1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you incorporate a part of you into your doll?l

Oct 6, 2010

1. I think everyone does it, and often unconsciously. Like I never really thought about it before someone brought it up, but my dolls all share very similar characteristics; large, wide eyes and full lips. Guess what I have. :lol:

We, obviously, also push interests, likes and dislikes on characters as well. Nobody is going to dress their doll in a style they absolutely detest.​

2. Gads, no. I want my dolls to be PRETTY, not look like me, lol.

3. No. I'm not particularly riddled with self-confidence issues, but at the same time I know that I have very, very few interesting or admirable characteristics. I'm just pretty average and boring all around, especially physically, and I do not wish to bestow that upon my characters/dolls. When I first got one of my dolls he by complete accident came with the same eye and hair colour and style, and to be honest it really unnerved me. He sat bald and eye-less until I got his proper wig and eyes in the mail, because eeesh. I don't want to look at a doll that looked like a tiny me. :o

So you could probably say that my dolls are the opposite of me, because I pointedly avoid putting any tangible part of me into a doll (their characters tend to share my beliefs though, but even my own beliefs come from my admiration of other people's open mindedness and experience). I do really like to incorporate parts of OTHER people into my dolls. Cute crushes, friends, boyfriend, namesakes, other people or other people's characters I admire. I like doing that, it adds extra significance onto them.

4. hmmm *thinks about doll*
      Well, i'm still getting to know her (she arrived yesterday) But she seems very shy and sweet so far.

I'm a pretty shy person until you get to know me. So maybe I did unintentionally put a part of who I am into her.

We'll have to see as I get to know her OwO

5. I dont nessecarily incorporate a part of me in a physical look sense but the fact that I put a lot of love and effort into making her things . Its kind of like paiting to me, there will always be some part of me in it whether its obvious or not.

6. I was really blonde when I was young, and two of my resins are blonde. But that's about as far as it goes.

7. Neither of my dolls look like me, or dress the way I would. Character-wise, there might be something in there, but other than that, I think I'm passed making a doll look like me because it happens to be a doll. I had too much of that when I was a kid, and I think I got tired of always getting a doll with the same hair and eye coloring as me. I wanted to expand, diversify.

I wanted crazy red hair, or streaked hair. I wanted interesting eye colors. I don't really have either of those two, but they do look different from me, and that's enough.

I'm actually - probably unconsciously - staying away from my own eye and hair colorings.

8. I incorporate parts of myself into my dolls, in a sense, but moreso because of the fact that I'm really incorporated parts of myself into the dolls' characters when I make them. I'm a writer, and I find it easier to have a three-dimensional, dynamic character if I can either relate to them in some way, or (more likely) if I've directly put some of my traits and qualities into them. So, each of my characters really just echo and reflect different parts of myself -- sometimes the not so nice parts, even! -or perhaps me at different time periods in my life. That goes to say that some characters have more of 'me' in them than others. They rarely share my physical traits, however.

If a character is not based off of an asset of myself, though, then they are most likely based off the assets or different sides of another character that I've made, so that the original character is similar to the new, or reflected back in a different light with the new character. For instance, Lux isn't so much like myself, but he is directly inspired from my most oldest and dearest character (who is almost like my own alternate personality) in recreation. I took the good aspects of the 'root' character, combined them with the child shell of Lux, who is nothing like his older self, really, and came up with a different person who, over time I spent with him, has become his own individual and whose grown all his own. There will probably come a time when assets of Lux will be incorporated into a new character in the future. They'd have to be special, though, as Lux is very special to me, almost as much as the muse who inspired him.

In retrospect, I hope what I'm saying makes sense or doesn't sound crazy. It was just the best way to answer your question!: yes, my dolls are like small, altered reflections of myself, though they don't tend to have my physical appearance, because I appreciate more varied looks.

9. My therapist said that my dolls all kinda look like me in a werid way. My dolls personalities all have a bit of me in them, which I guess is unavoidable.

10. I believe we all put a part of ourselves into our dolls, consciously or not. After all, any personality or characteristics we ascribe to them have to come from us. As for physical characteristics, even if your doll looks NOTHING like you, if you do that on purpose, their appearance is still, in a way, influenced by yours.

11. Emby Quinn, you said it well :)

I'm actually TRYING to find a doll I can really put myself into. The doll will be female, not exactly a carbon copy of myself, but feature by feature, I really want a reasonable facsimile, complete with scars and bags under her eyes. She's going to be there so that I can learn to love myself, to remind me that although she may be synthetic and I am organic, we are both still real and beautiful despite our flaws <3

Of course, the characters of my existing ones do reflect a bit of myself (in my 1/3 boys' case, more than just bit!) as far as personality and/or interest goes, otherwise I would find it impossible to clothe them appropriately. However, none of them even remotely resemble me. Maybe, maybe you could say my Lusis and I have a similar face shape, but that wasn't something I went out of my way to incorporate, y'know?
      The closest I think it goes was having similar haircuts and hair color. Tant is dark and shaggy (which was a result of growing out a crop, not intentional), and Zin's got half crimson red. I was in a thread a while ago about having dolls with the same hair as oneself, and while I would LOVE to have a memoir wig for every look in my gallery of styles, it just wouldn't suit anyone in my current cast.

12. I don't think physical features are so prominent between dolls and their owners so much as something about the personality. Writers write about what they know, and they incorporate a piece of themselves into their stories. It's much the same with characters, I think. Be it something the owner is or wants to be.

Physical features? Not so much. Especially not between my dolls and myself. Unless you count the two dolls I have that are white skin. I'm pretty pasty myself. xD

13. Physically--no. I wish I looked that good! LOL

Personality wise---yes. All of my dolls embody a facet of my personality, and likes. For example, I have a surfer / beach girl. (I used to surf, and I am a beach bum whenever I get the chance. Hope to move there.) I have an East Indian girl. (I adore Bollywood movies, and music, and the exquisite costumes and colors of India.) I love the art of the Pre-Raphaelites, so I have a Pre-Raphaelite girl. Planning on a doll that is an artist and rocker. (I am an artist, and I used to be a metalhead.) Hope to have a Celtic girl too. (I'm part Scottish, and I love Celtic Music.)

So.......if you blend all of my dolls together, you get me. They are my mulitple personalities.

14. Yes! Before I even gave my first doll a faceup .

15. Yep... I wanted semi-Asian looking girl with dark hair and dark eyes. My friend said, "You just want a bunch of mini-yous!" haha I guess I do. :blush

Plus each doll/character has a different aspect of my multi-faceted character.

16. The doll I'll be ordering soon I plan to give some star tatoos (because I have star tatoos too) and the wings tatoo that I want on my back, too ^^

17. My dollies' personalities are usually based on a number of things and a number of people. I usually infuse a bit of myself into them, so my answer to the question is yes.

18. I do that. Although I am Very different from most of my dolls, they all have a part of me. But I've also noticed they have parts of my friends and family.

19. Non of my doll's look like me but they all wear clothing styles that I really like. The only part that matches with me is there personality.
      Allthough, sometimes I match my clothing with my doll that I'm taking with me that day so that we look like twins ^_^

20. In a sense, sure. They become characters that I envisioned, wrote about and created. That's part of me. I put in the time, effort and trial&error to make them alive, to give my characters faceted personalities, so in a way they're part of me.