1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you keep the cost of your BJD's from your non BJD friends?

May 21, 2017

1. I told my friends the price of my dolls but not my family because I'm aware that they couldn't accept the fact that I 'wasted' my money on this hobby.

But at some points, I think I shouldn't tell my friends too because they used to say something like 'instead of wasting your money on dolls, you should buy this/that product'. Although some of them were joking, it's still annoying to hear.

2. I don't share the price of things with anyone. Doll collector friends already know anyway.

3. I'm the same way. I was raised to never talk about money. Not how much you have, how much you earn, or how much you spend on anything. So I have one friend who has a general idea of how much things cost and other than that, I would not divulge unless specifically asked. Even then, I tend to give vague and generic figures.

And as @shouie mentioned, talking about the cost tends to open you up to being questioned by others.

4. The friends will figure out at some point, because I only have one social media, and it's for my dolls. So when people find my Instagram, that's what they get, a surprise exposure to BJD, straight to the deep end. lol. I'm pretty open about doll prices there when I buy something new, and in the past I did also post sales occasionally, so it's quite easy to figure out the price range of my dolls if one wants to. It's much harder to get to see them in real life.

5. For the most part, the friends I have who aren't into dolls, are into the tabletop miniatures hobby; and that's not a cheap hobby either. So I don't get any flak from them... That said, I don't typically tell people how much I spent on something unless they specifically ask the cost.

6. I wouldn't outright tell friends how much they cost, because it would probably come across as a cringey humblebrag. Like, "Oh, look how much I can spend on my hobbies..." I think in general, it's best to not bring up the cost of things unless someone specifically asks. The only people who know how much my dolls cost are my mom, husband, and sister. And they don't judge at all.

7. Generally, I won't say how much they cost until someone asks. Although I do occasionally like to step on toes with friends who drop similar amounts on the latest graphics cards and whatnot, each of us go "I could have bought [x] with that instead!"

8. My parents know the cost of them. They'll tease me about it, but I tease them about their hobbies so it's mutual good fun. The only one of my friends who knows the cost is also in the hobby.

9. My parents and friends know that they can range from $100 to thousands, but I'm not sure where on the scale they think mine are. For example I was gushing to my mom about Ringdoll's Hua Cheng and when I pulled out the measuring tape to show her how tall he was, she went "That's a $500 doll isn't it". No mother.... It's not... haha. But I did tell my one friend his exact price and he wasn't surprised by it since I've told him all about what goes into the process of making a bjd.

10. One hundred percent. I try my best not to talk about the price as a lot of my friends aren't in any sort of hobbies at all, so I feel like they'd hardcore judge me for spending so much money lmao