1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you hide your hobby from certain people?

Jun 9, 2014

1. Not actively hide, but I don't talk about it with people who aren't my absolute closest friends at this point. I feel really silly about it, but I'm a transgender man and I get afraid that people will tell me I'm actually a woman if they know I like dolls.

2. i tend to hide most my hobbies like i collect anime figure,cosplay and of course bjd but i dont really share it with what my friends call "normies" i know kinda stupid, but in my experience people who arent into collecting/nerd culture esc things dont tend to be as kind about things as compared to someone who has a collecting hobby with high value items

3. I don't hide it from people but I definitely don't show everyone. I find it is an acquired taste so I tend to ask lots of questions to see if its something that interests them. The only rude comments I've received are that its 'creepy' or childish.

4. i'm in the same boat as you, also a trans man and always worried about dealing with the dang gender expectations involved with dolls :-/

although it doesn't help that i'm also in my mid twenties and my interest in dolls always seems to come hand in hand with folks assuming its a sexual thing or something skeevy cause i'm a grown man collecting dolls

i don't generally talk about them with my irl friends anymore just cause of mixed responses that left me feeling upset, easier to just avoid the topic altogether than to deal with the poking fun at my expense lol, but in online spaces i'm a lot more open about being into BJDs and most of my online friends are either into them or at least appreciate them

5. I do not hide it but I am not telling everyone.
      Sometimes when someone ask how much I had spent for a doll or clothes I did not tell the truth...

6. somewhat. I am probably too self conscious about it, most of the folks I've told about the hobby think it's neat - even if it isn't for them. I definitely have to work up a little extra courage to talk about how much it costs, haha.

7. I do because in the first few years in the hobby, i was bullied by family about how much i was spending on them. It's still unclear what they felt i should be spending it on, but eventually I stopped telling them.

8. I really only tell my SO about my dolls and friends in the hobby. I showed my boss and she was cool about it. Other than that its a huge secret to my family.

9. I don't really hide it to anyone and i'm comfortable showing my doll to my other social media accounts. Everyone around me knows i'm so much into dolls, some are creeped out but it doesn't annoy or scare me off.

10. No, I don't hide. Several times even brought my BJD to the office)

11. Really some people are scary of dolls (thanks to movies). Sometimes my husband says: "She is creepy, because she looks at me." But even thus, he supports me in my hobby <3

12. Not really hide the dolls, but there is no way I'd tell my parents how much I spent on them. Even though I'm a grown adult and don't need their approval, I know they would not approve of the cost.

13. I don't share my hobby with new people, I put the dolls in their boxes and everything when new people come over. My family and close friends know about my hobby and the dolls but only the friends I have that collect them know what I paid for them. I found most people are fine with it until they know what you paid and then they look at you like your crazy.

14. I do not really hide my hobby (e.g. if I invate somebody over I do not tend to hide the dolls), but not telling about it to new people either. My family and closer friends know about it. Some people in the past made some negative commets, so I do not feel like telling about it to new people. I moved abroad about year ago and none of my new friends really know about my hobby.

15. I’m not actively hiding my doll but I’m really dreading when my family comes across him or when they ask me about all the packages I receive. I don’t think they’d really accept the hobby and they’d been appalled at how much money the dolls cost. I’m a really private person because I’m so afraid of being judged.

16. When I started this hobby, I was in high school. I was super embarrassed, and kept it a secret from almost everyone, minus my parents and a few fellow nerdy friends I went to anime conventions with (who were very nice and supportive!) Now in my mid-twenties, I've come back to the hobby, and I've been thinking about this and how these conversations might go. I actually told someone the other day, for the first time since getting back into BJD - she had specifically asked me if I had any "nerdy hobbies", and we were in a comic shop, so I felt pretty safe, haha. Otherwise, I'm planning on leaving my dolls displayed in my bedroom, so I supposed I will have those conversations, if/when they comes up.

The only point I might withhold is how much they cost - if the person is a collector, they'll know the expenses that come with that; if they're not, I don't think they need to know, haha. I'm looking forward to seeing what others in this thread have to say!

17. At fist yes. But then I realized that it’s my personal life, my choice what to do with my time and my money and nobody can tell me otherwise! I even got my sister in this hobby but she already kinda likes toys and stuffed animal etc. But I know so many brave people who do what they like in their life and I wanna be like them! Don’t you ever let anyone tell you how to live your life or that your hobby is crazy or weird. Not everyone likes to do the same stuff and that’s the best part of being a person. Being you!

18. I don't hide, but also don't advertise, .Some people are careless about other people's property, because "this is just a doll" and I would like to avoid it.

19. Hm, I don't hide it but I don't mention it to people who I don't think will be at all interested. I'm not really embarrassed per se, but I don't want to annoy people who don't care. My friends are sweet but I'd feel bad putting them in a position where they might feel they'd have to feign interest to be polite.

20. Honestly, I tell just about anyone I'm acquainted with about my dolls - especially my coworkers. Some of them really like seeing my dolls, which I think is cool. But I always try to downplay it with the post-office people. I remember selling a minifee head to someone overseas, and the post office people (a girl around high school age) asked me to declare what it was. I told her it was a doll head and it was super awkward. She just looked at me like "Sorry what - just the head???" It didn't help that there was a line of people and the room was quiet. XD