1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you hide your hobby from certain people?

Jun 9, 2014

1. For the most part, I don't care -- but I do know that there is a stigma about this hobby to most people. I have one IRL friend who introduced me to this site, though I liked BJDs before I even met her. She provides an outlet for discussing dolly stuff without worry. :)

My husband didn't know I was buying a doll (my first one) -- it just arrived and I set it on a shelf in "my" work area, which is out in the open. I was worried about what he would say -- both because he might be curious how much it cost (and finances are a touchy subject with me due to how my mother hounded me about things like that) and because I thought he might be like, "No, absolutely not, I don't want dolls in the house."

A week or so later, he asked what I was watching on YouTube, and I said "wig-making tutorials". "For what?", he asked. "For that thing on the shelf behind you," I answered. He said, "Oh the creepy eyeless thing?" (I hadn't put his eyes in yet lol) But after that, he was like, "Ok, you do you."

Granted, I already collect extremely detailed sixth scale Hot Toys figures, and I think that helped ease him in -- but I know he won't be too happy if I overrun things with a ton of dolls. I'm selling like 1/3 of my HT figs right now, so maybe that will help. ;)

2. I have people who have 0 interest in them, or think they are creepy in one way or another, but no one so far has been mean about it, or belittled my love of them really. My nan makes fun of them and what have you, but she knows that I'm a very straight laced person otherwise XD So I don't think she minds terribly, she'd just rather I use my money for stuff like new winter coats or boots. I think so long as you can try and understand someone else's interests, that you don't find appealing, then they probably have an easier time understanding yours... or at least that's what I've found :) Just keeping things positive overall, unless someone is being absolutely horrible and irresponsible, there's no need to be negative about anything, even if you joke about it.

3. I don't hide the dolls in my room, but honestly I don't talk about them to everyone. Only people who knows me for a while or that I already know they like/respect the hobby will hear me talk about it. Otherwise too much headache, there's way too many people who think that dolls are for kids (no matter what kind of doll), feel entitled to ask you to give some of your collection to their kids (and will take an educated "no" in the most offended way), etc.

4. I don't talk about it with everyone. People who know me and within my "nerd" friend circle MAY know about it if they know what BJD is, otherwise I don't talk about it. I'm very closet about this hobby but I don't keep it a secret either. I post pics of my dolls sometimes on my IG or Twitter. However, I am more open about my Blythe, Pulllip, Kikipop, Azone...you name them. The more "acceptable" and "less creepy" looking toys.

My family (mom, dad, sister) and my husband know about them and they think they're creepy (as expected) but they don't care if I collect them. He still buy some of them for me. Maybe because it's due to my occupation as an artist that they tolerate my weird/childish quirks. Besides, I've been in this hobby for over 10 years so they're used to it by now... I think.

5. I am very lucky to have friends and family who are very open minded and support whatever hobbies I have as long as I am taking care if myself! In fact my best friend is the one who got me into dolls and I have another close friend who bought her first doll around the exact same time as I bout my first one. My boyfriend isn't a huge fan of the dolls themselves but knows I am passionate about them and supports me. And my mother is the biggest reason I even k ew I loved dolls as she has given porcelain dolls to me as gifts since I was very young. And my dad is super nerdy and has his own hobbies so I can't imagine he'd judge me for mine xD

That being said. I am usually pretty good at telling what kind of person will or won't accept my doll hobby. I will choose to tell people about my hobby or not. Most random people I meet that I tell, they think it's cool and if they don't, it doesn't matter, because I likely won't see them again, and I will just drop the subject.

The most important thing is to not let it affect you too much. It's what you love so no one should take that away. It sounds like you aren't friends with this person anymore which honestly is probably better. It's good to surround yourself with all positive people and let them uplift you instead of tearing you down. :)

6. I hide it a lot... because they will judge my hobby, my taste, and obviously the price.. :") so sad

7. Based on past experiences I actually haven't told any of my friends about my hobby. My past friends weren't so friendly so I don't feel comfortable with sharing my dolls with friends until I know they are the right sort if that makes sense?

#367 balljointedgirl, Sep 2, 2017
      Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
    8. I never have. I never strongly cared what people think, but I think I also liked the questions and weird looks so that could be it too. I feel like anyone that'll judge me for having this hobby, aren't really good people to have around anyway. Everyone has their thing.

