1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you include your floating heads in your doll count?

Jan 6, 2012

1. I do have one character who is a shape changer and he has 4 heads. I have an extra floating head I hope to make into a doll soon (But I refer to her as a floating head until she gets the appropriate body). Usually I do not count floating heads as a doll. But the Loki character is one doll with 4 faces (even more heads if they suit eventually). Other heads such as sleeping heads on "specials" to the main doll I just view as part of the doll just a different aspect (i.e. awake and asleep). I do not feel the need to give each head its own body unless it really calls for it. Other dolls in my family do not change heads at all because it would detract from their character. So it depends on the circumstances, really.

2. For me it is not a "doll" unless it has a head and body. So I count my collection as 3 dolls and 1 floating head. .... But I have her body, and another doll on layaway, plus one more in production. Do I count the ones not here yet? That would make it 6 for me.

3. Personally I count them as what they are, in other words floating heads-wannabe dolls... > A>;
      I'm afraid I make no sense either...

4. I count them as half a doll or say 'I have X number of dolls and two heads.' They aren't a full doll, yet they should count as something.

5. Hmmm...I suppose I would say I have two dolls and a floating head. I have an idea for a character for the floating head, but her body isn't a priority at the moment. But I don't think a doll necessarily needs to be "complete" (with wig, eyes, face-up, outfit, etc.) to be considered a "doll."

6. I say dolls, floating heads and maybe even floating bodies. For example if you buy a head then try to match it to a body and the color doesn't work....now you have floating body too~ hahaha

7. I think I would count a floating head as a doll, but I wouldn't count a headless body as a doll.

8. I don't have any floating heads (any more) but I wouldn't count it. I didn't count the body either, because it just didn't feel like a doll to me. :sweat

9. when I do a headcount yes :p but only if its a fully face upped head!

10. It's interesting that I would run into this topic, as I just got my first 2 floating heads and was wondering about this. I've decided that I don't consider the heads in my doll count, but I do consider them in my character count~ :)

11. I count them... it's a headcount. ;D

Though I have two heads for one body... I was originally going to move one head to a body body, but then she became a girl again. @_@'

12. I wouldn't count it as a [whole] doll, but I would defintely always mention an extra head.

13. I only have one floating head that I use for face-up practice, so I don't count them as a doll. I don't ever plan to get them a body either. It doesn't really have a gender, or a personality. It's just Dan. XD I just usually tell people I have four dolls.

14. Nope. To me a doll is a head and body that are connected together. Even if I had a floating head and a spare body, if they're not intended to be put together as a doll, I wouldn't count that as a full doll. So I'm with the group that says xxx dolls and xx floating heads.

15. I include them in my count. In my mind, they are already full-blown characters, simply waiting for completion. If I have gone so far as to buy a head, I have already done the important work, which is falling in love with a sculpt, figuring out who they could be in my "village" of dolls, and imagining how they will be painted and dressed. Finding and buying a suitable body for them is merely footwork and creative accounting. Oh, and waiting: I have been waiting more than a year for a Dollshe body for one of my heads.

16. Only have an extra head for a full doll, and don't count it.

17. Perfectly said. It's been awhile since I've added anyone new to my collection but when I was in the midst of it all recently I had quite a few floating heads (and for a short while, a headless body) and as each head has as carefully a created character and personality as compared to my full dolls, I didn't see any reason to differentiate between them. While choosing an appropriate body is also important for my dolls, I believe that the face of each doll and finding the exact perfect sculpt is the most involved part of the process in putting together a new doll.

18. I don't include them with my doll count. I always say I have seven full dolls and X# of floating heads.
      I have eight floating heads right now and only plans to get a body for one (maybetoo if I'm really lucky)

of them. I love the fact that I can have many floating heads without the need of a body for each because
      I don't want to own too many full dolls either. More than 10 ABJD seem like too much for me, but heads
      are relatively small so I can have as many as I like (or I wish!). It might seem obsessive and really want to
      stop but if I can get my hands on all the heads I would love to own, nothing will stop me from doing so. XP

- Enzyme

19. I counted the floating head as seperate despite it having it's full faceup and personality up until the other day when I ordered the body. Now that it's body is actually on the way I just include the floating head in the total count.

20. Yes and no. I include them in my signatures, but if someone asks me, how many dolls I have, I don't. If I have ordered the body, I'll count them though.