1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you like the idea of "limited" dolls?

Jul 2, 2009

1. I was told off (politely) by acenit, so it's quite funny to come back to the thread after I say "Oh, ah, I see, you're right, they are valid points" to read all the posts telling me off rudely XD

Do I have to edit my posts or something? I was corrected, and I recognised that. I accept that, unlike you lot, obviously XD. Considering the amount of opinions that have sprung forward contradicting me, can you all now accept that yes, I was in the wrong and we can all get on with our lives.

And I don't hate LE collectors. As I hopefully am about to become one, why would I dislike what I would become? Oh, I must hate myself throughly and oh noes.

2. I didn't notice the post you mentioned, I'm sorry for that.

Personally I don't like editing a post, because replies to it will not make sense to future readers if you do. Besides, you have been quoted many times, so it's possible that people will comment on that, not your newly edited post.
      What I did at one point (after people kept referring to it and kept beating the dead horse) was add one line asking everyone who wanted to comment on what I said there to wait a moment and to continue reading, because I explained myself better later on. Haven't heard any remark on it since.

3. I sadly, have seen this. I knew a girl once who was one...Arg. She was REALLY rude to me, and was trying to convince me her dolls were better than mine because they costed more. No joke, she really said that. She also had told me mine wouldn't survive a day if they met hers, because they'd "rip them to shreads" :| Then, when I found my dream doll, she tried to tell me I couldn't get her because she had her, and I'd be copying -____________________-;;; And that she'd "love" my DoD boy when he got a DoD body, because if he's on a DZ body, she'd "hate" him. When you find one, they're nasty and obnoxious.

I'm pretty sure thats the only one I've meet, but there are prolly more out there...But really, they aren't as many as played up to be.

4. It's not elitism. It's just one really stupid person XD Hilarious! :lol:

5. That's a tough choice because it both has it upsides and downside to having limited dolls, but If I had to pick on whether I like the idea of limited dolls I would say no. The limited dolls are so gorgeous and everyone would loves =D Even though they are kinda pricey, they are definitely worth it =D

6. there are so many objects everywhere that sell on a limited basis...books, collectibles of all kinds, even special editions of dvds! i have felt the anguish of not getting the doll i wanted because it sold out and the mold was broken....but hope springs eternal on the secondary market. besides, there are so many wonderful dolls out there, i bet if you can;t get the one you wanted, in another couple of days you'll see another that's almost just as perfect!

7. Haha, the point is though, she had almost all VOLKS and always used and told me how discusting she found "cheeper" brands and they were all crap basicly xD I love people like that! The bother me so much, but looking back, allllllllllll the stuff she said is just halarious! Kinda in a "grow-up" way xD

8. I love LE's, even though some of them end up giving me really hard time (like right now, because of SD17 Williams lol).
      When ppl say limited, Volks LE's are the first thing that comes to my mind, because I like many (if not most) of their LE sculpts.
      I truely love the idea of having a rare doll that not many ppl get to have.
      But once a particular doll gets re-released three to four times, that sort of puts me off. I think it defeats the idea of "limited".

I like Volks Limited's the most, because you have to be lucky in order to get their limiteds (have to win the lottery in order to be able to buy one).
      For the most of other companies I know (I want to say all, but I'm not so sure so I'll say most >_>), you just need to get on their site quickly and click on the purchase button.
      I also like the feeling you get (like if you've just accomplished something) once you successfully bring a LE doll home.

On the other hand, I understand those who are against the idea of LE dolls, which I think comes from not being able to have one for themselves.
      This is how I'm feeling towards Volks Williams right now, the reason being because I just can't afford to go to Japan (and go on the cruise AND purchase Williams) during school year *lol*

9. I hope all dolly lover can have the doll they want. I dont like the idea of limited!

10. I dont like the fact of having dolls being limited. I think if they Are not limited they would be cheaper to. I really whant Volk's Suigintou. does any one know how tall she is?

11. Sorry if I repeat any points made earlier. -laughs- I haven't read the entire thread yet, I just feel like adding my opinion.

