1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you like the smell of resin?

May 12, 2010

?
  1. Yes, I like it

2. No, I don't like it

3. I'm indifferent about it

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. Do I like the smell of resin? OH DEAR YES! I love the smell of resin!!!! :D

2. Yes! I like the smell! Especially of DOD ^^

3. The smell of my dolls after they've been out of their boxes for awhile doesn't bother me, but fresh resin odor--especially if it's been closed up, is not particularly pleasant. I had some optional hands in a plastic box, and when I opened that thing up it about knocked me over. Now I always leave the lid partly open to air out.

4. Resin definately stinks to me but I can appretiate the smell as it denotes resin which is in mint condition. Kind of like that "new car" smell you know?

5. My boy has urethane resin that smells so fresh,
      and is at it's peak when I open up his box and get a whiff!
      (wow I really do sound addicted, lol.)

I'm happy it's a smell that I like, otherwise that would
      be kinda painful. I sniff everything...It's a compulsion.

6. I love the smell ^^;;
      But it's not too big of a deal to me, and I wouldn't get a doll just for the smell. Haha.

7. I vote no, it smells toxic. Cause I am fine with an older doll they don't smell or hardly at all. But that over powering new doll just arrived resin smell I could pass on it!

8. ... I randomly sniff my boys' wigs because they still have that new resin smell >.< I love it so much, it smells great to me!

9. In general, yup, I like the smell of resin. I love that first whiff you get on opening a box for the first time. It gives me the same feeling that the 'new toy' smell gave me as a kid...you know, that strong, plastic smell that so many toys have? Yeah...same happy excitement from resin now that I used to get from that smell on newly opened toys as a kid. After that, though, it's not normally strong enough for me to notice it, unless I'm working up close on painting a doll or something...and the fainter smell I only get when looking closely to work on a face-up or blushing...well, it calms me. At least, in short bursts as I bring the work close to me face to look at it more closely. Prolonged exposure to it gives me a head ache, just like prolonged exposure to the smells of any other plastic when I've worked on them and kept them close to my face when I do so.

So...those short bursts of it = love...prolonged exposure = headache and grouchy me.

10. I do not like the smell of resin. When I open a new doll I have to open it outside because the fumes really do bother me a lot. As with any chemical, I get sore throats and lung pain if I breathe in any resin fumes. I think people who have respiratory diseases or asthma should be careful about breathing in concentrated resin fumes.

11. I have to say that I really love the smell, kinda the same way I like the smell of gasoline but knowing that it is really really bad for you I try not to inhale it.

12. I love it.

I try to *avoid* fresh resin if possible because I'm one of those chemically-sensitive sorts... I mean open a magazine with a perfume ad in it? even if it hasn't been "scratched" I can start sniffling in moments.

But still, I love the smell of fresh resin. It has that air of potential about it. I really think it has more to do with the emotional responses tied to the scent than the scent itself. :)

13. I like the smell of Dream of Dolls Resin. I don't like the smell of Soom's resin. Either way all my dolls get a bath when they come home (unless they are strung ungodly tight then I have to wait for string). Washing out the Resin dust is important to me.

I have only had one experience where I've had an asthma attack when I was cleaning a Tan doll, I might be allergic to tan resin... >.>

14. it's like gas (the think you put in your car), in small quantity, it smells kinda nice :)
      resin doesnt smell very nice. i kinda like it cuz... i'm all ''YAY! it has that new doll smell! 8D''

15. The resin smell is amazing. Oh man. I crack open those headcaps just to get a whiff. I tell others, sometimes, "hey hey get a smell doesn't it smell amazing" and most others that I show say that it smells foul.

16. I wouldn't know what it smells like because I don't think I got sent a new doll, I think I got leftovers that were lying around x3 (Two right thighs, really? How does a manufacturer miss that?)
      I would assume it smells like chemicals? When I was wet sanding I smelled a faint chemical smell, and it wasn't something I would love to smell often but I'd take it over orange any day!
      But then again I'm the person who loves to smell my dogs feet :p

17. I don't. If I smell it for too long I start to feel really sick to my stomach and I get a headache. My CD Boy still smells like new resin six months after I got him.

18. I consider the art of inhaling the scent of resin reminiscent of inhaling the smell of gasoline while pumping gasoline. I realize it's unhealthy to do but I can't seem to help myself. I do have a tendency of unconsciously smelling dolls especially when they're new; although, if I'm modifying the doll or something where resin dust is prevalent I'll protect myself.

I consider it to be, just one of those things. :]

19. Yes and no. In one way it reminds me of/causes the excitement of a new doll, but in another way it makes me think about how many of my (possibly brain) cells are dying as I'm smelling that smell.

20. I love that smell! ^^ However, it gives me a headache and often triggers my asthma (and its really bad for you), so sadly enough I can't crack open my girl's head cap to get a smell of the 'new doll' smell! ><