1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you like the idea of "limited" dolls?

Jul 2, 2009

1. I personally don't really mind limited edition dolls? It gives the owner a sense of pride when they own a doll that only few people can get and they are equally as gorgeous. The beauty in them also comes from their "limitedness" I guess. It also shows that life isn't fair and that's valuable in itself.

2. I don't mind it since I understand a lot of work goes into making dolls so it would be difficult for the company to release all of them not-limited. I think it also allows them to to be even more special and unique for the owners. The only problem I have is when the the vast majority of releases from a company are limited and they hardly have any basic dolls. I mean I understand it, but it feels frustrating sometimes.

3. I do!
      If you have one you feel special
      totally sucks if a limited is your grail and you will prolly never get it... :c
      however, Some are lucky and find one anyway!

4. I do not approve of, as well as those limited outfits I can never get.

5. I would definitely have to agree that limited dolls aren't necessarily a great thing. I wasn't in the place to put the doll I currently have on layaway, but I took the chance because it was the perfect representation of an original character I have (and have been wanting to bring to life through a doll). It's frustrating to see dolls that you really want being temporarily sold, because even if someone sells them secondhand one day, it's just not the same.

At the same time, it's understandable that the company probably makes a good amount of money with their "limited" dolls. But, sometimes it really doesn't seem fair.

6. I am not keen. My purse is happy with it though. I like 'limited dolls' when it means they are re-released sometimes later with a better body, better parts etc...

7. I think that "Limited Dolls" are called that in order to promote special attention to the maker or the doll itself. Generally, there is a serious price tag attached and chances are there's not really anything special about the doll other than it's limited. It's just a sales gimmick and not worth getting overly excited about it.. Eventually, like most dolls, it will hit the secondary market.

8. I don't care too much for the limited part since most of the time I want the doll and don't have money at the time! D: Thankfully I managed to snatch up one limited dolly so far! c: I do agree that they will eventually hit the secondary market but the ones I've seen hit are the same price as the company or sometimes more. So, I'd much rather buy it the first time.

9. I can see why limited runs on dolls are done, maybe it's a new sculpt they are trying out, or they're getting some attention to their doll line with the special, but I don't really like it. The money thing is definitely a factor, I might not have the funds ready for the time period they are taking orders or the cost may be higher than a regular release.

Echoing what others have said, once in the secondary market they can go for even more than the original price from the company.

10. I like the idea of releasing limited dolls, because most of them are well designed as a whole set.
      Even if I couldn't get the limited doll I first wanted, I would start expecting for the next limited... and so on...
      I think it is a good cycle in the doll business and also served as a coherence to all BJD collectors : )

11. I like it because I feel they give the company more of a chance to release more different dolls when they aren't just making the same ones repeatedly. However it does really stink when you just don't have the money at the time or you already have too many dolls on order to get one you really like. It's much nicer when the company offers layaways as well.

12. I like the concept of "limited dolls", however most of the ones I wish I had are almost impossible to get my hands on. If I did ever get a limited doll, for example a Naborro head, it would probably feel very nice to be one of the few people with that exclusive doll. Hopefully, I can eventually access some limited dolls through the marketplace. It's also very lame whenever I find a dream sculpt through flickr or tumblr only to find out its limited and that I've missed out on it already :roll: That happens to me a lot.

13. Haha I like it because it gives me incentive to get the doll. A lot of my dolls were limiteds or limited time offer sales.

Without that urgency of "oh god I can't wait to get it, it'll be gone!!!" I don't really have the incentive to buy it. I feel like I can wait forever if it's a basic doll.

And i'm sure it's a really sound business practice for the doll company.

14. I like the ideas of limited dolls, but I don't necessarily want to own one. I like seeing the varieties and the possibilities the professional, most talented people in the BJD world could come up with. They are often expensive, require quick decision making, and difficult to get replacement parts later.

Just because acquiring something I like is probably too difficult or stressful for me to actually obtain it doesn't mean I don't want it to exist. I would rather admire something I love from afar than having never had a chance to see it.

Also, limited dolls are a great way for creative people to test designs and make innovations happen which is good for us all :)

15. it depends. for full decorated doll with not limited type of doll, i think ok with it. but i don't think it is good idea to sell a certain type of doll for limited. it gradually boosts so called premiums i think.