1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you hide your hobby from certain people?

Jun 9, 2014

1. Only my closer friends know that I'm involved in the hobby. other than that it's just people who ask what I'm interested in, as long is I feel like they're the type that won't judge!! :3nodding: I wish I could be more open about it, but I've gotten so many weird looks and people saying "But aren't you afraid they'll attack you in the middle of the night?" sigh

2. I told some of my cousins and most of them are supportive! We share a lot of the same interests but none of them are really into BJDs... mostly nendroids, figurines, and POPS. But they understand my enthusiasm and that makes me happy. But one of my cousins just looks down at me when she found out how much one of dolls were.

3. I'm not activly hiding my hobby, but I usually don't tell it by myself, too. It's just enerving having this "you spend this much mony on a doll"-discussions. It's crazy how many people become intolerant, if you spend money on something, they don't.

4. I don't hide my hobby, but I usually don't bother to explain it either. I usually say that I collect or customize dolls and leave it at that - those are common enough hobbies to not raise any more questions. If somebody asks me more, I'll be glad to tell them though.

5. Nah. I don't care much at all if people know. I post about it on my public Instagram tons of non doll people I know irl follow and talk about my dolls a lot in general, it's by no means a secret. The only thing I'm somewhat cautious about is the price lol

6. not particularly, but I know which of my friends are interested in them and which are creeped out by them so I dont talk about them in front of those friends that dont like them

7. Yes. I hide from my mom at first as she does not like doll said they were creepy. And waste money and time to play that. Now I not hiding anymore as she just ignore the doll now.

8. I don't hide my hobby, it's part of who I am :) - I do find that it's lacking in some areas, but that's from a personal stand-point. The people in my life have a pretty solid understanding of what I'm up to. I've been called names, but I don't take it personally.

9. I don’t hide it from anyone. If they can’t deal with me liking bjd’s then they don’t deserve to be my friends in the first place. I’ve spent too much of my life making sure people like me only to find it didn’t bring me happiness. You do you. It’s a really old adage but you’ll find that those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.

10. I don't really hide it I suppose but I do try not to talk about it a lot. Especially at work, people get really weird about it and ask how much money I'm wasting on dolls ect. I'd rather not deal with people shaming me for it so I just try not to bring it up.

11. while it's not usually the first thing I tell someone about myself, I usually do end up telling people about this hobby. I don't hide my dolls or anything either, so anyone who has been in my house finds out.

12. Considering that most of my close friends are doll people as well I don't feel the need to hide it from, and we're all close enough to our family members that they know about dolls, but I think it ends there. I don't really hide my dolls, either. like, if I have someone coming over I won't make a big deal to put them away because I'm simply not going to that effort to hide something that's not that offensive unless I'm told that the person has a fear of dolls. If it's someone who I know will give m trouble over my dolls I'll actually lock the door of the room they're stored in. I'm not public about the pricing when it comes to dolls, and I'd rather not deal with people asking rude questions about my funds and what I do with my money, so I don't talk about it unless I get close to someone and enjoy their presence and personality.

13. I tried. But my friends don`t understand me. They think that I`m crazy ((.

14. Thus far, only my girlfriend knows about my hobby; although I'm pretty sure most of my friends would be super supportive and non-judgmental since it makes me happy. Although, I do foresee not really talking about it with more distant friends.

15. My close friends know about it, they kind of just brush it off as another one of those quirky 'artsy' things I'm into. Of course the price raised a few eyebrows first time I mentioned it, but they didn't give me too much flack for it since we're all sort of in the same boat there with the expensive hobbies. :sweat It's part of the reason I actually felt it okay to share with them, they understand it a little since we've all got somewhat niche interests.

16. Wow it’s the wild, the elusive barely-in-grade-12 me. Welllllll I have news. My parents totally don’t care, as long as all I’m spending is my money. I’ve actually shown both of them, and chat with Mom about my plans. They just absolutely don’t know any prices. And like 5 if my ex-coworkers knew. They either thought it was quirky or wanted one. And my girlfriend still loves them, and I still love her, so... easy there smol one. There’s no need to live in so much secrecy.

17. I hide it from my workmates and schoolmates mostly because I live in a rural part of my country. Toy collectors or hobbyists in general are frowned upon here for some unknown reason. You get told that you're wasting time and money, or that what you do is creepy, or that you're childish and you should grow up (even when hobbyists can pay their bills in advance). Its basically just as bad as doing drugs. :))
      I don't hide it from my family, though. They're super cool and supportive about them. My parents even send me little props that they come across when they travel.

18. I only share this hobby with the people who will "get" it. I don't need any evil eye or criticism about something that brings me so much joy.

19. ill share it if it happens to come up but i dont go around flaunting my dolls. most of my friends see my dolls and think their cool but thats as far as it goes. now my husband and mom in law thinks they are creepy and im crazy but they try to be suportive. (my husband is worried my sebastian minght kill us in our sleep )

its definaintly not a topic i throw out when i meet people so i guess i do hide it in a way. but im a firm believer that if yur friends are really yur friends then they will accept any hobby yu have. (read a lot of post were “friends” were not very nice about the hobby) honestly thats just sad. and admitedly i do try to avoid that.

20. I have to say, it is really very hard for my friends to understand my hobby... Surprisingly my family members are more understanding.

My friends thinking it's kinda creepy to have dolls, especially doll heads. Whereas my parents and hubby thinking it's just for fun

Anyway, I tried to hide my hobby from my workmates, but some of them know I collect dolls