I've got no problem with limiteds and, in a way, respect them because they allow doll makers to go all-out with a sculpt. For some limiteds, like the Soom monthlies or the Rosette doll limiteds, it wouldn't bee to feasible to ALWAYS have them available simply because of the detail that goes into them (sculpt-detail for Soom MDs, outfit detail for the Rosette girls)- that kind of detail is much more manageable in smaller quantities. A doll company may want to go all-out on a doll, but know they couldn't keep it continually in production- that's what a limited is for. Or a special even limited, like the one Luts is doing for the 5th anniversary- I much prefer it when there's a rationale for making a doll limited, or you go the route of Iplehouse- I like that they have their limited Noctarcana Circus, but then release basic versions sans the outfits, tans, and face-up. It keeps the limited unique while letting anyone who wants to get the sculpt, at least.

Some limiteds I think have no reason to be limited other than scarcity value and the thrill of having a '1 in 50' or so doll, and those kind of annoy me, but I don't have any objection to that- it's the company's choice, ultimately. While limiteds may frustrate us because we miss out on some of the sculpts we want, remember, if there weren't limiteds odds are that sculpt wouldn't exist (or wouldn't exist in its completion), and it's better to be able to look at other people's pictures than not have the doll exist, period.

EDIT: Ah, surreality beat me to the bulk of my point. n_n Glad to see I'm not the only one that thinks this way!

12. .
      LOL, oh you are so right! Some of us who have LE's (or Uniques) scraped up that money and have very little else of such value (for example, i have zero Manga, go to the library for books and videos, don't own a cell phone, don't have cable, don't buy CDs etc.) but I *do* have a few LE dolls. Other than my car, I really don't have a lot of expensive "stuff". Some of my LEs are Pipos which are not terribly expensive which is nice, and I got them because they had wonderful faceups and sweet little outfits ;)

I have to say that there is a small little part of me that likes LEs or Uniques because they are rare - but I have both common and LE dolls and I can't say that it's a predictor of what I'll wind up likeing best in the long run. Maybe something being Limited adds another layer of appreciation to something? My basic Sia is common as dirt and i love her. My Unique Sia is one of a kind and i love her just the same. However, it is a pretty human sort of thing, to appreciate things more when they are hard-won ...

-Jola

13. I know what you mean. Seeing your dream doll...but it being limited and not having the money for it. Personally I dont care if 50000000 people have the same doll as me. as long as i love it its all that matters. I wouldn't say the idea of limited dolls are a bad , but its definitely frustrating when you see a limited doll you would love to have but you only have like 10 days to buy. I missed out on DOT Delphine that way. :'(

14. While this (thankfully!) is true of the majority of collectors, I have indeed run across a rare case or two of elitism. It's never been outright declarations of "OMG your standard dolls aren't nearly as awesome as my limited ones", but it's shows as a general attitude more than direct statements. I've also only seen it in person or at meetups, not on DoA. And it's always been more company-based than it is Limited vs Standard. Even then, it's usually those who perceive themselves as socially "lower" disdaining those who are "higher", not the other way around. (Such as collectors of less expensive BJDs disdaining those who enjoy collecting Volks dolls.)

In the end, the more I think about the issue, I realize it's less "limiteds vs. non-limiteds" as it is the tendency of any society or subset of society to unite and divide itself. Uniting with people of similar attributes, and to separate from those who are unlike you (not necessarily in a disdainful way, but just that you don't socialize as much because you share fewer specific interests). There are lots of doll "factions" like this, such as those who prefer boy dolls or those who prefer girl dolls. Those who prefer bigger dolls or those who prefer tinies. Those who prefer Japanese BJDs, or Korean BJDs, or Chinese BJDs. We all enjoy dolls, but once we've grouped ourselves as BJD collectors, it's natural to seek out others who have similar specific tastes.

