1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you keep the cost of your BJD's from your non BJD friends?

May 21, 2017

1. I have never told anyone, but if they ask I would say what most others are. IT is my money and I will spend it how I want. There are different hobbies, and I would rather spend my money on this rather than makeup or cars.

2. I told my coworkers at work how much one cost and got made fun of, it was just unpleasant. So now when people ask I just say I'm uncomfortable talking about money. I feel like its looked down on. But honestly the same people making fun on spending money on dollies are going out to the mall and dropping a few hundred a week on clothing.

3. Granted I don't have many people to talk to in RL, but one guy I talked to seemed shocked at the price, even as he talked about how much he was spending on a custom computer setup. So eh, whatever. Honestly the nicest thing about being an adult is that you don't have to give a damn about what others think as long as you aren't beholden to them.

4. This thread has really made me realize that I don't talk to anyone about my dolls (on-topic and otherwise!)

When I first started in this hobby, I clashed a bit with my husband -- he just didn't see the point of them. But he has his own expensive hobbies that I feel the same way about, and we've reached a sort of stalemate where we both try to restrain ourselves while still being understanding with each other's spending on hobbies.

But I've never talked specifically about BJDs to anyone else in my family or set of friends. They are all, to the very last one, completely uninterested in toys generally and dolls specifically. And while they know that I collect toys/dolls, their lack of interest means I have no motivation to share. So it's entirely likely that they don't even know what BJD are, and they definitely don't know how much these cost. In addition, many of these people (who I love dearly!) are incredibly tight-fisted people who don't spend any money at all if they can avoid it, and would really be shocked and appalled at what I'm willing to spend on a doll.

So yeah, I guess I do keep the cost of my BJDs from my friends, but mostly because I'm apparently keeping the very existence of my BJDs from them, too!

5. It depends. In general I don't tell anybody how much I have paid on my house, my car, my phone or my clothes. So I don't tell what my dolls cost.

I know people that are quite rude in their comments when it comes to spending money. They have really strong opinions on things and they think that if they don't like something no- one else should. If they don't like amusementparks it is waste of money going there with you kids. They tell you you are fool when you buy CD's of you favourite bands because you could listen to music for free from Spotify of Youtube and save the money for things that are more appropriate for you age. So I don't tell those kind of people how much I have paid for my dolls.

Then there are people who are not into BJD's but they have their own collections of things. Be it old cars, toys, comicbooks, postcards, you name it. To them you can talk about the cost of dolls and their clothes. They order things from other side of the world and understand the waiting, feel your pain when you have to pay 24% customs and so on.

6. Normally I didn't tell anyone... Except my boyfriend or fellow hobbyist.. because in my position, they like to judge me a lot ^^"
      some of my friends search for the prices and keep "teasing" me.. It feel kinda bad you know :') I'm kinda sad of their judgement

7. I honestly feel the same... it's so hard for me to tell people how much they cost. My husband was accepting of it, but I know that he definitely thinks they are too expensive. His friend came over once and said they were really creepy and didn't understand why I would pay so much for them. That made me feel really bad. But there are a lot of things that people buy that are more expensive like for example spending $150 on a cardigan or a jacket for $400 etc. and those things will degrade over time. A well-cared for BJD will be there for years to come. I think it's fine to spend money on them (and I have spent a lot on other things like anime figures and stuff) because it is what I am interested in.

8. I tell half truths about prices, like sometimes I'll admit what a body cost but not admit that the faceup cost an arm and a leg as well. But my friends are pretty cool because they have expensive fantasy-based hobbies as well so they're not judgemental. I also tell half-truths to my family especially because I'm between jobs at the moment, which is fine because I have savings but I don't want them to act like I'm being irresponsible.

9. I've never told anyone how much I've spent on my bjd. I am over 21 but I still don't tell my mom how much I spend of my doll. I don't even tell my friends. I did tell one of my friends how much on average a bjd would cost because he is getting interested in to hobby, but I didn't tell him how much I spent on my doll.

10. If they are actually curious and I trust them, I'll tell them. If they're someone I don't know well, I just say I'm not comfortable talking about money to someone I don't know well. Works most of the time.

11. I don't bring it up and if someone asks, I say "I don't remember but it wasn't too bad".

12. Yeah everyone usually freaks out at me for spending so much on dolls... but hey... to each their own. I love dolls, it's fun to me :)

13. No, i dont mention it, the first ever face up i did on my resinsoul mei, they tought it looke like chucky...
      Defintely not a commen i was searching for ...lol...
      But no, i agree with other commends, people spend easely a lot of money on the newest phone,
      I spend it on a new minifee head....

14. I don’t really tell anyone how much they cost because no one really cared to ask :/
      Anyway I have seen people who spend much more money on their hobbies than me (expensive action figures, camera, audios, etc..) so I don’t feel that uncomfortable.

15. I tell my sister how much things cost. But with my dad... oh man. He’ll ask me how much a shirt cost for my doll or how much the doll itself costs and my go to answers are “I don’t know” or “i don’t remember”. I know if I tell him he’ll make a big deal about it and it’ll just make me feel bad

16. Depends on who is asking :XD: I don't necessarily hide the price, but if I feel the person will be judgemental I won't divulge the cost. I don't need that kind of drama.

17. I don't even like remembering how much my dolls cost (LMAO I have a problem) :chomp::XD: Honestly, it's nobody's business but your own. My best friend is in the hobby with me, we collect dolls from the same companies, and we buy similar items (clothes, wigs, etc), so she and I talk prices all the time, because we know that we're not gonna judge each other over it. I made the mistake of telling my mom how much one of my girls cost early on, and I've never made that mistake again, lol. I get it that to someone outside of the hobby, or for someone who finds dolls creepy, or anyone who doesn't fathom the artistry and craftsmanship that goes into producing BJDs, the cost seems astronomical, but I don't intrude on their hobbies/spending habits, and I will clap back at anyone who comes for mine.
      Basically don't stress about it and don't let anyone make you feel weird about it. If you're allotting your money to something you enjoy, you're not hurting them.

18. I always tell them the real price and they never judged me. So lucky I have them! They r the best!

19. I do hide the cost... I guess I don' want people to think I'm "wasting" money or somthing. I love it, so who cares, it's my choice, but I still hide it...

20. Yes, I keep the costs confidential from my non-BJD friends as I don't think it's necessary to bring up. Unless they're genuinely curious about BJDs, I'll tell them if they ask, but otherwise it's kept hidden.