1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you keep the cost of your BJD's from your non BJD friends?

May 21, 2017

1. I honestly feel like it isn’t any of their business _unless_ they seem genuinely interested. But I definitely have some friends (who I really do love dearly) who already think the hobby is “creepy”. It’s not really their business what I paid. And I’m comfortable saying that! I’d rather do that than lie, though I definitely don’t blame those who feel like they need to “adjust” the price.

2. I try to avoid telling it to my friends, they already think I'm crazy for dropping $700 on a laptop and $600 my Cintiq, I can't imagine what they'd think about my dolls that don't have "tech value," especially since none of them really understand toys, nevermind dolls...

#222 Mysstarry, Aug 3, 2018
      Last edited: May 13, 2022
    3. Yes I did ! At least most of the time. I think there is only one friend who I told my dolls prices. I think it doesn't concern them and I don't want to hear comments about how I spend my money...

4. Not that many people even know about my doll obsession, save for my family and one or two friends. My family seems okay with me dropping £200+ on dolls because it's my money that I've been saving so it doesn't affect them. I haven't really told my friends about how much BJDs cost because I think that they'd just think it's weird and wasteful to spend so much on a doll.

5. My father will never know how much my dolls cost. He would lose his mind.

6. I do tell my mum about the price range so that she knows how valuable they are and won't let the visitors accidentally hurt any of them...
      But as to my dad, haha i will never tell him the exact cost (although i think he could guess)

7. I've only told one friend so far and she was surprised but not judgemental. I've told my mum and she seemed worried that I would spend so much on something, but it is my money that I've worked for, it's not like I'm asking her to buy them for me.

I would only tell someone that I trust, and only if they ask, or show some knowledge or understanding about dolls/high cost things already. I have a friend who spends thousands on makeup every year, and then doesn't use it all, so I don't see why it would be weird for me to spend thousands on dolls (plus clothes, wigs etc) that I will actually use/play with

8. I think it's rude to call my dolls "creepy" but mostly because when people do that (and, really, only one of my friends has ever done that), it's been just an offhand, uninvited remark. I don't show my dolls to people. I have them. If they notice them, whatever. If they don't, whatever. But when I invite someone over to my house to just chill and watch a movie and they have to go and call my dolls creepy, I'm like, "Who TF asked you?" lol I don't comment about people's possessions like that. That's very impolite. Also, I don't care what other people do or like. They can have their hobby, and I'll have mine. What we each spend on our hobby should be our own concern. It's my money and regardless of what anyone thinks, I'll do what I please with it. lol

9. @Fin Raziel that's so sad! I'm glad no one's ever called my dolls creepy, I'm sorry that's happened to you!

10. I just got my first doll, and I dont tell many people, just a few people who might ask who I know who will understand after I explain the hobby to them and who I am closest to. My boyfriend for example was a bit shocked when he first heard how much I am saving and spending on the doll plus the clothes, etc. But then he likened it to himself saving and buying his gaming gear and such

I think its not something you need to tell people really. And I dont show many people my doll yet for the reason stated above. I dont think its good manners to call a doll creepy (even if you collect them yourself and see one you really dont like), but I do know theres a few people around me in my family who would do so. Im not a fan of high end fashion brands but I wouldnt call them 'gross' to a someone asking my opinion.

#230 Catsiel, Aug 9, 2018
      Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
    11. Personally I don't think the cost of anything isn't really anyone else's business. I don't run up to people and tell them how much I spent on purses or shoes or clothes unless it was a great sale and they need to know about it so they can go shopping too. My non-doll friends don't tell me how much their hobbies cost. For that matter, my BJD friends don't talk about cost either. It's all "I got a new doll!" not "I got a new doll and it was five hundred and seventy five dollars plus shipping!!"

Unless of course they got a good deal on it second-hand or were scammed (the dollar amount of a scam always comes up. And as I type this it seems a lot of people in my area get scammed. Don't buy from Facebook.)

12. I think I will never tell even my whole family about it... Not even talking about friends! Especially when you want like... really expensive, limited doll.

13. I never thought I'd be able to buy a doll, and I think the prices are kind of interesting, so I've already talked openly about them to most people in my life. Now that I'm actually getting one, I hope they'll forget. >.< People can be somewhat judgemental, and I know it might be difficult for someone who's struggling with money to hear how much I'm spending on a doll.

Honestly, though, most people in my life understand why they cost the prices that they do. I usually get along best with people who love art and craftwork and are okay with prioritizing those things over other uses of your money.

(Plus, because I move so frequently, I still have my credit card registered to my parent's address and my bank immediately cancelled my call for trying to spend 500+ in foreign currency, so my goal of hiding the price from them was completely foiled.)

14. Yep. Cost is not anyone's business! If someone seems interested, I might warn them that bjds are expensive, but don't go into it. If they are interested enough they can look it up themselves.

There are lots of judge-y people around. I try and not interact too much with people like that... because, you know... judge-y! But even close friends can get that way at times. Oh, well. :sigh

15. If you're going to tell them how much it cost, wait until they're reaching to pick up your doll. It scares the heck out of them. ;)

16. Not really. I worked hard to get the money for my first doll and I'm very proud of the patience I had :) So if my mom or friend asks how much I spent, I plainly tell them.

17. A few years ago I was happy to share. I used to tell friends and family how much money I spent on hobbies. Now the idea has changed, interest is my life, I do not have to tell others to prove how much I like my doll. As long as I'm happy, it doesn't matter how much I spend on the doll.

18. I don't keep the prices a secret from my friends. I tell them the real price so that they would be more careful with my dolls. To my grandparents, I say lower prices when they ask because they don't like to spend money and they don't understand why I am spending so much money on "toys".

19. I wouldn't say I have friends, just people who know me by name or know I'm from the same area and so on. I don't air it, but I don't air my business period. If they follow my Instagram, then they know I collect dolls. If they are that curious or even nosy about they're cost, then they can easily find out how much they cost by doing a search. I also have sales postings up there, so they can see that and guess how much they are.

20. My in-laws will never know what my dolls cost hahahha... or else they will get a heart attach lol, but they can tell by their look that dolls are expensive so they don't even dare to touch them :XD::mwahaha Other people that come to our house mainly say they were always interested in collecting bjd too, but they know how expensive it is =)