1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you leave your dolls clothed for display? Staining?

Jul 28, 2018

1. I keep mine in her box. I’m worried she will get damaged when not being admired. (Plus I have a cat that likes to push things over). As for clothes, she wears her default white slip, undies, and socks from Volks. I left some black socks on her once that stained her foot and upper thigh. I guess that incident left me feeling a little paranoid about putting her in dyed fabrics...

2. I leave my dolls clothed. Some have been wearing the same black pants for years and I haven't had any staining problems so far. The only thing I will not keep on are doll wigs with a dark inner cap. Although the staining was removable, I would rather avoid having to scrub any part of a doll head while attempting to avoid damaging a faceup in the process.

3. My dolls are always clothed. I only remember one case of staining, and the stains would easily come off with a magic eraser. Dark wigs are much worse than clothes …

4. Well my dolls are also being displayed fully dressed but I always take care that the clothing has white lining underneath or I wash it thoroughly beforehand.
      So far none of my dolls have any kind of stains on their body! But my one vinyl doll is always wearing her bodysuit to prevent staining just in case.

5. Mine are dressed and displayed all the time - I've had only one insance of staining. A pair pf purple velvet britches I made for my first BJD, thirteen years ago (which he wears cotton tights underneath if I put him into these days) shed colour into his thighs and knees, but the staining was only on the surface and came right off with detergeant and some magic sponge.

A couple of them have staining around under the hairline where their wigs-caps touch their heads beyond the edge of the silicone cap. It could be cleaned off but I don't see the point - it's under the wig so is only ever seen if I take the wig off for any reason and it would likely happen again if I did clean it off. It isn't visible in the ormal course of play so it doesn't bother me.

I'd have to remove it if I were ever to sell those dolls on, of course, but there's no point in doing it until that particular situation crops up.

Teddy

6. My dolls are always clothed, and I haven't had any staining yet that rubbing alcohol or a magic eraser couldn't remove.

7. I am pretty protective of my dolls. I'm always afraid of them getting damaged or stained. I keep them in their box either naked or wearing white undergarments.

8. I keep my dolls displayed in their clothes, and have had some issues with staining. One of my boys in particular is stained really bad, and I'm pretty sure it's permanent, because no amount of scrubbing with a magic sponge has removed it.
      However, the staining doesn't really bother me. This may sound stupid or sappy, but I feel like the stains are a sign that the doll has been loved and appreciated. I have a rather wabi-sabi outlook when it comes to beauty, so I don't necessarily need things to be pristine all the time.

9. My dolls are always clothed, but I've only had one incidence of clothing causing staining on a resin doll (and actually only one of an off-topic vinyl as well). Considering that at one point I had 30 BJDs in storage with clothes on (and a similar number of off-topic ones), I consider that a risk I'm willing to take.

That said, I have had five instances of wigs causing staining. And while that's easy enough to hide, I did start storing my dolls with their wigs off when I realized that.

10. Mine are left clothed, with my boy in his black jeans. Whenever I do undress them, I usually clean off any staining with a magic eraser. My girl, I've found, struggles to sit in pants, so she may need some skirts and/or dresses in order to sit 'comfortably'. Therefore, at the moment, she's sitting with no pants on. Saying that, she's waiting on her head to be returned from the face-up artist, so she's pretty incomplete right now. Quite the picture alongside her near-enough complete boyfriend... :doh

11. If its not for a project shoot that week, the vinyls are always wearing light color clothes. They tend to wear bodysuits under dark clothing since I get lazy changing clothes and sometimes leave them in an outfit for three months..

The resins are dressed in a mix of dark and light clothing and always out on display. Thankfully stains are minimal so far.

12. I keep them dress all the time, you just need to test the material on the resin to make sure it won't stain it first.

13. My dolls (all of them resin) spend half of their time in their boxes, they are now too many to have them all on display all the time.

When my dolls are on display, they wear clothes, sometimes for months. If I display them in dark clothing, I check for stains regularly and so far had no problems. If there ever was staining, it was removable.

When they are in their box, I take their clothes and wigs off.

14. I leave my dolls clothed at all times, usually they don't get stained but I periodically change their clothes and check for stains to ensure it won't become permanent :)

15. I keep some of my dolls clothed for display, but not in clothes that may stained them. The others are stored nude in their boxes.

16. I worry about this so much, especially with the vinyl Dollfie Dreams. The resin I’m not too concerned - just keep checking any dark colored clothes against their skin once a week. But the DDs...they’re practically all in white all the time when on display. :XD:

17. Mine stays clothed! I’m only mildly concerned about staining because he has some sealant on his legs and other places where it could happen, and his clothes also aren’t too dark.

18. Mine are always dressed and usually on stands displayed in my room. I'm not to worried about my resin dolls staining but I make sure to dress my DD's up in stuff that doesn't stain.

19. The dolls I have clothes for, I leave them fully dressed all the time. There was one doll whose blue jeans did taint his legs, but I was able to wash them clean with one of those Mr. Clean Magic Erasers. I think it was just those jeans and not that the doll easily takes on dyes...

The only problem I've had is that I left the same pair of eyes in a doll's head for...wow...many years. I went to change them one time and the backs of the eyes had splintered and cracked! I think someone told me it was due to the type of putty I was using but I can't remember. I was using whatever Dollmore sends you cause it seems to stick the best. Or maybe they told me Dollmore makes cheap eyes that tend to crack with time? I forget now.

20. I keep my dolls clothed... in black clothes and wigs and shoes, often! I HAVE had some staining problems, but not always. So far, Mr. Super Clean sponges have worked, so I haven't been too worried.