9. I'm not planning on hiding my hobby from anyone, my parents think it's a really unique but beautiful hobby and the people in my surroundings are quite amazed by this hobby, so far nothing negative was said but even if that's going to happen, I will still talk freely about my hobby :)

10. I hide my liking for dolls from almost everyone except my parents (they have the right to know, even though I hate my dad's comments) and online friends because everyone I know online seems to have that one thing they really like that's typically misunderstood. Most of my friends are really supportive and just tell me "I'm happy you're talking to people who share interests with you" and "You better send me pictures of your doll when you get her" even if they're not interested in BJDs themselves. I'm just worried people will think of it as childish or weird and I've had enough of people thinking that about me for a lifetime haha. I do sometimes mention dolls if I have a vague memory of someone telling me they liked them or own a doll, BJD or not!

11. I don't really talk about my hobby to the most people.
      Only very few close friends of mine know about it.
      Some of them are scared of the dolls but they are not against the hobby itself.

12. I personally tell everyone that I collect dolls but only certain people will I have actual conversations about dolls with. I like the idea of sharing my interest with others but only if they show some kind of interest back. Some random people I meet in my day will be more interested than some people in my own family but that doesn't bother me.

13. I hide my hobby for the simple fact that I hate the same awful comments 'You're too old for that.' or 'When are you ever going to grow up?' This hobby is something I really enjoy and I'm grateful that there is a place like here where I can talk about it without being judged.

14. I hide the dolls and their prices generally from everyone as most people wouldn't understand why spend so much on a doll ! ;) for a select few though I love to swap collection pictures and discuss about dolls :)

15. I show pictures of my dolls to people apropos of nothing like some people show pictures of their kids. The reaction is usually mild horror (like they're creeped out by dolls in general) or they just flat out don't get it. I've never had someone who wasn't in the hobby actually compliment my dolls. That really doesn't keep me from showing people, though. I love them. They're part of my personality and an extension of my artistic passions. The people closest to me don't have to get it, but I'm going to show them if we're spending a lot of time together.

TBH, my best friend thinks my dolls are very creepy, and she's bought dolls (not BJDs) for me anyway just because she knows I like them. Accepting my creepy doll obsession is kind of a prerequisite for being my friend, I think. You don't have to like it, but you do have to be able to accompany me (a grown woman with no children) down a toy aisle to look at doll clothes.

16. I tell everyone about this hobby. Most people gawk at the price of everything, but they usually agree that the dolls are really pretty.

17. I haven't told my colleagues or anyone who does not live under the same roof as me. So, in other words, my parents are the only ones that I'm aware of that know about my dolls. I have actually set a photo of Ethan as my Facebook cover photo and only three of my 'friends' have liked it. No-one has commented on it. No-one has asked who/what it is. It's in the gallery thread I set up, of Ethan's nose and lips (his eyes are cropped out), so it's not immediately obvious that it's a doll. But no-one has said a word about it.

Then again, on the other hand, I'm not bothered about everyone knowing what I do in my spare time. I'm a rather private person. My dolls are my hobby that I mostly enjoy on my own. It would be nice to have a small group to meet regularly with and chat BJDs over coffee. But I'm not actively seeking that. I'm fine with it being me and my dolls.

18. Only a very few people know about my hobby. I don't talk about it mostly because where I live people who have dolls are seen as either childish, creepy or lonely and desperate. However, I've realised that when you talk about the face-up and body blushing aspect, people tend to take you more seriously and even seem more interested, so that's always nice!

19. I don't make a effort to hide my hobby. I just rarely talk to people about it. I don't bring up the conversation about bjds unless a person sees my doll and shows positive attitude toward them.

To many people see our resin dolls as Barbies and when you try to tell them the prices they just roll their eyes. That really annoys me.

20. Most definitely! My closest friends know and support me but not the more distant ones. My parents may see me working on a wig when they visit but they will NEVER know the details (The prices will kill them). I also tell my friends white lies about the prices.

Mostly because I don't think they understand spending so much on a luxury even if they do so for gaming. (and that one time my best friend broke one of my doll. Dropped it and the face cracked. She can never know now the price)