1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you hide your hobby from certain people?

Jun 9, 2014

1. I try to usually hide the cost of the whole hobby from my dad. He's fairly supportive! And he understands we all have our crazy little hobbies we spend "ridiculous" (in outside opinions) amounts of money on. Some people it's brand name clothes and shoes. Maybe cars. Me? My dolls. Buuuuuut, he still gives the wide-eyed, silently walking away expression when he asks about the cost and gets an answer.
      As well, I try to hide my hobby the best I can from this one person I used to be friends with in town? We both physically got into the hobby around the same time (physically as in finally bought dolls), and I'm pretty convinced they have recasts. I remember them talking about finding a seller on ebay for like half the price of what the doll was actually worth from the company. Back then I didn't really understand, but looking back I can totally see them being a cheap-ass and buying recasts without remorse. I also hide my hobby from them because they were not a very good person, and I don't want them to think because I'm also in the hobby that gives them a reason to chat me up. They don't seem to understand that I ended the friendship because they were a genuinely not good person, and so they don't have the right to come back and try to liven up the dead friendship. It's very stressful and I wish they would just leave me alone. Especially my boys. I don't want them anywhere near my dolls, let alone me. Don't talk to me or my doll boys ever again.
      It's sad that I know there's someone in the hobby less than 5 minutes from my house, which is really rare considering we're a town of 40k in Canada kind of out of the way of the big cities, but there's no way in hell I'm going to do anything doll related with them. And if there's ever a doll meet up in this area, I'd be very hesitant to show knowing they'd either be there or be running it. I'd probably only want to go to show off my super cute legit boys out of spite, lol.

Otherwise, I've had a lot of nice comments and support towards my hobby from even coworkers or friends on facebook that see my dolls every once in a while. Anyone I've spilled the beans on their price tag has either been shocked or understanding that we all have our strange hobbies that cost a lot. I've had a lot of older coworkers compliment things I've made or my one boys faceup that I did, so that's also really nice. <3 Some friends have been hesitant about the dolls, still thinking dolls are really creepy, but they haven't been too rude about it. If you like me, you're gonna have to get used to the doll talk, lol.

2. So, one of my favourite people (my job supervisor no less!) is a Barbie fanatic. I love hearing about all the custom Barbies she's gotten over the years. It never occurred to me how similar our interests were until I showed her a pic of Annix and then told her his price. She wasn't at all judgey and we bonded over doll hunting and how we can get lost for hours on forums, looking up our favourite makes and models.
      So from her, I would definitely not be ashamed even of talking about the prices involved. I don't really see the point in hiding my interests anyway, since i have way "weirder" collections. (Looks at my tarantulas. They're hungry so they look back with murder in their little spidery hearts). I know some people are unsettled by dolls and I just DGAF. When I post on facebook updating my hobby, the most I'll do is put a sarcastic tag on the picture, preemptively, in case someone says 'Ugh, what a terrible hobby'.

3. Yes, I hide this hobby from basically everyone. The only people that know are my mother and brother. The reason I don't share my interests is because I would rather not be judged or bothered by people that don't understand. It's not that I think everyone would be rude about it, but it's easier to just keep it to myself.

#343 fuu-sensei, Jun 15, 2017
      Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
    4. In General, I prefer not to talk about it to other people (not counting people with the same passion). In a similar way I'm not talking about the fact that I have a first Dan in karate. People make certain and predictable conclusions.

I have one funny story. Once I had a relationship with a great visionary. This guy lived with his parents begging, earning crumbs on freelancing...He thought he was a lesbian girl (he was not a transvestite) and the reincarnation of Joan D'Arc (!). And you know what he said to me at last?I live in an imaginary world, and he lives in the real world! LOL

5. you're definitely not the only one I'm really nervous to tell my friends I doubt they'd be super judgemental about the actual hobby but I can't imagine what they would say about the money I spend ....

6. I'm not hiding this hobby, but I don't speak first~
      Because there are people who do not understand this hobby!
      I like hobbies regardless of their understanding, and I do not want to feel bad with their thoughts against my thoughts!

7. I don't hide it, but I don't actively advertise it either. My mum on the other hand, like showing off my dolls to her friends that come to the house.

8. I wouldn't say Hide so much as I don't tell people everything I do. There's absolutely no reason for anyone to know, for example, how much a doll cost me. I don't have an S.O. I share finances with, so it's nobody's business.

9. Well my husband knows all about it because you know financial partners and all. And while he will never be into like I'm, I can talk be freely about it and he'll just kind of nod along. lol.

As for my parents, they know I collect these dolls and my mom thinks that they are beautiful. But she is also worried about the cost. So when I talk to her I just tell her general things and never get into price.

My coworkers know that I collect dolls and they do call the dolls creepy. But they also the most supportive people when I am excited for a new doll and they tease me very gently. lol.

10. I guess I wouldn't necessarily hide it, but I also wouldn't actively broadcast that I collect them? I don't really consider them odd, and I don't have much of a problem if other people do; I'm moreso afraid that someone would damage them or something like that...I'm more than happy to talk to people about them and I definitely don't hide the fact that I collect them, but I doubt I'd ever be ballsy enough to take them out in public, just in case they were to become damaged or worse: stolen :eek:

11. Only my parents and a close friend knows about them. I don't hide it (since I post some doll photos at my instagram where my other family and friends follow too) but I won't mention it to them either. I don't want to be judged unnecessarily since its my hobby, my money and it's quite an uncommon hobby over here. Most people around me thinks hobbies that involve"collecting" are just a waste of money and space.

12. Well. I ´m not hiding it nor showing to everyone. My husband is making furniture for dolls so most of the people thinks that my doll is only for pic posing. But I do play with her :D

13. II'm not hiding my dolls but I just don't speak about it to anybody.
      My mother and boyfriend like it, and I just don't say the price to my father and grand parents.

14. I don't have any bjds, but I do hide the fact that I love dolls. When I was in grade 5, there was a doll that I liked (it's not a bjd) and when I told a girl, she made fun of me. I was so embarrassed. So, now I only tell people I trust.

15. I didnt try to hide it tho but of course i wont expect my normie frds to understand or accept it. Most of them say my dolls are cute but scary too! Even my bf is not as supportive as i expected even he like DD and smart doll.

16. I have been blessed with my family! They support any of my hobbies)) Whenever they notice anything suitable for dolls they buy it for me. And I think that everyone is free to choose his or her own hobby.

17. I don't hide that I collect but I do not tell everyone how much they cost as I know some just would not get it and disapprove.

18. My family and boyfriend don't mind it and are pretty chill about it, but I never really go out of my way to post stuff on social media. I might once I get better at sewing for them, but I mainly keep it on sites like here and tumblr.

19. Most of of my friends and only close family know about my dolls. They don't mind it really (except for my sister). I refuse to tell my co-workers though. I work with all sorts of people, most of them being very chatty women. They all know my to be a little weird anyways, but letting them know about this hobby is no bueno in my opinion. It's not that I'm ashamed of my dolls, I love them. It's just that I'd rather go to work and not worry about people knowing too much about me and throwing it back in my face or wanting me to feel ashamed about it. I'd rather avoid the fuss from the get-go.

20. I don't really hide my dolls--- I have a few pics of my dolls on FB/insta/twitter, but I won't bring them up in every day conversation. If people ask, I will answer all the questions I am comfortable answering. Talking about the cost of them is something I don't like bringing up though, but I don't like talking about money so;;;