1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you hide your hobby from certain people?

Jun 9, 2014

1. I don't hide it.
      I am very proud of my hobby and would not hide it to anybody. My family think I am crazy, my friends support me and my collegues are amazed about the dolls. Most of them have never heard about bjds and dolls like these. So they wanna know more about it and how I discovered this hobby.

2. I avoid telling people about my dolls. My family know, and my friends know I collect dolls. I don't really tell anyone else though. I guess I'm a little embarressed about it, because they're expensive and many people see dolls as children's toys.

3. When I first started thinking about getting a doll when I was in a senior in HS, I told my mom I was interested in buying one. She is very supportive of me but I could tell she was a bit confused about it.
      That was seven years ago and I finally bought one recently. I'm a bit dreading the thought of her knowing I actually bought one (I'm expecting her to think it was just a phase I'd grow out of.) It's currently being shipped to my parents' house and I'm hoping I'll be home to intervene the package LOL. I'd like to keep it on the DL as long as possible... I've always been a bit eccentric with my hobbies and I feel like "oh great another weird thing I like that people think is bizarre."

I've never told anyone else that I like BJDs, except for one other coworker who seemed very uninterested...

4. I probably won’t ever tell my parents about it. And I’ll probably keep is private from anyone who doesn’t have their own enthusiast hobby. But a lot of my friends have niche hobbies, like cosplay, so they’re more understanding.

5. My family and closest friends know, but I don't normally gush about it to my friends since I feel like it weirds them out.

6. I think It's the same for me ! My closest friends and family know, but that's all. And in fact, whatever the things I like, I'm not the kind of person talking about them with everybody ^^' so dolls aren't an exception.

7. Yes.. I avoid my family because they don't know are so expensive.. and I dont want to expose my hobbies so much.. I keep my dolls in a cabinet, they can see but I don't want to show them I'm so interested. And I'm interested in dolls but not too much anymore. Lately I started to discuss to my mother that SOME of these dolls are more expensive , as they may be custom dolls and so on. She thinks that there's expensive dolls but she don't image that also my dolls are expensive (they don't image also "basic" dolls cost 300 or 400 € (this is the max price I would pay for a doll), but the final price increase due the shipping costs and custom fees. So I believe the maximum price I paid was 600 or 650€. In any case, I can understand why for them would be a bit too much expensive. But they don't consider as I said that there's shipping costs and custom fees. At the end, for a person that make sculps , 300 € is the right price for an hard work. The problem is not just the price itself of a doll in this hobby. The problem is that one can became dependent from this and don't understand when too much is too much. The high amount of money spent for accessory too. So everything require a discernment, because if something became eccessive , is eccessive. So I put a limit to my hobby and trying to avoid as much as I can to buy new dolls (I actually have 10 dolls and I think is enough). If I would spend money for shoes or expensive bags or clothes, probably , for many would not be like one spend too much. People see that clothes or things like that are more "necessary" compared to dolls. I can understand this. But also to buy expensive clothes of jewelry is not that much necessary. As there's more cheap clothes and so on. Anyway... I want to stop in any case to spend too much and for now I'm interested in my last Blythe dolls and stop. Now is time to make more beneficence and spend at least a big part of amount I spent for dolls , also to help others. Or even if is hard to reach the same amount I spent for dolls also to different benefit associations , I will force me to make more as much as can. I couldn't never reach the same level of amount, if I would count also all the money I spent for everything in my life. This would be excessive too. As we live in the world and we spent money in a way or another. But surely there's need to give more to beneficence or associations , Onlus and so on...

#507 dollypeach, Apr 4, 2018
      Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
    8. I wouldn't say I hide it, but I'm still a little self conscious about it. I've loved dolls (mostly fashion dolls but now recently bjds as well) for my whole life, but when I got older I thought I shouldn't like toys anymore. It took me a lot of courage as a teen to start buying dolls and toys I loved. Now I'll talk about it to some select few (mostly because most people I know aren't interested) and mention it to some others, but I don't really go out of my way to hide it. Hopefully with some more time I'll gain more confidence and won't even hesitate at all :3nodding:

9. I never thought about if I should tell someone about it or not. I display the dolls at home, I bring them outside for meetings or photos and I also show other people photos of them. I don't care what they think, because it's my hobby and I love my dolls. I can understand if other people might dislike dolls, but if they can't accept my hobby, it's not my problem :whee:

10. I do not hide my hobby and its cost from friends and relatives.

11. I do hide the prices from my parents, but I don't hide my dolls from anyone. Cause hobbies can share right? I shared my hobby with my friend and now she has a doll also!

12. NO ONE KNOWS except close family and 3 friends one of which has 2 dolls herself.

13. I probably would've a year or two ago, but even if people don't like it, It doesn't affect me. I've experienced some other people (real life) saying it was weird, but, it didn't get to me.

14. Me: "Wanna see the cutest, useless things ever!" *shows co-worker awesome msd boots*
      Co-worker: "What are they, salt and pepper shakers?"
      Me: "No, they're doll boots."
      Co-worker: "I didn't know you still played with dolls." *smirk*
      Me: "It's for my inner child, when's the last time you saw yours?"

Cost? Priceless.

15. My family and friends know about my hobby but I hide it from everyone I'm not close with because I don't want them to judge me or think I'm weird. I wish this wasn't the case though and that people weren't judgemental about things like dolls.

16. I tell everyone about it when they ask what is something unique that I do. It is still rare that someone is a doll collector, specifically a resin doll collector. I don't care what they will say, it's my money and I'll buy what I want with what I earned myself. I already am a bit guilty for paying so much for "just a toy", so other's opinion doesn't affect me anymore. I consider this hobby a luxury and showing people I own a doll is like bragging a diamond ring or a signature bag, they never get why I bought such an expensive doll :sweat.

17. I hide my BJD hobby to almost everyone.

18. I don't really hide it, per se. If you come to my place you're going to see them. If you spend time with me in a non-professional setting my hobby will eventually come up. My family and friends all do know about my doll collecting. It doesn't really affect me in any way if they dislike them; I just don't "talk dolls" with them. I don't bring it up to people who have already expressed disinterest or at inappropriate places. It's too late in the game for me to feel embarrassment about my dolls, but I do respect that they're not everyone's cup of tea and I'm not hurt if others think it's dumb/weird/whatever. (Probably they have a hobby or like something I feel the same about, after all.)

19. My close friends and family know that I am in the hobby. I don't think I'd bring it up to a stranger, or someone I don't know very well, however. I am well aware of how judgemental people can be...

20. I'm pretty exposed but there are for sure still some family members I don't want knowing about it because of how petty they are :roll: but I mean if they came over and saw them I'd tell them about it if they asked. So initially I won't bring it up unless I have to.