Example: I love my Beryl, and I feel very lucky to have her. But I enjoy the sculpt so much that I like seeing what others have done with her. In doing so, I have built a camaraderie with a few other Beryl owners. It doesn't mean I feel like we're any better than than those who don't own a Beryl... we're just sharing a common interest. But to someone who really wants a Beryl but does not own one, they may perceive it as some sort of exclusive clique.

So I think a lot of times, people misconstrue others grouping together as a judgment on their own collecting. This came up in the old "Elitism in the BJD hobby" debate... perceived elitism and assumptions are much more common than actual elitism. "Oh, they must not like me because my doll is standard/cheaper than theirs", as mentioned in the first paragraph.

15. A little off topic, but you have to realize how many people are carrying AUTHENTIC Louis Vuitton merchandise. Not many. One of my handbags cost around $2,500. I doubt many 'average' or 'everyday' people would drop that kind of money on something to put stuff in... 9 out of 10 LV handbags you see are probably fake, fake, fake. I got lucky with mine, as mine was a gift for academic-related achievements.

Anyway.

I LOVE my Limited girls. I have two. I have a Volks Rose and a Volks Suiseiseki. To me, they have more charm than the other non-limited girls I have owned... I guess it's the magic of seeing something in person that you don't see online often. It makes you feel accomplished and lucky, I guess. I love taking my girls to meet-ups because everyone LOVES seeing them, because there isn't a load of them out there.

HOWEVER.

I have a HUGE list of dolls I want that are NOT limited. I will love them just as much when the time comes for me to get them!

16. I'm still shocked that people claim to have never encountered elitism.

If you buy something because it's limited and for the sole purpose that 'not everyone will have it'. That's elitism.

Personally, I don't see the point in LEs. Why not just add the doll or sculpt to the regular roster so everyone can own one if they choose? If it's just a matter of them having a certain enviable outfit, then I suggest people start learning to sew. ;)

17. Not really...it's not claiming that you're better than the people who don't have it, nor does it mean that you're going to shove having it in people's faces, nor does it mean that there's anything wrong with other people's non LE dolls. Some people are just more attracted to dolls that they don't see everywhere. Some want the thrill of the chase, and the excitement of getting a hold of something that's difficult to get. Non of which is a comment on the worth of their fellow hobbyists.

That said, yes there are genuine elitist out there, BUT:

A. They're not nearly as common as people make them out to be (we're talking small minority here).

...and

B. People label all sorts of things as elitism that actually aren't, your post being an example of that tendency.

18. Actually, that is exactly what elitism is: wanting to own something simply because you'll be part of a 'select group' that is the only people that own that certain thing. To buy something because you love the sculpt or the doll itself is one thing, but just to own it because others can't is elitist!

I'll grant you that elitism is rare, but I've seen it. And I've seen people deny it exists at the same time.

19. @TheFontBandit
      In response to your reply to me: Now that I read your post I realize that I have encountered this 'elitism', but I never thought this kind of behaviour was worth getting all worked up about. I think the best approach is to simply shrug and walk away.

And you're right about people forming small groups and that there's nothing wrong about it. It's just how we (humans) are 'programmed'. I love sharing with fellow SwD Lucas owners how fond I am of that mold, because they feel the same way. There's an instant connection. Doesn't mean I think any less of other owners.

@Loli_Doll
      It's frustrating, sure, but it doesn't mean that your chances of owning that Delphine have been reduced to zero. Don't give up, there's one in the marketplace right now. She just needs a little bit of patience, that's all.

@RozenMaiden_Girl
      Oh, Suigintou is a wonderful mold. She's an SD13, meaning she's about 58 cm tall. You can find more information of her on angelden.net, together with a direct link to all auctions of her on Y!J (just in case ;p).

@Wolfmammy
      As I see it every human being is guilty of elitism by your reasoning, since everyone wants to be special and stand out, even if it is to only a select few.

20. I have to agree with Taco here, it really is not elitism. A small group is not necessarily a favored group or a dominant group.

If it was? All the things I have made for my dolls and not made available to everyone else in the hobby would make me a horrible elitist. Same with every person who does the same -- since no one else has those things.