1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you keep the cost of your BJD's from your non BJD friends?

May 21, 2017

1. Like so many people have already said, spending a few hundred on a doll is no different from other people spending a few hundred on designer clothes/their own hobbies/expensive art pieces/etc so I know I shouldn't be so shy about it, but I do keep it hidden from family and friends. I guess dolls aren't really "socially acceptable" enough :sweat

2. The only person I tell about the prices of the dolls are my partner, because we always share our financial situations and since dolls are generally an expensive product I let him know before I order anything. Other than that, I don't tell anyone unless they specifically ask, or I'll give them a vague answer, because generally otherwise people seem to act shocked or even angry that I'd spend money on something 'stupid' like dolls DX Haven't had good experiences telling people

3. Yah, of course my husband knows the full cost because we share fiances. We have our running "allowance" every month, but for big birthdays and anniversary (like our 10 year anniversary is coming up), we tend to go for bigger gifts. He's not into dolls exactly, but he has such a good fashion and coordination eye that I would love for him to design a doll for me! So, he knows roughly how much pieces are, of course, for my favorite makers and artisans!

I am seriously impressed! That is both a huge compliment to your style and your ability to hybrid well and just a really cool, random interaction! I wonder if when he got home, he began to research them for himself :).

4. I don't really tell anyone. I don't ask how much their stuff costs, and they don't ask about mine. We're all adults with our own money. Plus asking how much something costs is kinda rude anyways, unless they're considering purchasing one themselves which is a different story.

5. I only tell a close circle of friends how much some of the dolls I have cost, mostly because they've expressed interest in eventually getting one-- of that group, there's only one that I feel comfortable enough to talk about how much I'm actually spending. Outside of that group I don't talk much about dolls but sometimes I'll post a picture or two on my instagram, but I've never mentioned the cost nor has anyone asked me about it.

To be honest, I find it a bit awkward talking about the cost of things even if they are in the same hobby. I'll only talk about it if people ask me directly, otherwise I'll kinda dodge the question haha. :sweat

The only bit of negativity that I've encountered so far is from my parents who view my doll collecting as being rather childish... But similar to what others have already said, I pointed out that I could have other expensive (and/or more dangerous ) hobbies instead & I'm spending my own money.

6. I tell my friends the cost of my dolls and they are completely cool with it and are still supportive. I mean it is my money after all not theirs lol I don't tell the real cost to my family though because they won't understand. My sister was quite shocked when I slipped about the price of my tiny bjd though x'D

7. I'm actually kind of dealing with this as I'm communicating with my new roommate for this fall. I had to firstly ask her opinion on dolls, perhaps she might even like bjds which would have been fantastic, but she'd never heard of them and didn't understand. Though I could tell she was a little weirded out, I tried to explain how pretty and fun the hobby is. And that's when I stopped myself from saying: "...and they're also very very expensive." I mean, it's understandable since they're detailed works of art. You'd buy a painting for 500+, so what's so strange about pricey art doll. But what would she think? She already isn't very cool with the idea, but since they'll be on my side of the room she doesn't really have a say anyway. I was the nice one to even come out and ask her her opinions on them. So I kind of stopped the conversation with a "I'll let you know what bjd I decide to buy!" Deciding I'd just send her a picture and leave it at that. I doubt she'd ever look it up for prices lol.

8. Aside from family and a few close friends, I keep the cost of my dolls to myself because I had to deal with some unsavory situations before. People like to tell you what you should or shouldn't do with your money even though you're the one working for it.

9. I don't tell other people how much I spend on my food, my clothes, my car, or my electric bill. I don't tell them how much I spend on crafting supplies, music or audiobooks, my only other non-essential expenses. Why on earth would I tell anyone precisely how much my dolls cost?

10. Aaahhh, I get so nervous if anyone tries to ask me how much I spent on something. Generally I'm most comfortable telling my immediate family when I make large purchases, or even my boyfriend. Anybody else though? It just turns into an uncomfortable situation for me. I even shy away from telling my best friend. I just don't really want to share the exact amount because there's always someone that expresses shock and "I can't believe you would pay that much." Sharing just isn't for me. (':

11. Definitely a private person when it comes to discussing the cost of things. It's been my experience that when people are asking about the cost of a thing, it's less that they are genuinely interested in buying it, as it is their way of "assessing your worth." People get really funny when money is a topic. All of a sudden subconscious judgement pops out and it becomes about the other person projecting their values on you. Instead I usually try to suss out the root of their interest. If the person seems genuinely interested in toy collecting then I might give a range along with resources, history, etc. If the person is just being nosey or grabby handed then I let them know the items are one of a kind collectors pieces and that usually conveys the message.

