1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you keep the cost of your BJD's from your non BJD friends?

May 21, 2017

1. Nope! When family asks I just say "too much". They would not understand it at all.

2. In general, when anyone asks me how much something costs, I just tell them it's less than *insert item* they own. For example, If I buy a pair of $10 BJD eyes, and then someone I know asks, I tell them it costs less than the pizza they ordered. If I were to buy a BJD for, let's say $250, I say it costs less than that new Nintendo Switch they bought. It's an easy way to tell them it's none of their business while also making them question how much they spend on their own purchases.

3. Maybe this is another one of those "generational things" that works differently for us Geezers, but honestly? Nope. I don't share that information. It's none of my friends' damned business how much I spend on my hobbies, and they're all polite enough to KNOW THAT.

The price paid for something just isn't a subject that comes up very often for any of us... I didn't ask Cyrus how much his snazzy new golf clubs cost. Elisa has never mentioned how much she and Mr. E spent on their boat, and aside from occasional shared high-fives over finding something on a ReallyEpicSale, no one ever quizzes the gang's resident fashionistas on the cost of their wardrobes or purse collections. Why would the price of my dolls be any more open to scrutiny than Mel's Burberry addiction? :lol:

There *is* one sort-of-exception to that generalization, but it's a pretty rare one... If someone is curious about getting into the hobby or buying one of the dolls for themselves or as a gift, the general range of prices for various types is definitely a part of my "Standard Intro to BJDs" talk. I'm never going to go into detail about exactly what I paid for any of my own dolls, but I'll give them an honest ballpark figure for dolls "like Shonokin and Horace" or "from the company that made Madison" or "around Aku's size".

#43 Brightfires, May 31, 2017
      Last edited: May 31, 2017
    4. My family know how much I paid. I only have 2 friends who know about my dolls, neither are interested they just know they exist, but neither know the price , not because I don't want them to know but it just hasn't come up because they really don't care XD.

#44 TheSecretRoman, Jun 2, 2017
      Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
    5. I definitely share how much they cost. Most of my friends don't really understand the hobby and consider them toys. When I try to be vague about prices they ask why I would pay so much for a plastic toy. I'd rather tell them the full price (as well as the fact that they're not plastic) and have freak out about prices than insult the hobby. I also have friends in other expensive hobbies, so it's not that big of a deal to them.

6. I do feel like others with expensive hobbies get it. They may not like doll collecting, but I get less flake from others that drop a lot on their hobbies.

7. My best friend is a shoe person. She has a toddler son (2 in November), and is expecting another boy in a few months, and both of them have shoe collections worth about the same as one of my dolls.
      To be precise, her unborn baby has multiple pairs of shoes worth $75 each, at least.

If she can do this because it makes her happy, if people can spend hundreds or thousands of dollars for figurines and collectible objects that will never be taken out of the BOX, let alone actively interacted with in so many artistic and expressive hobbyist ways on a daily basis, why can't we collect dolls for whatever they cost?

People are incredibly nosy and judgemental about things that have absolutely nothing to do with them. It's an intrinsic societal flaw that we all experience in one way or another at some point. It sucks. In the moment of being judgy, they're being an a**hole, and all we can do is respectfully explain and leave it at that and if the matter is pressed, ignore it and remind yourself that they're just being.. well, you get the idea.

Basically, don't be ashamed of how much your dolls cost, but you also don't have to shove them in people's faces and tout their value (like many 'normal people' can be seen doing with clothes, purses, shoes, tech, cars, etc.) to enjoy them. I guess other people should be reminded of that as well >_>

8. If asked, I just say they're "expensive" or my "one big indulgence."

Money matters always feel too private to me to share. No one needs to know what I spend on a doll, just like they don't need to know what I spend on groceries or my house payment.

9. That's interesting that you mention groceries or house payments! I actually compare with my siblings and my friends on those to compare cost of living in different parts of the country. We are all military or military spouses, so I guess that overrides the taboo of it! Another thing we often compare (especially neighbors) are our utilities bill. I know co-workers in the past actually started to compare salaries because unless people do that, the company really has all of the power in setting wages.

