid talking especially about the price to not shock. But I have 2 friends having dolls with whom to share my passion and be normal.

8. Wow reborn babies!! I've never seen one in person, only videos, but I'm soo curious about them, I want to hold one so badly lol.
      Anyway, I know what you mean, the more "babyish" the doll, the "crazier" is the owner, that's the popular knowledge :doh

9. I hide them from my friend who is actually scared of all sorts of dolls.
      I also hide them from um... people that I'm not exactly close with, unless I find a reason that I could trust them.

10. Sometimes I wish I could ;)
      Some people find dolls interesting, most people think it's weird to collect dolls / find them creepy or useless, the few people who also happen to know how much dolls cost, think I'm plain crazy. I don't like to be judged so I don't always publicize my love of dolls so much :)

11. I haven't shared the full extent of my involvement in the hobby with anyone. My parents know about some of my dolls--although they think they are Pullips, despite clarifying. My mother's family knows about my other off-topic dolls (mostly Pullips, but I doubt they remember), and no one else knows anything.

Its not really that I feel embarrassed about my dolls--I explained them to a friend that was curious--but most people I know just aren't the sorts of people who are into doll collecting. I don't talk about sewing much either--and I've been lucky to be friends with one other person who sews.

Perhaps it's a bit of my personality, but I sort of pursue my interests on my own, and if others are interested, then I am happy to explain and help them to pursue it themselves.

12. Well, yes...I guess you should know your peers well. I know that in my case, my friends would say I'm crazy for spending so much on dolls, I can see they don't understand the hobby BUT I don't think they will go as far as insulting or disrespecting. I will also choose who gets to meet my dolls LOL...So I do kinda judge them first before they judge me about my hobbies. :mwahaha

13. None of my friends are interested in dolls so it's not really hiding my hobby from them but rather not speaking of my dolls at all. My family knows about my obsession, obviously, since I couldn't hide the dolls from them even if I wanted. They don't share my passion for dolls but they are okay with it.

14. No. Everyone around me knows about my hobby. My sisters and even my sweetie will tell their friends about my hobby.

15. I only tell people I trust that I collect dolls. This hobby means a lot to me so I'd rather not share it to just anyone. I don't feel like explaining it or dealing with judgmental people, but that may just be me.

16. When it comes to classmates, coworkers, and acquaintances, I don't tell them because usually those relationships are about being productive or they're not very meaningful, so I keep personal stuff to myself. Of course, sometimes those kinds of relationships evolve into friendships, so in that case I would consider telling them. I really only talk this hobby with my close friends, my boyfriend, some of my boyfriend's family, and my mom.

17. No, not really. I'm very open about my dolls.

18. I don't run around shouting about it, rather, keep it to myself. But should it come up, I'm happy to talk about it, and I have my dolls stuff on display at home. "To each their own" seems to be a good common stand point for things like this, like many other (often costly) collecting and niche hobbies.

19. Ah yes, I try not to let my relatives know about my hobby, because I dun want them to judge me on how much I spent on the dolls.

20. I used to be careful, but now I dont care. Ive kicked people out of my house for being disrespectful of my hobby. I do what makes me happy.