12. My doll is still in the making, but I've already decided to just say "a lot" if they ask how much she cost. And if they ask more details, I'll just tell them the price range for bjds in general or say they cost a couple of hundreds. I have many friends who are in the anime/manga/cosplay/convention world, so I think many of them are already in the know about the price tags.
      If a friend of mine, who's in the hobby or is interested in getting a doll, asks about the cost, I don't mind telling them since they won't be surprised or shocked to know. : p

13. I guess I've been in enough "random" hobbies that this doesn't really bother me. Someone wants to know how much I spent on my doll? I'll flat out tell em. I'm a big girl who budgeted and saved till I could afford something, no shame in my game. If I got it second hand I've even mentioned that it was a discounted price. Then again, if someone is seeing my dolls I'll either be taking them to a convention, a group, etc focused around dolls or they'll be in my house. I think between the limited edition video game memorabilia, my collection of Manga (well over 10K worth of books if they're all out on the shelves, some are still boxed right now), and my husband's collection of warhammer miniatures for table top gaming they should be expecting something a bit nerdy/odd if they're not into weird things.

I think part of getting rid of the stigma behind being a grown person collecting dolls, is to stop treating it like its a stigma. If I chose to collect dolls and play/work/dress/design for them as a creative outlet that is my decision. No stranger/friend/family is going to make me feel less about it. I would be afraid not to tell someone how much they were if they showed interest or wanted to touch them. I've had first editions/prints/limited items before that ended up destroyed because I didn't stress how important/expensive/rare it was or what it meant to me. I don't go out of my way, if someone's just looking at one of my dolls I don't blurt out "That was 700 dollars plus shipping!" but I have no problem letting someone know if they asked the price.

When I first stumbled into this hobby I saw someone's bjd at a convention, I loved the size/scale and thought that would be easier for me to make things for. I had previously enjoyed tinkering/creating for doll houses...but the scale was so small I found it hard to do a lot of what I wanted. She told me the doll only cost a few hundred dollars new from the shop, I thought it was a great price and couldn't wait to jump into the hobby and buy a doll. I had fallen in love with one of her sculpts (Soom Onyx) and she talked as if the doll was something I could just pick up from the store, didn't even mention it was limited. Imagine my heartbreak when I find out, not only is the doll three times what she told me, but it was (still is) a limited sculpt and at the time, saving up the 6-7 hundred dollars wasn't going to happen. While I probably still would have gotten into the hobby, it definitely left a bad taste in my mouth when I discovered the truth about pricing.

14. If someone seems interested in my dolls (I've had a few "Omg so cuuuuute where did you get it???" from guests towards my yosds) I'm pretty quick to tell them at least a rough idea of the price. People usually think they're like barbies or something and they can just pick them up on amazon. I'm also just as quick to tell them about recasts and why they should in fact be suspicious of any extremely low prices.

If someone doesn't express any interest in looking into them more though, what my dolls cost is my info and my info only.

15. Only my close friends know how much I spend on dolls. They are very understanding since they also have their own expensive hobbies, so we basically spend the same kind of money on different things. My family knows they are expensive but they probably think dolls costs about the same price as sone of my anime figures or pullips. Woops. ^^'

16. Thanks for everyone who followed up, for whatever reason, I stopped getting notifications for the thread.
      @errinreynolds I started off in doll house (1/12 to be specific) and always focused on props, never the actually inhibitor. I saw BJD's for a long time before realizing what they were, and I fell in love with them. After a panel at MTAC, I was very much smitten with them. I had already bought quite a few artisan plushies at that time, so I don't think I got the same sticker shock. BUT, I didn't know about how limited everything was. I happened to find a doll I really loved, and it was actively being sold, but I didn't see the "sale period" part of it. I missed out on, and always kick myself for it. I can't seem to find it second hand either! Ironically, it was a fairyland doll, which I hardly ever look at now.

It's also interesting what you said about stigma, I treat depression and other "taboo" topics the same way. I talk very openly about it and never hesitate, so that in case someone needed that conversation. I have had people come up to me and they talk to me about their depression as a result. I don't know why I didn't approach fringe hobbies the same way. Thanks for setting me straight, haha.

17. I find it super interesting that you mention taboo topics like depression and such. The amusing ting to me is that I'm open about my personality disorder and my anxiety disorder and the meds Im on, Im open about my sexuality, which can be rather taboo to a lot of people, but for some reason I can never seem to be that open with BJD prices.

18. I think thats what makes them a 'grail' doll ultrapandachan! I'll be rooting for you to find her, I know the pain. Usually the only Onyx I've seen around here are grey skinned, on other sites they're 95% chances of recasts (which I won't touch) or a few that have been modded and no longer look like the face I fell in love with.

I just want to mention, I'm not saying that anyone who approaches prices differently is wrong, or that 'my way' is the right way. Everyone has their own preferences and ways of handling things and I do respect that. Its just easier for me to be out there, in the open. I'm blunt...about pretty much everything really. I know when to put on my kid gloves but its easier just to be honest and never have to worry about it.

19. @Chameleon I am also open about my sex life/preference, and my love of tattoos and body piercing. I guess I am squeamish around prices in general though, now that I'm looking at it. I feel a lot of judgement from money related things. Moreso from my own hobbies, but that's more to do with my self worth :XD:
      @errinreynolds Surprisingly enough, she's not a grail for me, just a missed opportunity .Luts Yul was a grail (at the time, there wasn't many of her centaur bodies hanging around). I'm super happy that Luts decided to re-release her, and re-release her in honey (I am gonna probably buy that, no regrets).:o