10. I don't keep it a secret. The biggest problem is, they assume every doll costs the same. I often defend my purchases in sharing the fact that I work my way into getting deals. I order direct from company usually only during events where I can get something for free. (Most recently, 2 free faceups from Luts). I've purchased only heads to try and find cheaper bodies, etc. I try to keep all dolls I purchase under 400 for SDs, under 300 for MSDs. It doesn't always pan out, but I get pretty damn close! (Granted, this is not including clothing, eyes, wigs..)

11. sometimes I do, but my fiends are also into hobbies that can get expensive so they understand! i also try to break down why the items are so expensive to begin with (crafting material ect).

12. I will tell someone if they ask. The are about I live in is very known for its arts crafts photography opportunities and such. There are a lot of artists and stuff here so when I am asked about dolls it is usually by them! With my old dolls I had quite a few photographers seeing me taking pictures who asked if I minded they did which was kind of cool.

I wouldn't dare tell my mom, I don't talk to her anymore really but if she ever found out she'd be so mad :') my dad knows because I had to quit my job and he's helping me pay off what was the left on my layaway which is really nice.. I have another friend who is actually pretty interested in BJDs! He doesn't want one himself but he always asks about them and sometimes will send me pictures or clothes he thinks are cool or whatever so he does know too :)

There are people I wouldn't tell. Or just mention that they cost a lot rather than exactly how much.. they're guess for a lot is probably lower than what my bjds actually cost anyways :')

13. Only my family and close friends know, and even then they don't really care. My family just does the "It's your money, do what you want with it" approach. My mother thinks they are beautiful and understands the expense of doll collecting as she wanted to get into it herself when she was younger. My friends think BJD's are cool and were interested in getting one, until I told them the price of one :XD: even then they are still respectful and don't say anything negative about it how much money I spend/intend to spend on it.

14. The very first time I brought up BJD's and their prices, my mother was confused as to why I would spend all that money on a doll. But after explaining it a little more, she was fine with it. I don't really discuss the prices of the dolls I plan to buy, though. It's easier that way; I don't want to defend my actions all the time. :daisy

15. OMG yes! They would look at me weird and be disgusted that i was spending so much on "toys" instead of being an adult and using that money for branded goods. It's hilarious actually.

16. I breed hedgehogs as another hobby, and my friends think I am half crazy for the cost of new breeding stock. I have not told them the cost of my new hobby. I very likely won't.

17. My boyfriend knows all about it, I think it's best to be open about the amount of money we both spend on things in order to work better together later on as well, especially as we're about to get a place together as well. My friends heard some rough amounts, and I think that if they're good friends, they should accept it. They don't have to like it, or think it's worth for themselves, but as long as they see it's worth it for you, it's fine. I believe a true friend should be able to accept your likings and preferences towards where your well-earned money goes. As mentioned by some others, some buy shoes, other cars, others dolls. It's not weird to have a preference in something else. I asked my dad if he thought it was weird I spent a lot of money on dolls, and he said no, because he recently bought a pinball machine for himself. He said people thought that was weird too, but he liked it, so he wanted to spend his money on it.

18. Aw hedgehogs! I hear they're very stubborn but adorable :).

19. I don't want to tell anyone the cost of my doll after I told my mom and sister. They didn't react that badly (just the "It's way too much money" thing, which is understandable). It's just that when I told them, I realised I felt uncomfortable talking about it. I started to feel guilty (thinking I should have kept the money for something more useful), it feels like I'm bragging even though I'm not, BJD price will always sound enormous when you're not familiar with the hobby, ect. So, unless people ask me directly the cost, I won't say anything (and even then I'm not sure I would).

20. It depends. I have a couple of BFFs who know generally how much my dolls cost, but one of them collects perfume, so she totally gets it, and the other one is heavily into anime fandom and related geekery, so she also wasn't surprised. On the other hand, if someone I'm just chatting to on friendly terms asks, I don't drop the price right off the bat unless I'm pressed.