1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you keep the cost of your BJD's from your non BJD friends?

May 21, 2017

1. I keep my dolls from my non-doll friends, period. This includes price. There's just honestly no good reason for anyone to know what they cost unless they themselves are actually interested in BJDs.

2. The only person who knows about my doll hobby that knows me personally is my boyfriend, and I've sent him links to dolls I want and he has commented before on them being expensive, but he never discourages me from getting them because he knows I'm not the type to over-spend or live out of my means. Every doll I've looked at is base-price under 300 dollars (which for MSD's is pretty rad), and I'm always looking on secondhand sales groups and such, just in case. Plus, I'm also patient for sales! Instead of getting presents this year for Christmas and my birthday, I used the money I got to buy my first two dolls, and I had just enough to pay for them both plus shipping. I just got out of college and will be starting the hunt for a job soon, plus I have some former hobby things to sell to get more money for both my savings and my doll hobby. When my family finds out about my dolls, I honestly don't think I'll tell them how much they were, even if they ask. It was my money, which was given to me in lieu of a gift, so I gifted myself something I've wanted for about 8 years now. If they don't like it, oh well.

3. Only one or two people even know about my doll. I think I've only told one of those two the costs and that's because they seemed interested in the hobby.

4. I have a had time even telling people about the hobby let alone telling them the price. My friends and family know how much they cost but they always give me negative feedback like stop buying them, it's a waste of money, you should have stopped at three you didn't need more... blah blah blah. Lol.

5. I don't advertise my hobby very much at all, and if I talk to "strangers" (people outside my family or immediate group of friends) about the dolls I'll be very vague. "BJDs may cost up to hundreds of euros" or something like that.

My dad was very shocked when I told him the price of my iplelady - I paid close to a 1000€ for her. But after a while he concluded the situation by saying that we all have to have a hobby or another that will suck all the money from our bank account.

6. I tiptoe around the price around my parents and non-doll people-- "Yeah, they're fancy." Flat out, I won't tell them, and they're not going to know unless they see a receipt somehow. Only my best friend has a close idea of the actual figures, and I still breathed a sigh of relief when she couldn't see my newest doll's product page on mobile.

It's more of a guilt thing-- I feel sometimes like I should keep the money for things like bills and stuff. But, it's not like it's keeping me from paying for the important stuff. I'm not hurting myself or anybody else by buying BJDs, so I think I have free reign to do what I want with the money that I earn.

7. Hmm...I tell no one the cost of my bjds, just as I don't discuss how much my jewelry is worth (not much), or how much cash I keep in the house (none). There's a saying that boils down to: once 2 people know a secret, it's not a secret. My family tells everyone everything. They don't mean any harm, but I can't guarantee who's overhearing them or looking at their social media.
      If you need a response to people who ask, I recommend: "They're not kids' toys." and/or "They're not cheap." If you are pressed for more, smile and repeat. :)

8. I never tell my mum or family the real price of my dolls! As for non doll friends, i shocked them by by revealing the actual price and they always replied with i shouldnt waste $$ etc

9. My boyfriend asks how much, but I usually tell him less than the actual price... (Even then he thought it was "too much.") I never ask how much his hobby stuff costs. And I know it's expensive. I kind of wish he'd do the same for me. Seems fair that if I don't ask him... he doesn't ask me. It doesn't get in the way of paying bills so I don't see why it matters. My mom often has asked how much they cost me as well. Again... I don't tell the truth. Because I know judgment would rain down on me. I probably wouldn't mind telling my friends though. They just don't seem to show any interest.

10. So much judgment on cost, isn't there?
      Please consider making this a formal agreement: either you both discuss your hobby expenditures or you both don't ask. You can initiate a conversation about this anytime you're ready.
      I'm wishing you all good things in the future.

11. There really is a lot of judgment! A lot of people take the attitude that it's not "important" or "interesting" to them so they find it useless spending. I also hear a lot from people (outside of my family- coworkers and stuff) that they are "creepy." I can see that making an agreement like that would be useful. I mean, I know he spends a lot on his hobbies because he's into tech stuff. He recently purchased a VR setup. I never hassled him about it. I need to sit down with him and have a talk about it. Because it really is something that has been bothering me for quite some time.
      Thank you! I wish the same to you.

12. If someone asks then I’ll tell them. it doesn’t bother me when someone rants about how much they are. It’s what I want to spend my money on and it makes me happy so as long as It’s not getting to the point where I’m broke all the time, there shouldn’t be a problem.

13. If my friends ask, I tell them. They mostly always comment on the price, but I remind them that I just use the money that they use at bars on dolls, lol.

14. I show them enchanted doll past auctions and make them think i paid thousands of dollars for one haha

My sister collects them so i cant lie to my family but my friend thinks i spent mad money on my doll and i intend to let him think that because it is funny to me

15. i love that, hahah, make it go the other way, MORE EXTREME!!! *makes it rain*

16. I keep the actual cost a secret for the most part because I don't want them to get stolen, but I say that they're valuable and important to me so that nothing bad happens to them *_*

17. I don't see why BJDs are more useless than, say, owning over 100 pairs of earrings or shoes. Or a stupidly expensive car when a cheap one gets you there just as efficiently. Or a top-of-the-trees computer with three screens...
      In other words: it's your money, spend it as you like as long as you don't over-spend and have the electricity cut off, it's nobody's business but your own (and your spouse and children, if you have them - mine are a bit particular about having food and such...)

18. Personally, I feel like some people find dolls to be a "useless" hobby since all they do there is "sit there and look pretty"? Which is why people tend to understand spending thousands on branded goods more than spending hundreds/thousands on BJDs. But most of the time people don't really ask, they just comment on the doll and leave it be. But most of my close friends know, and they don't judge me for it as it should be! :) But whenever someone says something along the lines of it's so expensive! I just tell them that it's not their money anyway ;)

19. I rarely talk about cost of things I own, including dolls. I feel that it is unnecessary to mention how much my apartment/car/bag/doll cost to people. If someone is asking, I'm saying that I forgot how much I bought it for. I mean, my boyfriend and close family know about my spendings because most of the time I am asking for an advice. But other than that I don't think it's anyone's business to know how exactly I utilize my own money.

20. My husband and mom both know but other than that I don't mention the prices of these things much! Sometimes even to them I understate it a little!